No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Vore's Idea Posts
 Author Vore's Idea Posts
µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-15 14:50   
1. Empire Wide research

a.This Would shorten the time needed to build planets and allow players to enjoy the freedom of combat or trading.

b. This would aslo call for the creation of an emperial Budget since Empire wide Research would cost money to maintain and advance, for example i want to make fusion torps stronger for Cruisers i would first have to be a Admiral or above and Near the Imperial Research facility on the ICC Homeworld once those are checked you have to make sure you have the neccessary fund on your account and the neccessary funds in the Imperial Reserves (it cost players for initial fundind cause they initiated the research, Read on:). This would meaning research would have to be earned through money and time instead of patience and would be permante(at least untill the next MV reset).

c. Well to impliment this we could have planets decated to research thus adding points to the Empire wide research efforts for example: the ICC has 102 planets by rule of this idea 10% of those planets would have to be research planets (this helps to father advance my notion of game play balance and neccessity) so 10% of 102=10 planets (can't have .2 planets) each research planet can preform small ammounts of research decated into Points for example: one planet produces 2500 research points an Hour to advance my Fusion torps to level 2 would cost 45k research points that planet could do it by its self but it would take a long time so you decide to make it an Imperial Research project which would then allocate all RP produced in the Empire to advancing research of the Fusion Torps to lvl-2. To do that an Admiral or better would have to go to that planet where the research was started and select the option of Move to Imperial Research Que and Invest his money into the project (1rp would equal 15k credits) That would only allow the project to be put on the Research que list on the Homeworld (or capital planet in the ICC case) so 45k RP times 15k= 675mil credits the cost to the Empire after research is completed but not taken out all at once so the empire can continously add money from taxation from its planets.

d. Research would divided in to different goups decided by the developers but i suggest military, domestic, foreign, and special research groups. By rule of this idea Military Foreign and Special research projects are teh only groups that would get Imperial attention since domestic research would cover the largest tree and have the most numerous projects not to mention since domestic research is mostly private anyways hence it can stay state-side (shouldn't exceed 8k RP to advance in domestic projects this would allow for stonger planets or industeral centers).

e. Planets that are deemed Research planets are simiply planets that have 10 Basic Research Cities (better to consider each diamond on a planet a city instead one structure) and 5 Advanced research Cities for total of 15 research cities( basic RC produce 100rp per hour while Advanced RC produce 300 RP an hour for a total of 2500 RP points minimal for each research planet. that leaves 16 spaces for econimic and military support(which leads me to more ideas later)

F. to be editied in later

Email µOmniVore
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-15 15:00   
it is a very interesting idea, and i would personaly like to see this implimented to give more depth to the game

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-15 15:34   

Another round of ideas that are not well thought through...

Lets start disassembleing this mess.

Okay, the idea of less building time is tempting, but you havent elaborated on how this work Does it speed up the building process? If so, what speeds it up? What factors in? Details work well here.

Here's where the problem comes in unfortunately.

In many games, research is present. Namely RTS games and the like. However, what is present in all these games is that only one person has control over it. So Admiral and above just wont cut it.

The reason why? Because its easier to define a course of research when only person is at the helm directing it. You might feel its best to move research over into torpedos for cruiser, but someone else might feel that money is better spent towards lasers on dreadnought class ships.

Someone might (god forbid) feel their cannons on their scouts should be the bestest evah, and allocate all the empire's research points into achieving that goal.

Thats why, this system could only remotely work if there was one person - one responsible and knowledgable person doing so.

And getting one person who is that and online at all times to manage it would be difficult indeed.

Another serious issue : Just what is the range of the effects that you can research? Do they simply improve everything, or do they unlock new things? And if so, how does that function?

How will this fit in terms of DS gameplay so as that it does not imbalance a faction over another? How lengthy will every tech tree be to compensate for how long it takes for the MV to reset? Bear in mind, the MV rarely ever resets - maybe once every year, if we're lucky.

And most importantly, how in the world would it fit into 1.484, and improve the game when we are trying to attain a certain sense of balance between all factions, and between all ships?

After all, that is the point of 1.484, that is why modding is being restricted. So how would this idea keep that in mind?

-Ent

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2007-01-15 15:35 ]

µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-15 15:49   
to respond to your post Enterprise this is indeed possible with little change to the game, it simiply allows players to build def bases and other structures w/o having to build research labs on each and every planet allowing also allowing for more structure choices, and the reduction of others like we dont need def bas 1,2 or 3 when we can just have def base and they all get improvements based on the level of research the faction has invested into the desired structures.

as for any admiral placing research in teh Emperial que is unlikely sice you'd have to be grouped to a trusted fleet (any fleet that has been part of anygiven faction for more than 2 weeks) as so no one can change it at anytime and once its qued it cant be undone, since this is real time research it affects all aspects of the faction with in the given fields of research. and since def bases are military they would fall under the military tree which would mean they could only be improved on an imperial wide level.

so no one person could control research just cause they felt like it, there could be a limit or something that prevents players from queing more than 3 items a session or hour or something like that like.

now in my original post i suggested that research would be divided into sub groups, so depending on the type of research i.e. def bases getting range upgrades for its missles would be taken place on an imperal level and would affect all planets, i.e. An FS admiral wants to upgrade def base missle range from lvl 1 to lvl 2 to increase missle range from 1500 gu to 2000gu would cost him 150k credits for intiation fees and cost teh empire oh lets say 35k research points and use the RP generated by 8 outta 10 Basic research cities on a planet so if the icc has 102 planets and 10 are research planets with 10 basic research cities and 5 advanced research cities(BRC generate 100 RP an hour) so that would = 8k RP an hour divided by 35k RP would equal 4 hours rounded up but the game could use rp as needed so as the research starts to finish more and more RP be come availabel for other things or they could be used towards whats next in the que.

[ This Message was edited by: Vore on 2007-01-15 15:59 ]

Email µOmniVore
µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-15 16:27   
to Ship of fools- since all research is primarly managed in the capitals of each faction we then protect our selves from the need to defend research generation points as research planets are considered in my idea. captial planets should in my opinion be the strongest planets in any faction so if you want to disrupt research you have to launch a Massive invasion of the HS just so you can attack te HW. they things are now this after a few days of tweaking could turn out to be a great idea

Email µOmniVore
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-01-15 17:52   
They want planetairy building to be slow, just like they want bombing to be slow.

They do not want you bombing, then rebuilding planets in minutes. Doing this would dramaticly shorten the time it takes to build a planet, and would increase prestige gain from such things - which is already too high.

There's a plan to impliment an "Upgrade" button at some stage in time, but I don't know when.

I wish all posts where in this kind of format. Instead of just "IT SHOULD BE LIKE THIS!!111". Nice post, good reasons - I just don't think it fits in with the game.

- Jack

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-01-15 17:55 ]

Page created in 0.011650 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR