Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » UPGRADED LobbyCamper Particle Game
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author UPGRADED LobbyCamper Particle Game
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-09 11:47   
Hey guys. I figured i would share this with you all.

To Start with, I am by NO WAY a skilled programmer. I had a class on intro to programming last semester which showed me the most basics of programming (structs are still a mystery to me).

Anyway, With a lot of trial and error and then more error, I made a little game. A very basic game.

I figured you might like playing around with it, so here it is:

Controls:

'A' Pauses the whole game.
'S' stops the particle motion, permitting you to draw shapes and words.
'D' Deletes all particles and starts fresh.
'F' Changes between Modes:
---- Initial Mode: particles swarm around the 'center of mass'.
---- Second Mode: Particles swarm around either 'center of mass' OR the center of the screen (shown as a small white dot), depending on which each particle is closer to.
---- Third Mode: all particles swarm around the center of the screen (shown as a larger white dot).

'G' Boom Button (you'll see).
'Z' Scale down button. It may seem to be a Zoom Out but it really slows all particles and draws them in towards their point of concentration (either the center of the screen or the 'center of mass').
'X' Toggles between Dispensing particles and Drag particles.

Left-Mouse: Dispenses particles or Drags the 'center of mass' with the influence of 100 particles.

There is a maximum of 5,000 particles and once all 5,000 are out, the Left Mouse is set permanently to Drag-mode. If you press D it returns to dispense mode. If this does not happen press X.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU PRESS A KEY WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE LEFT-MOUSE BUTTON! Like I said, i am not a professional and an odd quark of the game is that if you press some buttons while holding down the left mouse button, the particles run down and out of the bottom of the screen.

Ok. I think it got this Link working now. Its just not the DIRECT link anymore. Go to the link, click the next 2-3 times until you get to the Game link.

Link: GameLink

It seems to be working for me. let me know if it still isnt working for other people.

UPGRADED VERSION

ok, I got tired of dispensing particles manually so I slapped together 2 more ways of placing particles.

New Controls:

'R' Place ALL remaining particles NOW at random locations within the screen.

'T' Toggles: Place particles SLOWLY at random locations within the screen.

NEW LINK: Upgraded GameLink

Ok. i dont intend to upgrade the game any further and still may have time this weekend or something to get the source code up for those of you interested.

Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC2* on 2007-01-11 09:07 ]

icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-01-09 12:26   
im really really sorry to say.... THE LINK works

good game kan fun to play when bored

[ This Message was edited by: Hms.Blueprint *Bomber Squad* on 2007-01-09 12:36 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-09 13:21   
Really Nifty. Would be interested to see the source code. (Since i'm learning C++ and such. I dunno)

Anyway: Just make it so that if a particle leaves the current viewing window it's is automatically deleted.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-09 14:37   
thanks guys. I like the Second Mode the best. You can drag the main group into a little orbit around the center point, or press Z a lot until they all concentrate into the center point and then use the mouse to drag it out into a spiral.

Moving between modes can make cool effects too, Like starting in the third mode and pressing Z G Z G Z G a lot, until the particles fall into a tight circle. Then you press F to change to center-of-mass Mode and it warps and bends from the imperfections of density in the string.

My roommate and I are working on a complete program which will use real physics formulae and stuff pertaining to gravity and density so that we can form little planets and stuff. Yes, we know it's been done a bunch of times before, but we wanna see if we can do it. (impact detection is really causing lag issues atm. 5000 particles each checking the locations of the other 4,999 particles for impacts before they can move yeilds just under 25 million impact detection checks per cycle. Dang, I just thought a way to cut that 25 million down to much less by avoiding checking for impacts between two particles checked in previous impact detection cycles. I better write that down real quick...)

I'll look into posting the source code, but it's a mess with peices of old versions and extra commands and junk. If I can find the time to go thru and mop up the junk, Ill post a clean copy of the source code. I stress IF i have the time. This semester is starting out to look pretty demanding.

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC2* on 2007-01-09 14:42 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-09 14:49   
Awesome fun, however, theres another quark I discovered.

Running the game, closing it, and running it again, and then attempting to play anything that utilizes 3d graphics to either cease functioning or glich up teh graphics.

Solved by restarting computer.

Tested it three times to make sure its definately it, and I'm not sure if its just me or anyone else, but its pretty weird.

-Ent

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-09 14:57   
i think this program utilizes the graphics card the same way a game does, so trying to use it to run two programs may have been the issue. I am just guessing here. I wish BackSlash were here. He would know what is causing it. When i say i slapped this together with trial and error, using things i do not understand, i really mean that. I downloaded DevC++ and found the OpenGL example program (a spinning triangle). I wrote this program by overwriting the spinning triangle. most of the stuff outside the stuff that is drawn I do not understand. How the window is made, declaring all this window class stuff. no idea what that stuff does.

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-01-09 15:21   
wow.....how, ritorical. you pay 9.99 a month to play, so why dont you play instead of making silly games for a sad form of a chat room that you cant even get dirty pictures from.

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-09 15:27   
i wrote it while i was at home for winter break. I had no internet while i was there. Nothing else to do so I did this....

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-10 19:45   
whew... just finished like 7 hours of homework. so, has anyone discovered any more oddities or pretty phenomenon in the game?

oh and fatt:

I considered making it capable of deleting particles but that would have involved re-ordering the assigned locations of the remaining data in the arrays and would have been annoying for me to type. Wouldnt have lagged or crashed the game, but still would have been annoying and I took the lazy RESET ALL button approach.

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC2* on 2007-01-10 19:48 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-10 19:57   
Quote:

On 2007-01-09 15:21, SANITY ASSASSIN wrote:
wow.....how, ritorical. you pay 9.99 a month to play, so why dont you play instead of making silly games for a sad form of a chat room that you cant even get dirty pictures from.

I haven't pay 9.99 a month for this game in two years.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-11 09:02   
I have upgraded the game slightly. See the original post for details.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-11 13:28   
R doesn't randomly fill up the screen, it makes an uber awesome design.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-11 14:48   
R dispenses all remaining particles within the area of the screen and so forms a rectangle, yeah. I thought about making it toss them all out in a circular manner but had to go to calcII class shortly and didnt have the time to think that all the way thru, so again, I went with the easy way out.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-11 14:49   
OH, and remember that Bug i mentioned about pressing buttons while holding down the left mouse button? well, if you hold down the left mouse button and press T, then release the left mouse button, the particles appear slowly/randomly but the bug forcing them all down makes it look like rain... that is kinda cool too.

Legatus Immolation
Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-11 16:09   
really addictive and impressive. i enjoyed making 2 seperate groups of spirals by combinging Big Booms with Z and then switching mode so when group of spirals whizzed round and another group flew past, u zoomed out and u wld eventually see it all rotate. really nice.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019906 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR