Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » No More WHs?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author No More WHs?
NeoHermes (vigilance)
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-08-02 01:53   
i hear someone yelling, " I can't jump, You Hax my ship. i Report u!"

"Never argue with an idiot. He will lower you to his level and beat you with experience"- Unknown

Email NeoHermes (vigilance)   Goto the website of NeoHermes (vigilance)
Jammy Pajamies
Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-02 03:36   
I personally,do not want WHs to be removed,but theyre range greatly reduced(like Kanman said),because if there are only battles in hot spots,itd be more like a sit and wait-for-enemy-to-show-up type game,and i dont really like that concept.I also think there may not be enoguh people at times to have "teamwork",and that could mean the end of whole systems,since smaller ships will be pulverized by larger ships next version,and fighting by yourself against iverwhelming numbers would just mean suicide.

Well,those are my thoughts,judge them however you please.

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-08-02 06:17   
Quote:

On 2006-08-02 00:14, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Removing them means things like camping gates and TRUE progression throught he metaverse as a TEAM come back, and that's what made DarkSpace fun.

Hearing that an enemy force is coming for, say, Barnards Star, means that UGTO can set up a defence before the enemy get there. Instead of the usual "Barnards Star's dead, Kluth/ICC WH'd over and mirved it". It'd mean minelayer type-ships have a purpose and use again (even if its a small one).

Not only that, but it removes the need for zones to sync in real time to make the wormholes work, which actually creates more de-sync in the long run than anything.

Not forgetting that if wormholes are removed, it means shipyards have a much greater purpose. Having a shipyard at the front-line means a whole lot more than it does with a wormhole available. It becomes a hot-spot for action, as the enemy is going to want to take that planet away from you. They want to remove your ability to spawn in that system! Whereas now, people can simply spawn in Sol/CD/Sirius, and be there in 30 seconds via a wormhole.

Keeping dreads fueled system to system requires TEAMWORK, and surprise surprise, THIS IS A TEAMWORK BASED GAME (OMFG?!?!?). Deep-strikes into enemy controlled space will require WORK (again, OMFG?!?!?!?). It's not a simple point and click afair to get to the enemies home system anymore. Creating frontlines will increase the chances of battles, and create hotspots for battles, especially if there are bottlenecks (many systems leading to a single system).

Removing them fixes so many problems. I can't see a reason to keep them, other than getting around planetary dictors IN-SYSTEM.

Like Dem said.

FOR

- Jack

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-08-02 00:21 ]

QFT.

Back to basics is what is wanted and needed.

Should seriously be considered.

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-02 07:21   
I am all for this idea.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Atomic
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-02 09:51   
Im for it.

Worm-Holes are linked to building removing them will change how you build a planet and where you build it.At present any planet must have a lot of def otherwise it could be gone in a matter of minutes.Theres no tactics involved in building now, new players are shown the best way to build and the quickest.Mines are useless as with solor generators, by moving more def to the front line and choosing the best def for your flanks involves at least some skill and would create a more tactical teamwork attack or defence of a planet.

Atomic

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-08-02 11:49   
I am not for the complete removal of WHD's, but I am certainly in favour of a reduction in maximum range to somewhere between 500k - 1 million gu. this allows the WHD to retain it's original purpose. In addition, we could reduce the accuracy of all WHD's to 1kgu. This would prevent the common annoyance of ICC Wormhole Cruisers.

Goto the website of Drafell
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-02 12:05   
Only problem I just thought of is that Stations back in 1.480 took forever to move around a system. Sure this is to be expected, but if you are trying to move to the opposite side of a system it will take a very long time.

My thought is to reduce the WH distance to either only within a system, or to the next system over at max.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-08-02 12:46   
Quote:

On 2006-08-02 11:49, Drafell wrote:
I am not for the complete removal of WHD's, but I am certainly in favour of a reduction in maximum range to somewhere between 500k - 1 million gu. this allows the WHD to retain it's original purpose. In addition, we could reduce the accuracy of all WHD's to 1kgu. This would prevent the common annoyance of ICC Wormhole Cruisers.

The ICC WH Cruiser needs to be removed. It serves no purpose other than to give ICC an advantage that the other two factions do not have. It makes no sense to have it, and they already have, what, 7-8 cruisers? ICC are a defencive faction, and at no point does a wormhole cruiser make sense in their design. If anything Kluth should have some sort of temperal-rift device, not ICC. And acording to Gideon, UGTO where the first to even try to create a man-made wormhole. So if we're going with anything at current, it should be that, and UGTO should have the cruiser. But we don't want, or need a wormhole cruiser. No faction has a need for one. It breaks the game far more than it fixes it.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-08-02 12:49 ]

Morden
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-02 13:14   
I am FOR reducing WHs to one system(or the next system at most), removing WH Gen Cruisers, the type of Metaverse that was illustrated, and I agree this will(should) inspire more teamwork

Email Morden
Eagleranger
Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-02 13:24   
i say remove wh i like team work

Topbum (England)
Marshal
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2006-08-02 13:44   
`im for,but make them stations only

Email Topbum (England)
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-08-02 14:16   
I would be happy with stations-only having WHs, but this 1 million GU talk is a bit crazy there. The idea of removing the WHs is to Force the attacking party to use the JG or to face down the barrel of a Long-Jump. The current MV is only about 5 million GU across. That would make it easily 5-6 systems out. I think their range should be just enough to significantly shorten a long jump to the next system, or just enough to move to a tactically significant location within the current system.... Im thinking MAX range of perhaps 300-400K GU.

And, most absolutely Kill the WH cruiser. I mean, what good does it do? I imagine its like the dictor, in that it has very limited weapons, and I have never seen them used in real gaming. Just in WH fishing, or spawned real fast to crack a WH to the action and then scrapped back in the SY, while they swap out for the ship they actually want to use.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-08-02 14:25   
After seeing what Worm Hole's have done to this game..

I am For them being shelved for a later time.

for the main reason that they undermine boarder stability.

On a side note, anyone else think Stations Stop becoming Stations when they arent stationary?!

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-08-02 15:38   
They need removed. Wormholes are one of the things that made me go "wtf?" when they first came out.

Reducing their range will just make them useless so no one will use them anyway as an alternative to an HMA. (unless they're a supplemental device you get on a station in addition to an HMA, which would be rather silly). And they don't need to be on anything but stations. So they just need to go away altogether...

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2006-08-02 16:13 ]

Email Bobamelius
ForMichael

Posted: 2006-08-02 17:27   
I am FOR removing wormholes.

If I had it my way I'd remove jumpgates also and make the ships jump to systems, but that can't work with the number of players the game has.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025269 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR