No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - almand

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » DarkSpace Events » » Event idea - MV Map Design
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Event idea - MV Map Design
NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 10:27   
So far heres the outcome, no the stars aren't complete yet, but heres how it looks like with 'real' jump lines. I revised the ICC side a bit as well.

Also the system that jumps into the home system, the home 'jump' will pass by a planet, therefor stopping you, generally it may lead to people actully capping before the home system and such.

Not sure if we should just have a home sector thats not SOL, like one past. With just two planets and a safezone set up, so people can actually cap sol. More like a SOL planet base for people to ready ships and such.. What do you all think?

And sorry for the image posting. I do love to show work as I go by.

(removed image, new image below)

Oh none are 'faction' owned yet. I'll have to see too it.

[small][ This Message was edited by: NiteHawk on 2006-10-23 10:27 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: NiteHawk on 2006-10-24 01:15 ]

Email NiteHawk
NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 16:17   
The Vega System is the farmost the area which you want to capture before advancing on the others. Reason because the resources there are very plentiful, not many barrens, etc etc..

I finished it here, it basiclly is the mean planets, you will have a hard time bombing alone, just for that reason

As you can see, take a look to whom I named them too; the Knights of the Round Table. I think it was a pretty neat choice for such a evil system. Just a shame the screenshot has it all togther, its more or less suppost to be.

Oh and there is two suns there, Vega, and Vega II.

[ This Message was edited by: NiteHawk on 2006-10-23 16:18 ]

Email NiteHawk
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-10-23 18:33   
I do like your MV. It has lots of room yet, still a definable front-line to defend. And its kinda spiral-like, like a galaxy....

just put my MV in the admiral server, or better yet, a new server, like a cross between the admiral server and the MV... It resets each week, and bonus pres to all players on the winning faction (incentive to join a fleet).

That would be cool.

Bash
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 22:17   
Sounds good you two.

Keep up the good work kan.
01:38:43 Shigernafy: "never trust a brit with your website.."

This message brought to you by the Flying Coffin Foundation"

12:02:07 Doran: "and you never hear AI complaining about how dumb players are"

NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-24 01:15   
I'm not sure weither to make a new topic to tell people to see if they like it or not, but for now I won't as not to spam it.

Generally its' complete the way I want it for sampling, all stars are complete, hopefully you'll all like it, since it is different from the regular MV. I think its' a neat little change from the MV..

If you need, report any bugs via PM, I know there will probably be a few... Any suggestions are welcome as well... Generally to sum it up it has unlinked stars, generally seperating the middle and factions. It promotes more building this way to continue advancing, becuase if you don't, then you'll have a fun time always jumping 2-3 minutes (I believe) each time to get back into battle.

It also stops people from rapidly coming back if they are advancing on a area using long jump. Thanks to Kanman's awesome ideas is the reason why I even did these maps.

No secret areas in this one right now..

The map is as follows:

As you can see you all start with already owned planets. I'll probably have to tweak them as I see... K'luth has two openings, but hey, they do like combat, don't they?

Vega is a prime place to hold, many planets, named after the Knights of the Round if you did not notice, some other new systems are as named after different things as well, go find them out if you are curious.

Hopefully this would promote something perhaps in the next Darkspace update, I personally think it would be a nice addition to have a map similar to this one.. But thats' just my say..

Anyways, enjoy!

Email NiteHawk
NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-24 14:08   
What does everyone think about 'hidden' areas like the old MV had? Good idea? Bad idea?

Also perhaps a few cluster of planets to the left and right of the map, fill in some holes in the MV map and to make more of a challange sort of thing. We could do a cluster of 2/3 systems on the left or right side. I'm not sure.

Generally it would be one or the other, hidden systems, non hidden but far out, or leave it as is though... Suggestions?:P

Email NiteHawk
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-10-24 14:36   
I have an Idea for a map.. I'll post it once I get back to a comp with better things to work with..

Email Supertrooper
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-24 15:08   
While I in theory like having your home system a bit more secluded to make it harder to get to for the enemies, the problem with the huge gate-less gaps between solar cluters is that you then have to go to the same trouble to get anywhere near combat. Yes, you can put a shipyard in the central area and get by that.. but once you get kicked out of that area, its a pain the rear to get back in - keeping in mind that WH's on stations will have a maximum range of 300k.

It just seems like it will be introducing some annoying delays.

Or am I alone in this? Everyone who's been posting here seems to like the idea.

Email Shigernafy
NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-24 15:16   
I like to get the cons too

Aye it can be true, annoying and such. I mean personally if it got to be a pain etc etc we could say reduce the length of the jump to a shorter amount of time, and not some long delay everyone is dreading. Right now its about 3 minutes. but we can always reduce it if its annoying, or remove them completely. I'd perfer people to post on it like you did.

There could also be something like extending out the jumpgate on the areas where we were going to do long jumps, just so its a few seconds longer etc etc. Don't know really. Just basing it off what people like. Wish I could poll it..

If theres a mix we can do something like a minute jump, or 30 seconds. something thats low that won't annoy people but will stop people from instant getting into battle, as well as leading more correct building and SY's that are actually usable.

[ This Message was edited by: NiteHawk on 2006-10-24 15:19 ]

Email NiteHawk
Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-10-24 16:53   
Ideally...

We'd have Jumpgates change to where they refuse entry to other factions if they're owned by a faction - and then make a few gates owned in the home systems... either so you can't get into the last system or two, Or just have a gate from Centerville to each Edgeton that is owned by the Edgeton faction.

This is not something we can do as easily as the design of the map (as it requires programming instead of Editor use), but its a thought.

If we were dreaming, how does that sound?

Email Mithrandir
NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-24 21:26   
You have everyone beat with just lifting a pinky it seems..

It would be the best idea while still pertaining the normal MV style. I like it.

At least I had fun making the map Was good to play around with the editor again after so long, even though it ain't even hard at all. I'll probably start scripting again too... Woo, LUA! I'll probably base the map I've been doing for some fun stuff

I'll prob keep it up that little MV for fun sake for a couple days. I got some testing to do...

Email NiteHawk
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-24 22:23   
hey, you 'member when fleets used to bring supplys along and long jump between stars?

//yeah ne meither.

Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-10-25 01:41   
Only when the jumpgates were mined or camped.. it wasn't really the ideal solution for traveling between systems. Though it was kinda fun to hit the server boundary and get to see the little cutscene of sorts as you were handed off between servers.

Email Mithrandir
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.021970 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR