No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +7.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » A DS antidefamation Pleadge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author A DS antidefamation Pleadge
Fatal Lexington
Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-25 14:22   
To 115026 [FS] PadmaVajra,

I agree with Padma on the use of certain hurtfull slang words being used.

A community isnt going to grow if we insult players personally because of thier playing style and use words like whore or thats gay etc. First the last thing we need is parents banning younger players from playing because they show up to the dinner table calling thier sister a "mirvwhore".

Secondly, with a screen and wires between us we dont seam to realise our words here can actually be hurtfull to persons who may choose to go to other games because of it.

There is a climate of anti mirving and thats fine but if someone wants to mirv thats thier buisness, I belong to a fleet that chooses not to mirv or directly sup mirv attacks but Im not going to look down on someone who does mirv. If no one in the MV ever mirved there would be no need for contruction and I like building.

When I first started it was about modding PDs and EDs if you used them you were regularly harassed by even your own side. Now that has ebbed a bit and I see more of them in combat all the time.

Relax on the MIRV hate a bit please. Even though I dont mirv it gives me somthing to build at 4 am when combat is non exsistant and try to remember that what you say in the MV is to real people not AI players.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-08-25 17:11   
FYI: Its not just "Mirv whore" in question. Its ALL uses of the word "Whore" to describe the overuse of something to one's own advantage. Mirv is just the most prolific one due to the sheer number of people who abuse it. Build whore, sup whore, and yes - even combat whore are all terms that are in use. Mirv whore just has a negative connotation due to the current status of MIRVs (IE: Broken).

I also stand by my original post in Pad's thread. It is used in the DS community in such a way so as it does NOT degrade deframe or insult anyone but the usage in question (IE: Mirv, Build, Combat) and in some cases it can even be a compliment.

And like Sythe said...
Quote:
whore (hôr, hr)

3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.

Padma is the ONLY person that I have seen that connects the usage of terms like "Mirv whore" and "Build whore" with degrading women...

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Poopshackles
Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-25 17:31   
Usage of the word should stop because some people find it offensive, nothing to do with rights but simply to make the game better for everyone. If DS players can't come up with something better to call me it is a sad day for the DS community.

!Lono! {Rogue Kluth}
Cadet

Posted: 2006-08-25 17:45   
Because i am offended by ur name.. i will ask u to change it as it is hurtful to me and my children. please rename urself to Fecalmattershackles please.

thnx.

Goto the website of !Lono! {Rogue Kluth}
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-08-25 20:19   
if we start banning words that have double meanings like the word "whore" we are no better than the extreme liberals and orginizations like the ACLU. i disagree with banning "whore" because it has two meanings, and one of those meanings is not directed toward degrading women. i do not like my freedom of speech stomped upon by one or two people, and i stand firm on my belief.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-25 20:41   
Quote:

On 2006-08-25 17:11, Coeus [I want 482 back] wrote:

Padma is the ONLY person that I have seen that connects the usage of terms like "Mirv whore" and "Build whore" with degrading women...

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-25 20:55   
Quote:

On 2006-08-25 14:22, Lexington*P2* wrote:
First the last thing we need is parents banning younger players from playing because they show up to the dinner table calling thier sister a "mirvwhore".

Lexington, meet slippery slope. Slippery slope, Lexington.

Email Tbone
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-08-25 21:22   
Thin Ice also happens to be Slippery Slope's best friend.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Fatal Lexington
Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-25 23:42   
What ever. So if you want to run off players use all the dirty little words you can come up with. All it shows is a lack of imagination and disregarde for your fellow players.

Just because you can find it in the dictionary dosnt make it any the less hurtfull and I dont see how its different then any other swear word and against the r.o.c. anyway.

If you actually read my post you would know that Im not faulting anyones playing style its strictly the use of profanity in MV where there are kids running around that bothers me.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-08-26 00:26   
Im gonna say this only once.Interfere with my freedom of speech and i will interfere with your bodys respiratory system.Violently.

[ This Message was edited by: Cobra 1-1 {Recruiting} on 2006-08-26 00:26 ]

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-26 01:51   
Being in America, Palestar has a certain innate respect for personal freedoms and those rights enumerated in our Constitution, especially Free Speech. However, US law is very clear that these rights only apply on public land - that owned by the government. Private property owners can restrict rights quite severly, and as Palestar is a private entity and our servers and online resources are considered our property, in Darkspace there is technically no right to Free Speech or in fact any other freedom (though we probably won't request that you house any soldiers for us). Thus, there can be no infrigement of your "right" to speak your mind, as it is not in fact a right.

Just pointing that out.

As for the issue at hand, we of course encourage everyone to be as welcoming, friendly, and non-discriminatory as possible, but we also have a historical precedent of allowing certain "borderline" words in non-offensive contexts. If words have a publicly accepted meaning that is not offensive, they are generally allowed in Darkspace, provided the use is not such that it is not obvious that the non-offensive meaning is the one intended. Basically, you can say ass if you're not calling someone one, and you can say bitch if you mean complain, and you can say whore if you aren't referring to someone selling sexual favors.

Feel free to NOT use any of those words, but we also won't insta-ban you if you do.

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2006-08-26 01:52 ]

Email Shigernafy
Joe dirt
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-26 02:05   
well said shig!

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-26 02:41   
Why must we insist on doing things we know bothers other people? Cause we can? Its our right to say a word since I dont mean it that way? Well I say FiretrUCK that. Oh wait, I can say that cause its been demead illegal even if I dont mean it in a bad or hurtfull way. Whats the difference in the words? Nothing but the meaning the public has given it. The public has not determined some words to be so offensive as to be banned. Does that give us the right to say what we want to regardless of how others around us feel?

A bit arrogant.

No words bother me cause I dont give them the meaning others want them to have. But I will respect others feelings and will try not to do/say things with them around that I know they dont like. Im not that big a jerk. And I have nothing to prove to others by using words that I know they dont like. But I do have something to prove to myself; I wont just do things for the sole purpose of causing irritation to others, or just because I can.

Why not just be nice?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-08-26 03:46   
Don't forget that being a "supply whore", isn't actually a bad thing. Doran's a supply whore, but I love him for that reason (kept me alive for God knows how long back in the day with that little engineering ship of his). Am I insulting him by saying it? Doubtful. Why? Because I'm not insulting him. I don't mean it as an insult. There are many ways to take words nowerdays, in society and online. Back in say, 1960, to say the word "damn" was like swearing at your kids in most peoples eyes, yet today, we use it like it means nothing, same as "bloody" and all sorts of other words.

More and more words are being accepted in todays society. Not because we're all bastards and anti-female rights pigs - It's because we've moved on, and we're still moving on. I have no doubt that words we consider now to be hurtful words will grow a double meaning, and we'll have to adapt and face the music, otherwise we'll all have a hard time living.

Not to mention that 'whore', isn't gender specific. A male can be a whore too.

Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2006-08-26 04:15   
Quote:

On 2006-08-26 03:46, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Don't forget that being a "supply whore", isn't actually a bad thing. Doran's a supply whore, but I love him for that reason (kept me alive for God knows how long back in the day with that little engineering ship of his). Am I insulting him by saying it? Doubtful. Why? Because I'm not insulting him. I don't mean it as an insult. There are many ways to take words nowerdays, in society and online.

THIS is what I meant in lobby chat... Why do people take offense of sentences or words that werent directed at their real life, or gender or real life habits..

For example...

If you're called a "MiRV Whore" and you take really big offense of it, I dont know whats wrong with you. The person definitely didnt direct it at anything else but your constant habit of nuking planets in this little online game called Darkspace. THAT isnt even an offense.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024091 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR