Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » I plan to return to DS soon , some thoughts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
 Author I plan to return to DS soon , some thoughts
Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2006-11-19 04:18   
seen many arguments here for not doing it...

but basically they mostly say the same "if you adjust the prestige im / some gonna leave DS"

well as someone rightfully said "more have left DS because of the current bombing issues than will leave because of an prestige adjustment"

land Let me remind you about,The Terms of use, all signed to start playing DS in the first place

From the Service Agreement:

PALESTAR MAY OCCASIONALLY FIND IT NECESSARY TO MAKE CHANGES TO, OR RESET PORTIONS OF, THE DARKSPACE GAME SYSTEM OR CONTENT. THIS MAY INCLUDE, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO: CHANGES IN RANK STRUCTURE, CHANGES IN SHIP OR EQUIPMENT, OR A PROFILE RESET RESULTING IN DATA LOSS.

as i read this, Palestar can at any time make changes to the rank or prestige structure.

thats incl removing or adding an prestige section.

dont like it then BYE BYE

and im still for the zero on the bombing press , i think its more fair than any advanced calculation based on something else , playtime / shipsdammage etc, if all gets the same deal.

btw gives us with all the bages something to work up again and anyway lots of Ds players have to learn bombing the new way, so if there drops a zero on the planet damage or not, all gonna do the bombing spree anyway.

as one that had my profile totally reset about 3 or 4 times, its not so bad and actually fun working something up again

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-11-19 05:31   
Youre unhappy with the bomber Ga's? Fine, then feel free to leave, but don't mess up other peoples game just because you can't handle the fact that they got GA easier than you.

Whats the problem anyway? You can still brag with your non-bomber profile, you and everyone who looks at your profile knows that you're the better player (most likely... so why start punishing players that played the game?

THEY spend money and (more important) their time too.

We oldtimers grew up in another ds, where combat was very different and it was comparably easy to get ship damaged points, even in destroyers.

Today you need some serious fire power to do damage, firepower thats not found on ships noobs can use.

So stop being inconsiderate and get back to playing the game, show those bomber-Ga that you can smack em without resorting to attacking their pres.

"Take a hit for the community"

bah, why dont YOU take a hit for a change of pace? learn to live with it.

[ This Message was edited by: Daimen -[iNcONvEnIeNcE]- on 2006-11-19 06:19 ]

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-11-19 10:20   
complete wipe i say! =p

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-11-19 19:55   
i dont like where this is going -.-

Email GothThug {C?}
Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-11-19 22:00   
Ok so its annoying that noobs get to fly around in Dreads and stations without working hard like some other people but so what? in that fact they probably can't do anything on combat so its really just free pres for the people that DO know how to use them and yah its annoying that the MV is always wiped but thats just another way to get pres by building it back so i say leave the pres and let the noobs have their stations and dreads just means more combat pres for me and less loss of ship.

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-11-20 01:44   
I have an Idea for the bombing stat issue....

You can do this one of two ways....

A) Remove all bomb damage pres gained after the inception date of this version (which I wouldn't mind since I do about 80% Nueting anyways so my Pres gainsed since then is not that huge) or...

B) do a pro-rated approach based on time played (ie how long you have been here) vs. Bomb Pres Gained.... (which I wouldn't mind either)...

This would severly hamper those that have "Bomb Whored" thier way up the rankings quickly since 1.483 was released... It would also be balanced since it would be based on time vs. stats...

A player just starting out say a few months ago would have less a hit do to the small length of time with the game where as those that started around the time 1.483 started and have substantial imbalance in thier over all stats (one account... no names... has 12K bombing were as all other stats are at 1K or below) woould be drastically reduced to a more balanced ratio...

This would not effect long term players as much, since they are LONG TERM players, and the TIME vs stats reduction would not be as severe thanks to the time invested with the game....

I believe this formula, once I work it out, would be an easy way to calculate a bombing stat reduction without...

A) A total bomb stat wipe...

B) punishing those that earned a good portion of their bombing stats in a previous version.

C) punishing those that have just started the game (say within the last 1-4 months)

I will work on the formula and post it here when I am confidant it will be able to balance out all the bombing stats in preperation for 1484 without driving away the mass of remaining players.

Good day people!

RW

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-11-20 02:44   
only problem with that rocko is that if some people lost there nice ga ranks they would quit, which would hurt the game more than leaving it. personaly look at l;ike this people who been here 2 months and only got admiral by bombing is gonna be easy combat press next patch

Email Borgie
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-11-20 07:00   
Ok, just to make my position an actual case:

Any attempt to mathemagically "fix" the bombing points is bound to fail, simply because there's no way of telling where any amount of bombing pres is coming from. Someone might have bombed all the time with nothing but neutrons, and another only levelled a couple of planets with mirv until he had his badge - how are you going to separate them? This gets even more complicated with players registered before the questionable release..

So if you can't do it right, you got to at least do it fair, that means same treatment for everyone.

So are you going to reduce bombing to 1000 or zero?

It really doesn't matter much for prestige points whether it goes to 1000 or 0. So it boils down to do you want to force players to bomb "properly" to gain this stat, or do you just want to punish your players for a mistake *you* made? I think the answer here is clear, too.. (*1)

So we're down to wiping one stat of the profile to zero. We're left with an acceptance problem..
That's not a technical, but a psychosociologial problem..

IMHO it would be a lot easier, since this new version is intended to *not only* fix the bombing issues, but also *finally* re-design the game mechanics for good, to sell an overall prestige reset than a simple wipe of one stat.(*2)

As proposed, the old profiles and ranking should still be accessible for bragging rights, and a new profile be generated for active use, starting at zero..

You're thinking you might lose players over this? Well, if the new version keeps what it promises, then it will bring this game back to life. What better proof or test can you imagine than to make everyone a newbie? I believe the overall effect would be positive.. Make a little campaign concerted with the release, and all the former GAs will fly together with the influx of new players.. Within a couple of days, the most dedicated will be back to VA or higher, and within a month or two we will see the first stations crop up. We'd actually get useable feedback for all tasks and ship classes, starting with the smaller (and for the beginner (read: future customer)) more relevant ships, we'd get it first. We'd also get useable statistics on the pace of the game, the difficulty of actual prestige gain and balance between the stats..

Work things out and make a targeted poll with the playerbase by eMail: Include the list of changes (use colourful wording) and ask: Would you come back if you had to start over? Would you leave if you have to start over? Would you leave either way? Would you come back either way? (obviously this needs to be worked out more finely)

Then decide.
Everything else is just carrying on with the same old issues, imho.

Now, of course, there are a couple of issues with that approach.

However, they might be solveable in one or two ways:

a) introduce an alternative server, where everyone can use his old profile, which will never change again.
b) transfer the old profile to beta, and leave beta open for testing.

(*1): what about new players, that have not even reached gold bomber yet?
(*2): because, honestly, the bombing is only part of the problems we're facing

[ This Message was edited by: sono on 2006-11-20 07:09 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Page created in 0.016086 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR