No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Remembering how good DS was
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Remembering how good DS was
hellcane
Cadet

Posted: 2006-06-17 20:49   
ds was the funnest game i have played, back 1.5 years ago, when there were always fights going on. quit because i dont find fun in killing npc planets or losing my days prest gain because i got lagged into a planet once.

Bash
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-17 21:49   
Uber ac rocked
01:38:43 Shigernafy: "never trust a brit with your website.."

This message brought to you by the Flying Coffin Foundation"

12:02:07 Doran: "and you never hear AI complaining about how dumb players are"

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2006-06-17 22:01   
480 was kinda crappy. You guys just forget.

Bomb clouds brought down the server, and there were serious balance issues surrounding flux, kluth destroyers, and ugto ships in general. They were useless without flux, which was the eptitomy of cheapness.

And the MV couldnt support a fight with over 25 ships. That was the big thing, you couldn't have a good fight without choking up the server.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-18 02:28   
Quote:

On 2006-06-17 22:01, NoPants2win wrote:
480 was kinda crappy. You guys just forget.

Bomb clouds brought down the server, and there were serious balance issues surrounding flux, kluth destroyers, and ugto ships in general. They were useless without flux, which was the eptitomy of cheapness.

And the MV couldnt support a fight with over 25 ships. That was the big thing, you couldn't have a good fight without choking up the server.

Untrue. Prehaps you've forgotten?

I remember a great many battles involving a great many ships(25+). I also remember having after dying in battle having to bring ships from your home system through the real JG system to get back into battle.

Travelling in an uncluttered, usable MV system.

I remember an ICC AC that was downright deadly and nasty in even moderately skilled hands and still enjoying knock-down drag out fights between fleets for hours that raged across several systems for the better part of a day each day, fighting a loosing battle against fleets of over powered ICC AC and loosing EAD after EAD in the best and bloodiest fights I can ever remember and LOVING every single minute and inch of ground gained OR lost.

I remember having part of our fleet fighting viscous loosing battles while a wing of pilots would long jump around to flank our enemies and crushing what would otherwise be unstoppable enemy by using tactical movements and fighting the battle with our minds and skill just as much as we used our firepower.

I remember loosing an ENTIRE FLEET(10 or less of mixed clans and independants, but a fleet none the less) that was trying desperately to defend against two or three invading kluth. Did the two or three wipe out our fleet? Nope. It only took just one kluth in the end to wipe out our entire defense force. It was 4cmje in his trusty kluth min layer destroyer and he lured us right in and wiped out all of us at one time(the fireworks from the fleet simoultainiously exploding was quite awe-inspiring I must say). Did I cry? No. Did I shut my client off in disgust? Nope, I bit the bullet and pulled out another EAD(my third or fourth lost for that day I might add) trying not to spit my drink on the monitor from laughing so hard.

I don't remember Wormholes.
I don't remember Shipyards.

I do remember a crapload of fun.

Edit:
As a footnote I might add, GTN had strict rules at that time about flux usage. A flux dessy could cripple several ships and a Flux Battle Dread could cripple whole fleets at close range.

The tactic most people would use with flux ships was quite simple, yet was very, very effective at crippling a good portion of an enemy fleet. When two large factions engaged in battle the flux ships would wait out of range with every possible flux they could fit on board. When the signal was given the fluxing faction would all ejump out of the way at the same time the fluxing faction would close-jump into the middle of the battle, almost seemlessly some times and the instant they came out of jump pop thier flux.

It was an effective tactic that I myself have witnessed on many occasions, and it was quite deadly.

But in the end the offbalanced issue gave warrent for self policing about it's use because other factions at the time didn't have a comparable weapon, so GTN made strict rules about it's use.

In any event, thats my 2 sense.(intentional mispelling - pun intended)

[ This Message was edited by: kenetiks on 2006-06-18 02:38 ]

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-18 02:37   
Amen Kenetiks thats what i remember too! nowadays its solo bombers, 10 on 1 just tryin to stop a bomber or a dessie, or invading a system just because this version is not for kluth honestly this has gone to far and its killing DS as a whole i miss talkin to the enemy on how their day went and stuff nowadays its "whats the easiest way to kill you or, Hi can i kill you? or hello babbbbbbbbay" *sigh* i miss the easiest days of earning prestige

Email GothThug {C?}
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-06-18 03:31   
And, once again, 1.480 has reared its head again in the minds of many individuals. After all of these forum topics and discussions and things that have gone off in the lobby and in the game and across Teamspeak and across IMs I've had... it seems like everyone that joined this game after 1.480 knows the exact details of everything that went on in 1.480. 1.480 this... 1.480 that... 1.480 1.480 1.480...

...I've never understood why just saying 1.48 was a problem. Is the zero really a significant digit? Apparently so, and a clear indicator of why I did poorly in Physics when it came to determining significant digits.

I'll admit that I've been a part of some of these conversations before. And I've been defensive when players (especially new players that had no idea what they were talking about) screamed out, "ZOMGDUDEQUITLIVINGINTHEPAST!" I'm very sentimental about history, so I care about it.

But, this time... this is ridiculous.

Back when I first started playing DarkSpace, the lobby topics that weren't in the Box of Soap tended to revolve around the following:

Overpowered K'luth (MAIMDEATHKILL!!! with many ships. The power of one CL2000 laser cannot be underestimated. You could be assured of doing some damage, especially if you were in a destroyer)
Underpowered UGTO (Ties into the above theme, but includes elements from the ICC in the argument, too.)
K'luth ECM Forts (For those of you that don't understand that term... it was a planet or a group of planets heavily ringed with Anti-Sensor bases. Imagine the way the cloaking system now, only they can still do stuff like attack you. Great for hiding what I think is a major K'luth weakness - the inability to handle lots of fighters and missles)
The Uber ICC Assault Cruiser (Two slots for reactors! Oh noes!)
Flux Waves/Beams (ZOMG!ONLYNOOBSUSEFLUX!NOSTRATEGYATALL!)
Barracks Rotating (STUPID PLANET WON'T CAP! GAH!)
Compensation Requests (Not a common thing, but seen from time to time, and generally fulfilled in a reasonable amount of time - I've needed it before.)

I may have forgotten a few things... but, that's pretty much it.

Now... let's see here... if I log onto DarkSpace... it's pretty much the following:

WE MISS 1.480!
STOP THE MIRVS!
REMINISCE ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAYS!
MIRVS SUCK!
PLEASE HELP ME AND COMPENSATE!
EDs/PDs ARE BAD! (whatever they're called - I don't remember the name of the ships that can equip a lot of weapons in their laser slots)
NO MIRVS!
IQUITTHISGAMECOSITSUXXX!!!

If I had to compare today's time to the time of 1.480... then, I will admit, 1.480 had more of a variety in complaints... but they were still the same complaints. And they weren't friendly. They were quite intense, especially when it came to faction balance. For instance: At first, I always thought K'luth ships were an overpowered mess - those speedy destroyers armed with CL2Ks and awesome pilots could do an incredible bit of damage. As I became an older player, I wasn't so sure.

Things got really brutal.

Oh... silly me. I forgot about one thing. There was a thread... a forum topic that I saw in the listings from time to time back during the 1.480 era... you old folks will have to excuse me for dropping it...

Something about the next patch.

"Two weeks."

There are pros and cons to the system that existed when I joined and the system that runs now. There are advantages and disadvantages, and although I'm slightly inclined to weigh in favour of 1.480 as being the most fun time of my DS existence, it's not by a whole lot. It would be nice if we could have a few days or a week to run 1.480 all over again... get the old players and the new players coming together in that old, dinky MV of fewer systems, where they all meet at the center... and see how well it works. Will there be a lot of activity over the star systems... or, like what I saw frequently over the course of my 1.480 career, will there be more activity buzzing in the Admiral server?

Admit it. Not everyone wanted to deal with going through systems and dealing with well-built planets when there was only four or five people online total. It was strictly to the Admiral server, to duke it out in combat and blazes of glory. And when those free trials rolled around...... oh, the agony......

I'm not obligated to read these threads, so the blame for my wasted time is fully on me. I still honestly believe that these "remembering the good 1.480 days of DS" are tilted in a poor way. Think of the -bad- that came with them, too. One of you personally may not have had a problem, but there were others that did. And, if by some cosmic fate we ever had 1.480 back, new players that we have gotten may suddenly drop the game, not liking the changes. Going from being able to see activity faction-wide and all of your planets to being limited to one system would be a huge downsize, after all, and the MV would echo the loneliness it sometimes could.

And, if remembering the "good days" gives you hope for what DS could be in the future, and keeps you around, and you promise to yourself that you would spend your money if it would become just as good... perhaps you should spend your money now, so it can help to elevate itself to something that you would love once more.

That's all. Totally it for me. I'm finished with this, and with all of this other "rememberance" stuff. I wasn't as negative as Pants was, but the realism Pants brought in here is necessary. So many threads and sob stories have been made about "them good old days". What about the anger and frustration and annoyance? 1.480 wasn't all fun and games. There was hard work involved, and there were times when I vented and raged about how the system was. There are those like Kenetiks who may have never really been bothered by how the system was...

But, do remember this, folks:

The past looks better because you have hindsight.

Goto the website of Grimith
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-18 09:31   
I miss the end of the beta, I really enjoyed the great battles in Cygnus

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.013731 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR