Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Building Changes...
 Author Building Changes...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-01-02 11:41   
I've changed how structures are built, hopefully for the better. All buildable structures are combined into one device now, also the B key has been assigned to this device. Building now requires you to press B or click on the Build icon, then you select which structure to build using the next and prev buttons in the display window. Once you select the structure to build, you then press Spacebar or click on the "Use" button.

I've also improved the tool tips for the build drones, and other devices to show more information.

-Richard

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2002-01-02 11:53 ]

Goto the website of Faustus
Taelron
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-01-03 21:49   
Please change the building back!
The old interface was quick and simple, I sit in orbit and quickly click the spot and the icon...
Just now I tried to use the new system in the Beta and I was forced to select a spot, open the build window, then cycle through options, locate what i want then hit build again...
It was taking to long so I dont know if I could build multiple structures at once, but I doubt it as the "Build" generic icon shows the blue progress bar.
It makes it more of a choir to be an Engineer and most of the time not worth the hassel...

So please, I implorer you to leave the building as it was...

Lord_Binary
Midshipman

Posted: 2002-01-04 02:23   
agree, agree, agree.

protest !!! :/
this change needs to change.

"Don't mention it! I have some bad Homo Sapiens!"
"

Email Lord_Binary
chris aka sunshine
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-04 02:34   
but i thik a change for the old system is needed ... once we get the additional buildings, a normal engineer won't have enough slots...

maybe, spiltting them up could be a solution..
light engineers build facs, mines, baracks & sensor stuff
medium engineers build depot, defence bases & some of the new structures
and the heavy engineer is the one for the big thingies..

Email chris aka sunshine   Goto the website of chris aka sunshine
Samweis*
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-04 04:01   
I think if only the smybols of the new buildings appear after clicking the build symbol and not the full description it would be a solution.

Email Samweis*
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-04 05:07   
Hi
we had a builder cruiser yesterday with the builder node build in. - which is nice
so maybe give the engi the advantage that it has build in 3 of this builder devices so it can build up to 3 buildings at the same time otherwise only few will continue using a engi instead of a upgraded warship.

Lord_Binary
Midshipman

Posted: 2002-01-04 05:16   
101% agree to Sam

"Don't mention it! I have some bad Homo Sapiens!"
"

Email Lord_Binary
Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2002-01-05 04:53   
selecting the building icon should show all the building icons so you can select to have them on screen all the time or not.

mabye have an F key bringing up the icons or ctrl- key combo.

when jumping to a planet to build in combat you dont have time to scroll thrugh 2 or 3 menues to build that that needed building.

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
peanutbutter
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-09 09:42   
make hotkey assignements possible to the different buldings (with a small icons for reminderpupose somewhere)

[ This Message was edited by: peanutbutter on 2002-01-09 09:43 ]

Email peanutbutter
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-01-09 10:37   
Basically, the main reason for the change is because the number of buildings keep increasing. The change allows me to change 1 file for each faction, the old system required me to edit every ship to add the new structure to the ship loadout.

Once we have 50+ different structures, then you'll thank me..

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2002-01-09 10:37 ]

Goto the website of Faustus
Taelron
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-01-09 11:11   
Then how about atleast breaking up into build classes so we aren't scrolling for a half hour trying to find that building we want...

Ie: Economic, Production(Fac/Mines), Defense (Shield/Def Bases)... etc...

Samweis*
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-09 12:12   
Good idea Taelron I think it could work if the buildings are in a different window like the chat or profile window. You can open it and the icons of the buildings are placed there. By clicking on the build button this window will be opened or closed.

Faustus, you can make a symbol and a short text under the symbol for a structure. And like the mouseover text you can display the description.

I think 50+ buildings are a nice work for Faustus to implement

Will there also be a clanheadquarter?

Email Samweis*
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-09 17:31   
The reasons for the changes make sense, but nevertheless, the proposed interface is far less intuitive. The simple fact is that it takes too long to build with the new system. I think as has been suggested, a better system would be a single build button which opens a new window or something.

Something, ANYTHING, to prevent having to scroll through buildings would be much appreciated.

Also, I miss being able to build multiple buildings at the same time... It can take about 15 minutes to build up the average planet fully with the new system. Used to be possible in about 5 minutes under the old system (assuming resources were plentiful).

Also, right now you have to target an empty planet spot, click the build button, scroll through to the building you want, and then click the diamond button to commence construction (or press spacebar, and have it fire your guns as well ). For every building, you often have to repeat the whole process. That's a lot more clicking and mouse-moving and fumbling than with the old system. A popup window of available buildings would alleviate this, as you could just click a spot and then click the desired building from the list/menu/whatever.

Please Faustus, implement some kind of window or something else to make the scrolling unnecessary. Thanks.

Page created in 0.032193 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR