No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Stop calling it soccer!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Stop calling it soccer!
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-21 07:04   
World cup 2006 is now well underway, and I must say that I’m surprised to see such a fine effort from the USA against Italy earlier yesterday. In my humble opinion, the US deserved a win for the spirit they showed, but the heat and the pace all seemed to weigh down on them in the end, and they seemed content to defend and settle for a draw.

Now, the reason I am surprised is that football is a minority sport in the States. I frequently see comments such as ‘soccer is stupid’ and so on from an ignorant section of our American friends. It seems that most sports fans in America prefer a game that evolved from the British - largely upper class - game of rugby… and they have decided to strap on loads of padding, change the name of our game and insist that our sport is for girls. This grates a little with those who follow the majority sport in the world.

I've always wondered why you insist on calling it "football", when the majority of the game is played with your hands, and has nothing to do with the ball touching the foot. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense calling the European game football, but it makes absolutely no sense calling the American game football. It's annoyed me for quite some time, since whenever I talk too American's, most of them seem to think that our sport is rubbish, and played by sissies.

I'm just interested in what everyone else thinks about this, so...

Discuss:

American football, or European football, who is correct?!
Which came first, the football or the... football?
Which sport is better in your opinion and why?
World Cup 2006 - have you been watching it? Are you enjoying it?

- Jack

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *SL3* on 2006-06-21 10:27 ]

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-06-21 07:59   
Soccer sucks.... whens Hockey coming back?

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Lacrosseian
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-06-21 08:16   
The Canes just won the Stanley Cup, you got some time to wait.

But now here is a thought, where did the term soccer originate?

Anyways, besides the point trying to be given: Lacrosse > all

[ This Message was edited by: Lacrosseian on 2006-06-21 08:19 ]

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-06-21 08:17   
ok this reply may be even more messier than you guys are used to from me. but please read it.

first i agree with BackSlash. the name footbal sugest strongly that the games is mainly played with a ball and people's feet.
the american footbal witch i personly call american rugby isn't somthing that fits that profile.
and second in mathical terms a ball is round !

ok if the traditional footbal (aka soccer for the usa guys). didn't exist than maby american footbal (aka rugby), would sound nicer than rugby.
but unfortinatly that isn't a option today.

american footbal. i think we need a other game for it.
(no we are not calling it rugby becous that would shame the britsh rugby.)
but you need a diferent name. becous like backslash is saying. it is confusing!

p.s.
i don't mean to offend but to my vission you got football and soccer.
football is the regular you see today at the german WC.
to me soccer is a version of football but with only a half to a quarter of the field size and a quarter size of the goal. (aka mini footbal.)

o and i played footbal and rugby, but could some one explain to me the diference between baseball and softball ??

Quistis {C?}
Cadet
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2006-06-21 08:43   
The Clone says, "Soccer/ Football is one of those things that catches my eye from time to time. Usually when Im channel surfing I stop and watch...

Soccer is great cause most of the guys have great butts... it's kinda like Baywatch but they don't stop moving cause they're kicking a stupid ball around...Soccer guys are the cutiest when they all line up and the other guy like kicks the ball at them so they jump up and down in their tight shorts...

Sometimes I video tape it so I can watch them jumping up and down in slow motion...

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-21 08:45   
Soccor-no clue were this name came from I think it should be called football regaurdless where you are. Football vs. Rugby well I think both sports require a lot of endurance, skill, and natural ability. I think it just comes down to what you pefer and what you were brouht up on. I dont follow rugby much but it looks pretty tough and somewhat painful. Hats off to anyone who can play it.

I haven't followed the world cup yet mainly b/c after the age of 10 I stopped playing football/soccor. I never really got into mainly b/c of my leg problems and other sports became of more intrest.

The main difference between softball and baseball is the size of the ball. A baseball is around the same size as a tennis ball where a softball is almost double the size of that. Where I live baseball is primarly a male sport, but softball is played by both men and women. Not sure why? I am sure women could play baseball just as well as men.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-21 10:31   
Both American and European football are correct, because it's simply a difference in language...that's like asking "American Elevator or European Lift, who is correct?" Both are correct because it's just a difference in terms, we call your football soccer and you call our football rugby...both are right

I'm very confused by your second question lol

I personally like to watch american football better, because there's more things happening at amy specific moment and it's a lot easier to score, but I like to play soccer more, because I'm a bit better at it than the majority of my friends who don't ever try to play it. In addition it's fun to try and not use your hands in a game.

I'm not watching the World Cup but that doesn't say much, I don't watch the world series and I only watch a little of the Super Bowl...I really don't enjoy watching other people play, I'd rather play myself (which is probably why I got into video games, unlike sports there's little spectating)

PS: Soccer is a perfectly respectable sport and does not act like a vaccuum cleaner...

[ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2006-06-21 11:20 ]