No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » is 484's new modding system really nessessary?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author is 484's new modding system really nessessary?
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-16 16:22   
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 06:59, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

There is no need for this, the current rings serve as an indicator only, and it would be hard for someone to try and look at a scout going that quickly with rings hugged to its hulls. Also some of us who are colour blind would not be able to distincivly recognize it, so I don't see what it really does bring to the game, although me and Draf did want to do something different with armor rings a while gack.

No. The weapons hit the ring, and it's like the weapons magically hit the hull. You can keep the rings as indicator, but make weapons have to hit the model not the armor rings.

Quote:

I don't see a problem with this really. And you're actually wrong. Once someone is out of range of a weapon (beam), it will not do any damage. The reason you still take damage is because the server is still sending you information from when you where next to the dread - you simply havn't recieved allthe data.

what about particle weapons(p-cannon, railgun)? They still fire. And I would like to test this out on you one day, to se if that is true.

Quote:

Two UGTO Torp Cruisers.

For instance lets give them some loadouts..

TC #1 = 9 CL's, 7 Torps.
TC #2 = 5 CL's, 4 Flux Beams, 7 Torps.

TC #1 does more damage than TC #2, but, TC #2 will do more systems damage than TC #2, therefor it should level out, as TC #2 will go into armour sooner than TC #1, but once TC #1 does, his systems will start to degrade.

See what I'm getting at here?

No, I don't. I'm pretty sure you made some number mix-ups, and i'm not going to point and go "LOL!" at you.

but what you forgot to mention in this, at all, is player skill. If the TC with the 9 cl's wait till they get close, it'll win. Why? Flux beams do little hull damage, but major system damage. I am not sure if Flux beams do more damage closer, but by the time you get through the armor rings with 4 CL's, you'll be dead. Or a lot closer to dead then you should be.

Let's test that out. Let's try everything. I'm more then up for starting a server and using your new values to see how things work (of course, 1 on 1 is never a fair basis of a fleet battle)

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-16 23:49   
i love it how Jack and Fattie fight. it is a good show.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-17 19:56   
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 23:49, leonide wrote:

fight? no. We are debating.

whatever stupid word you wish to use to label what we are doing......

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-18 00:22   
Quote:

On 2006-10-17 19:56, Fattierob (x2 ND-001 Nadesico) wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 23:49, leonide wrote:

fight? no. We are debating.

whatever stupid word you wish to use to label what we are doing......

debate? that is what presidential canditates do every 4 years..... <.=.<

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Bitopherous
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2006-10-22 00:56   
Ok, I skipped ahead and hit reply after Shigs [first?] post, so tell me how uninformed I am and all that if i missed something important.

First, BackSlash said something about the modding being "too complex" for the new kids? Maybe Im in the minority, but when I downloaded the client for this game, the complexity of this game was what got me hooked. I loved everything from the building, to the giant ships dwarfing my extractor, to the modding that actually gave me a sense of ownership and personalization over my little boat. Complexity, bad? I dont think so.

Second, and again, maybe Im in the minority, but what was wrong with the old [.480] modding system? Frankly, the huge (or what is considered huge now) array of different ship configs was what made the MV interesting, and dare I say it, exciting. There weren't 40 weapon slots on a cruiser, but you could do a lot with those slots. Anyone remember the old Heavy Cruiser? Or the old version of the Assault Dread? They were ships that could be modded for many different types of combat.

A few quick hits for you from the past to let you know what I mean:

• The aforementioned Assault Dread: modded with all torpedoes and sabots, the Assault Dread was a close combat machine. It could make holes in anything. Need more flexibility? Replace the sabots with psi cannons, or even psi missiles. Or, should the need arise for a missile ship that could finish off its target with lasers, replace the torps with IT missiles.

• The Heavy Cruiser: Much like the Assault Dread, the Heavy Cruiser could be modded with a good mix of weaponary to give it the ability to engage any target the pilot expected to encounter. And it had a fighter!

• The Battle Dread: Armed with sabots, psi, flux...the Battle Dread was often overshadowed by the EAD, but it was efficient at what it was supposed to do. And the way you could mod it to fit whatever you need was nice because you werent bound to ONE FREAKING model.

• Most K'Luth ships: Ok, so this isnt all that variable...Besides the option for mines (which were freakin cool, and will be mentioned below) most Kluth went with CL2Ks and torpedoes. Actually, the next version, in .481 took Kluth modding a step further, and let them mod more than one ELF, which gave them more modding options, which was a good step, because modding again took a more cognitive tone about it.

• Shields/Armor: Remember when ICC could swap shields and armor? It actually forced the pilot to think about what he was doing and who he might be facing. The K'Luth could drain their shields but not power, but the UGTO could flux through their armor...choices.

• Mines: Mine ships really added to the dimension of outthinking your enemy and outpiloting him, rather than simply pressing spacebar the fastest. Mines added a skill factor to the battle for both the Mine-r and the Mine-ee. The Mine-r had to get himself into position to attack with a non-moving weapon, and the Mine-ee had to simply keep out of range. Good times, until mines were made useless.

These were the things that made the game interesting in the context of modding. Complexity is good. I do not think I am alone when I say that I do not want to fight a mirror image of the ship I am piloting, and this whole idea of "balance until there is no discernible difference between the different factions other than their artwork" sucks.

Bito

Sorry if this isn't coherent at the end, but Im getting a bit tired (and, apparently, belligerent). We go from needing "minor tweaks" to "major overhauls," and I dont think Im the only one wondering what happened.

Email Bitopherous
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-22 07:27   
Ah, you see, we want to make it like that.

The new modding system is just to make it easier. Currently it's a pain in the rear end to right click and replace everything, and when a lag spike hits, you can duplicate slots (bad!). This is a system which is aimed at making it easier for new players to learn, and to stop the duplicate slot error (hopefully).

Second of all, this system still allows you modding, just not so much that it breaks the game. We want to give each ship a role, and make it useful in that roll. We wan't players to be thinking "Do I really need to modify this ship?" - as it's already useful. We most likely will be locking out faction tech in 1.484, it just breaks the game in so many ways. Everyone rolling around with particle cannons, and everyone using fusion torpedo's... It's not such a bad thing to be honest (locking tech), a specific factions tech was meant for that faction, not for another - it's the whole reason faction tech was designed. We'll most likely have to look at weapons, so things like fusion torpedo's don't do more damage over a small amount of time than any other torp, but we will define rolls to each ship to make them useful, so you won't need to modify them at all, if much.

For instance, say we fit the assault cruiser with a ton of torps and beams. "Woot!". But, it has no cannons and no real long range weapons, so we bring in the heavy cruiser, has some long range arments (ICC are long range based), and some cannons - not many (if any) torpedo's, and few beams. You see where I'm heading? If you want to do A) you bring ship A, if you want to do B), you bring ship B. We don't want to see...

"I'm modding ship A to do thing B) because ship A is better than ship B at thing B) when modded!".

This will make fleet organisation important, and bringing a mix and match of things very important. If everyone just brings assault cruisers, you're going to have no long range weapons if you go and try to assault a planet, and you're going to have to endanger yourself by getting close to the planet.

I hope this clears up a bit of confusion some-what.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-22 10:22   
Quote:

On 2006-10-22 00:56, Bitopherous wrote:
Ok, I skipped ahead and hit reply after Shigs [first?] post, so tell me how uninformed I am and all that if i missed something important.

First, BackSlash said something about the modding being "too complex" for the new kids? Maybe Im in the minority, but when I downloaded the client for this game, the complexity of this game was what got me hooked. I loved everything from the building, to the giant ships dwarfing my extractor, to the modding that actually gave me a sense of ownership and personalization over my little boat. Complexity, bad? I dont think so.

Second, and again, maybe Im in the minority, but what was wrong with the old [.480] modding system? Frankly, the huge (or what is considered huge now) array of different ship configs was what made the MV interesting, and dare I say it, exciting. There weren't 40 weapon slots on a cruiser, but you could do a lot with those slots. Anyone remember the old Heavy Cruiser? Or the old version of the Assault Dread? They were ships that could be modded for many different types of combat.

ah the goold old days.. id like to says its as complex as you want to make it. its kind of a learning curve issue, simple for new players (if all you want to do is fight, just hop in a ship and go), players with some time and skill under their belts can get into more advanced stuff like trade routes (what was it? .481 or 2 that had the To/From trade route buttons?) and the Macroecomics of Aggregate Supply and Demand in the the Tau Ceti Black Market.

A few quick hits for you from the past to let you know what I mean:

• The Battle Dread: Armed with sabots, psi, flux...the Battle Dread was often overshadowed by the EAD, but it was efficient at what it was supposed to do. And the way you could mod it to fit whatever you need was nice because you werent bound to ONE FREAKING model.

i loved my bd.. 3 R1500s, 7 pcannons, 3 CL2ks, could alpha at 20gu/s till the cows came home..

• Mines: Mine ships really added to the dimension of outthinking your enemy and outpiloting him, rather than simply pressing spacebar the fastest. Mines added a skill factor to the battle for both the Mine-r and the Mine-ee. The Mine-r had to get himself into position to attack with a non-moving weapon, and the Mine-ee had to simply keep out of range. Good times, until mines were made useless.

not to mention mine fields around gates

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-22 12:47   
Mines would be great - we just need to impliment them in a way that doesn't overpower them (1.480) or nerf them completly (1.483). Drafell wanted to lower armor values (we'll also lower weapon damage so this levels out), we just need to figure out a way that doesn't make the mines compeltly overpowered. I see it as a bit unfair that the first ships through a gate should be completly destroyed, without being able to do anything.

Bitopherous
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2006-10-22 23:18   
If you dont want to be destroyed by mines going through the gate, long jump. Plenty of people used to do it. God forbid people take time to think outside the norm. I don't want to be killed by gate camping fleets, can we find a way to cut back on those too?

The problem I'm seeing is a slow turn towards arcade-esque style gameplay; bleh. All torps are going to be the same? The fun in the old versions was figuring out which torps worked best for you (and what you were shooting at) and modding accordingly.

Need long range cannons? There were those! Need some intermediate, fast shooting cannons to hit smaller, quicker ships? Got those too! Now, we move toward all cannons (Particle, rail, psi, etc) being the same range, power, etc, and that=boring. Making the different factions have different weapons with different strengths and weaknesses (tradeoffs, anyone?) gives you lots of different combos to mod with (unless you decide to use gauss...)

Anywho, just something to think about. Here's to hoping we dont end up in a DS version of one of those 80s arcade shooters going "pew pew"...

Email Bitopherous
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 05:13   
Quote:

On 2006-10-22 07:27, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Ah, you see, we want to make it like that.

The new modding system is just to make it easier. Currently it's a pain in the rear end to right click and replace everything, and when a lag spike hits, you can duplicate slots (bad!). This is a system which is aimed at making it easier for new players to learn, and to stop the duplicate slot error (hopefully). You mean Restrictive Modding? uh no, what would be the point of Darkspace if we had RESTRICTIVE modding on all ships? come on i thought this was supposed to be a fun game not a restrictive game

Second of all, this system still allows you modding, just not so much that it breaks the game. We want to give each ship a role, and make it useful in that roll. We wan't players to be thinking "Do I really need to modify this ship?" - as it's already useful. We most likely will be locking out faction tech in 1.484, it just breaks the game in so many ways. Everyone rolling around with particle cannons, and everyone using fusion torpedo's... It's not such a bad thing to be honest (locking tech), a specific factions tech was meant for that faction, not for another - it's the whole reason faction tech was designed. We'll most likely have to look at weapons, so things like fusion torpedo's don't do more damage over a small amount of time than any other torp, but we will define rolls to each ship to make them useful, so you won't need to modify them at all, if much. This system should not Restrict All Factions Tech, for 1 it gives this game depth on how we aquire the other tech such as stealing or "borrowing the tech", dont lock the tech it makes the game unfun and less appealing.

For instance, say we fit the assault cruiser with a ton of torps and beams. "Woot!". But, it has no cannons and no real long range weapons, so we bring in the heavy cruiser, has some long range arments (ICC are long range based), and some cannons - not many (if any) torpedo's, and few beams. You see where I'm heading? If you want to do A) you bring ship A, if you want to do B), you bring ship B. We don't want to see...

"I'm modding ship A to do thing B) because ship A is better than ship B at thing B) when modded!".

This will make fleet organisation important, and bringing a mix and match of things very important. If everyone just brings assault cruisers, you're going to have no long range weapons if you go and try to assault a planet, and you're going to have to endanger yourself by getting close to the planet.

I hope this clears up a bit of confusion some-what. no it doesnt clear up any confusion, it in fact makes the confusion worse for people like me who like all cannons and not lasers, in my opinion. Fix the damn Lag and the mirv bug, modding does NOT need to be fixed...by the way if you wanna avoid a damn slot duplication...just do what i do wait until the lag spike is over or press the damn slot once and wait that way you wont have a dup slot lol

all In all jack, 484 is supposed to make BOMBING harder NOT GAME PLAY in essence, fix bombing, fix the lag, but leaving modding (excluding levels) alone, and let us use each others tech, i mean damn, is it that hard too fix bombing rather than screw it up more by Restricting us too basic modding? NO ITS NOT......

so i go by my original question...is 484's new modding system really nessessary? no its not, its restrictive and boring from what i've seen i can already tell you that alot of people will leave if this version actually goes through, i know you're a Dev now jack, but please keep modding as it is and fix the bombing and the lag....lag and bombing are the freaking issues here not modding our ships, i think we have lost sight of that issue yes? im done

Email GothThug {C?}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-23 05:18   
Nono, I don't mind being killed by a superior fleet, or even a fleet at that - it's not being able to avoid mines. People can just spam them at an exit point to a gate, and oblitorate anyone who comes through - which isn't very balanced in my opinion, it's a sure fire way to kill someone, without a way to avoid it or know it's there.

We also don't want all torps to be the same. We want Kluth's to do more damage, take longer to recharge, etc, etc, and keep the factions style of play in the weapons. But, we can no longer allow this wishy washy modding style - it breaks the game and makes it VERY difficult to balance. Why where fusion torps invented? To take less energy, so that ICC could fire them and still keep their shields up, same sort of thing with the railgun - when people start swapping them, you start seeing things like Kluth being able to fire a lot longer (and therein doing more damage) - that's just a simple case, there are other issues aswell, like the drives being able to be swapped, but I'm not going to go into detail on this, I'm sure you all know that it's silly.

Also, we're not restricting you to anything. If you want a mix and match, take the ship that's got that, or if you want all torps and beams, take the ship with that. There will still be moddable things, and in the future, we can always add more weapons - but un-restricted modding just complicates things much more.

And I have no idea why you think all weapons and such are going to be the same - never once did I say that. There will be variances, to keep the faction-type style of play true to that faction.

Think 1.480 with faction locked gear.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 05:42   
oh my freaking god, i do NOT see how it breaks this game to keep modding as it is..... if anything having 50 UGTO breaks the game and not enough kluth or ICC to make a difference too defend systems you all invade or vice versa, no my friend what breaks this game is the bugs, not the modding

Email GothThug {C?}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-23 13:21   
So everyone running around with particle cannons and f torps is not breaking the game? The game wasn't designed for that - it was designed for players to use their own faction tech to keep it balanced.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 13:32   
Make mines have to be manually detonated. That make fix the problem of being too strong or too nerfed.

Proximity mines (or homing, whatever), would be weaker, but they would be a "fire and forget"

in all, I agree with bob said. <3

Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 18:42   
"I do not think I am alone when I say that I do not want to fight a mirror image of the ship I am piloting."

Amen.

+ I say it again:

Modding was one of the reasons im here, so if you kick that out of the game you better make sure the new ship layouts rule.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021675 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR