Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Stop calling it soccer!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Stop calling it soccer!
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-06-23 16:34   
Hmm...in my school it's not thought of as 'sissy'. Football (soccer) is considered a great sport, and I think it's fun playing it. I'm usually right wing defender, but the coach occasionally makes me play center midfielder.... too much running in that position... :/

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-23 17:04   
The "football" thing is something I've always been aware of, although it's never really bothered me... it is a strange curiosity that American football is called football, because as you said, dear Jack, it really has little to do with one's feet, but again, never really bothered me. Maybe we should call it "pigskin" or something (although the ball isn't really made of pigskin though is it?). Maybe "Run Abunch Back And Forth Along Field Tackling Each Other (RABAFAFTEO!)

Soccer vs. football is just a difference of terminology. As far as I know soccer is called soccer because it came into the mainstream later than El Futbol Americano did (dunno if I'm correct on that), but whatever. I say pants, you say trousers.

As for insulting one sport or another... that's just silly to do either way. The players of American football don't wanna kill themselves out on the field (and they are not wimps, it's still a rough sport), and the Rugby guys, uh, don't mind injury so much I guess. Good for them.

I personally don't find soccer/football all that interesting, but a lot of other people do so I try not to ridicule it too much. The only sports that I will frequently make fun of are "professional" (i.e. dead fake) wrestling and golf.

The Bob has spoken. Let American football from this point forward forever be known as Rabafafteo.

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2006-06-23 17:05 ]

Email Bobamelius
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-23 17:08   
RABAFAFTEO! sounds good to me.

-Flipasaurus Wench-
1st Rear Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-06-23 17:12   
All that really sounded like was a rant about how you think you, (European) are better than I, (American) am.

Taking that into consideration, I was unable to read and comprehend most of that post clearly.
It's not you, it's me!

I still <3 ya though Jack. You're just silly...

I do think it is quite funny when they say...

"GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!

I was watching two World Cup games at once today thank you very much... Just waiting for them to say... GOAL!

[ This Message was edited by: -fLiPPeR- on 2006-06-23 17:14 ]

Goto the website of -Flipasaurus Wench-
rangar
Cadet

Posted: 2006-06-23 18:46   
havent really been watching it (since i cant be stuffed staying up late/getting up early)

but...... GO AUSTRALIA!

any1 who's seen em play has to admit they're going pretty good. hell, brazil didnt score a goal against em until the 2nd half, and we only lost 2 nil (which, IMO is excellent since what, its been 30 years since we went to the World Cup, and brazil are a top team)

anywho, most people call it soccer down here in australia since we have AFL (australian football league).

Goth, Your my oneway ticket to GA

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-23 20:27   
football.. not played with feet
Socker.. do you?
badmitten.. if its so bad why do you play it? And where are the mittens?

Bugger picking is the only sport I care about. and the named makes perfect sense.

-Flipasaurus Wench-
1st Rear Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-06-23 20:32   
Are you drunk?...

I cannot help but laugh.

Goto the website of -Flipasaurus Wench-
rangar
Cadet

Posted: 2006-06-24 03:30   
yes that has always confused me. american "footballers" kick the ball once a game?

Soccer is basically ALWAYS using your feet.

IMO, american football ==> rugby w/ battle armour

Goth, Your my oneway ticket to GA

Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2006-06-24 03:56   

Well let's take a look at the etymology of the words:

Quote:
soccer:

1889, socca, later socker (1891), soccer (1895), originally university slang, from a shortened form of Assoc., abbreviation of association in Football Association (as opposed to Rugby football); cf. rugger, but they hardly could have taken the first three letters of Assoc.

Quote:
football:

the open-air game, first recorded 1409; forbidden in a Scottish statute of 1424. The first reference to the ball itself is 1486. Figurative sense of "something idly kicked around" is first recorded 1532. Ball-kicking games date back to the Roman legions, at least, but the sport seems to have risen to a national obsession in England, c.1630. Rules first regularized at Cambridge, 1848; soccer (q.v.) split off in 1863. The U.S. style (known to some in England as "stop-start rugby with padding") evolved gradually 19c.; the first true collegiate game is considered to have been played Nov. 6, 1869, between Princeton and Rutgers, at Rutgers, but the rules there were more like soccer. A rematch at Princeton Nov. 13, with the home team's rules, was true U.S. football. The earliest recorded application of the word football to this is from 1881.

Quote:
rugby:

1864, after Rugby, public school where the game was played, from city of Rugby in Warwickshire, central England. The place name is Rocheberie (1086) "fortified place of a man called *Hroca," second element from O.E. burh (dat. byrig), replaced by 13c. with O.N. -by "village." First element perhaps rather O.E. hroc "rook." Rugby Union formed 1871. Slang rugger for "rugby player" is from 1893.

In Italy "soccer/eu-football" is called "calcio" which means "kick". Rugby has the same name, then we say "american football".

Let's not forget, that there is also the Australian football

Dragonterro
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-24 17:01   
in german is it Fussball and we call it Soccer cause there is a sport that called Amerkian Football so there is no misunderstud (confoundedor mistake) to it.
direkt translatesion of Fussball is Football but in the USA Football is another sport and thats why we call it soccer.

[ This Message was edited by: Dragonterro on 2006-06-24 17:08 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.017950 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR