No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » I don't get it
 Author I don't get it
Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-19 09:53   
i read an article on mmo's but i don't understand what it means. can someone help me figure out what's going on.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14144

Here's the site

Email Walrus of Apathy
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-19 09:59   
In many MMOG's you can buy Stuff (Items) or Charachters for Real Life Money. Once usualy Player to Player it actualy has Evolved to a new form of Merchandise. Many Firms actualy Start to sell Ingame Stuff for Real Money.

Thats why the Government thinks about taxing that.

Nothing wrong with that imho.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-19 10:27   
so there taxing real us dollars for buying game things?

Email Walrus of Apathy
Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-19 10:31   
There taxing all ingame products, so yes taxing real money

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
Cadet

Posted: 2006-10-19 10:40   
Quote:

On 2006-10-19 09:53, beastkiller wrote:
i read an article on mmo's but i don't understand what it means. can someone help me figure out what's going on.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14144

Here's the site

me nether and they tax whatever they can find
"03:01:01 Rogue Spear: When i first read Squad Broken, i thought Squad Broken was actually Rev's life story"

Email BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)   Goto the website of BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2006-10-19 11:52   
In most games, like EVE, it's against the EULA to trade items for real life money. You most likely will get permanently banned for it if you get caught at it.

Also, I think some countries laws consider it a way of money laundering, so I wouldnt take that as a hobby myself.

Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-19 19:13   
^^

You know, Sony and Cohorts startet "selling" ingame stuff for Real Life currency. I think thats where they wanna tax.

Its basicly impossible to tax the "illegal" transactions. (usualy in games where it is forbidden) since they are done via Paypal and stuff.

Zepher
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-19 19:39   
don’t know who here has seen www.secondlife.com but from what i have seen the currency here can be traded for your countries currency so in theory you can make money off of this. i myself haven't played this "game" but is said to be the closest thing to real life.

Email Zepher
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-10-19 23:50   
basicly the us goverment wants to start taxing items bought for ingame play, hense if you want that new armor, it would be just like buying a new shirt at old navy

Email Borgie
Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2006-10-19 23:53   
Hint: Check out EBay for DIABLO 2. I havent checked or even bothered with it all since I view it as a waste, but last time I checked for the simple curiosity, there were TONS of stuff being sold from single items to developed characters to mules (storage characters). Often times this stuff might sell for more than it costs to buy a new copy of Diablo 2...or even MULTIPLE copies.

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-20 17:51   
Quote:

On 2006-10-19 19:39, Troy Mars(Mirv Harlot FTW) wrote:
don’t know who here has seen http://www.secondlife.com but from what i have seen the currency here can be traded for your countries currency so in theory you can make money off of this. i myself haven't played this "game" but is said to be the closest thing to real life.

i have that game troy and its true you can trade ingame money for real money... but the exchange rate is bad... its 10k game money for 40-60$ and its never solid... one day you might have that 10k so you can get that new game you were eyeing but... that day its now 15k for 45$ or 30$ so its kinda like stock you have to know when to sell.

it is allso verry close to RL some of the things you can do in there i cant say here, but its a good way to make money on the side.

Olbaid
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-20 18:41   
I also have had experience in the "game" second life, and it is far from "real" life... there are so many ubsurd things you can do in it...
also there was an artice writen recently about a woman that is making $5k USD a week in what she is doing in game... kinda makes you concider quiting your job...

((...If Knowledge is Power...

...and Power Corrupts...

...Study hard and be Evil...))

[2006] - Codex09
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-21 00:24   

I have played(?) 2nd Life and there are some things that are close to real life, but most things in there are of a fantasy nature. You see 2nd Life is supposed to be abut doing the things you would like to do but haven't and thus you use your 2nd life to do them.

As for the currency yes you can actually buy wht they call linden dollars or credits for US dollars (well they like it to be in US dollars, maybe you can do it in other currencies I am not sure, but either way your money will be converted into US dollars).

As a few others have stated there is a few things that go on in that sim that you couldn't talk about on here without getting yourself banned and if people would like to experience it do a google search and go have a look, it is free to play unless you want to be able to buy land and get a few other small things (eg 2000 a week as long as you login 2 times a week, well thats what I get)

Page created in 0.029229 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR