Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Fattierob's Java Problem.
 Author Fattierob's Java Problem.
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-15 15:20   
Okay okay. Now, before any of you go 'Java sux, C++/lua/Josef/.net is better, lol', i'm not really interested in that right now (Although I am learning some C++.

Now my problem: I need a new Java IDE. I used to use CodeWarrior, which was really simple: make file, insert copious amounts of java, click "run" and it auto-compiles, executes, and it runs like a charm.

Unforuntly, I don't have codewarrior anymore (school had it, and I loved it <3)...so I need a new IDE.

Now, I've been googling for them, and most of them are overly complicated "press z+shift+Bill Cosby on the moon singing "Old mcdonald" while eating whisky to make a .java file", meant for people who are like "1337 java coders rofl".

so anybody have some suggestions? should I learn C++ (since I have a working compiler and running thing), maybe lua (pfft) or some other obsecure programming language?

thanks again.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-15 15:29   
the one ive used is called Dr Java, tho i hear netbeans is also popular

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-15 16:08   
I tried netbeans, and it was too complicated. I'll try out the Doctor, thanks.

Edit: thanks man. works pretty good. I'm gonna see if I can do basic GUI in here, and go from there. thanks again.

[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob (x2 Faustus' Slaps) on 2006-06-15 16:16 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-15 16:49   
BlueJ

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-15 18:20   
Wait, Java is compiled? I always thought Java was an interpreted language, like Python.

Fattie, I would recommend C++, since it is similar to Java, though you might also like to look into some of the .NET languages, like C#. I would steer clear of VB, because it teaches (and encourages) bad coding habits, like using goto. You can always learn a bit of it if you want to do some RAD (rapid application development), but please, don't learn it as your primary language.

For the web, I would recommend learning PHP. I'm learning PHP right now, and its quite easy (well, compared to C).

Though online tutorials can be adequate, I would go out and buy a book on it. I would recommend the Sams Teach Yourself series. I find it easier to follow than online tutorials, and, maybe its just me, but having the learning material in book form makes it easier for me to absorb, and feels more structured. I'd recommend "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours" for C++ and "Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL, and Apache" for PHP (I recommend this one because it teaches you how to access databases from PHP and is extremely useful when building websites and website utilities, like forums).

[ This Message was edited by: Axalon on 2006-06-15 18:34 ]

Email Axalon
Page created in 0.009515 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR