Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Windows Vista ... Free?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Windows Vista ... Free?
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-08 10:32   
To those I promised I would send a copy of Vista, I will do one better. Download one here! There were various problems with sending out my beta disks that I won't get into, but this will register you individually to try the software and it's good for 1 full year.

Enjoy!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

What is a Windows Vista Capable PC?
A new PC that carries the Windows Vista Capable PC logo can run Windows Vista. All editions of Windows Vista will deliver core experiences such as innovations in organizing and finding information, security, and reliability. All Windows Vista Capable PCs will run these core experiences at a minimum. Some features available in the premium editions of Windows Vista—like the new Windows Aero user experience—may require advanced or additional hardware.

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
ATI Radeon 9*00 cards and upwards.
Nvidia Geforce 6*00 cards and upwards (Windows Vista does not support the Nvidia FX series)

Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs
To get an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience, ask for a Windows Vista Capable PC that is designated Premium Ready, or choose a PC that meets or exceeds the Premium Ready requirements described below. Features available in specific premium editions of Windows Vista, such as the ability to watch and record live TV, may require additional hardware.

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
1 GB of system memory.
A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
128 MB of graphics memory.
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
DVD-ROM Drive3.
Audio output capability.
Internet access capability.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* *SL3* on 2006-06-08 10:34 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-08 10:59   
http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/Microsoft_Windows_Vista_English_64bit/1149728719/2

Link to a site with the 64bit English version. You still need a CDKEY from the above site though.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-06-08 13:08   
From what i've heard Windows Vista isn't all that so i'll just stick with XP for now

Email Walrus of Apathy
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2006-06-08 13:22   
lol looking at the title my mod fingers were itching but it seems innocent enough *damnit* so ill try it out myself

- Axi

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-08 15:50   
Quote:

40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.

Eek.

Email Bobamelius
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-06-08 17:46   
i am gonna stick with XP pro with SP2 until they fix all the Vista bugs. THEN i might go to Vista. but i reccomend don't go right now until they fix the bugs with service packs and the like.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-08 19:09   
Quote:

On 2006-06-08 17:46, leonide*P2*(should be P4) wrote:
i am gonna stick with XP pro with SP2 until they fix all the Vista bugs. THEN i might go to Vista. but i reccomend don't go right now until they fix the bugs with service packs and the like.

It's a public beta.

The first EVER public beta of an operating system. Not only that, but because you're helping them improve Vista in it's beta phase, they're giving EVERYONE who tries it a one year licence to run it. Meaning if it's released at christmas, you can still run it untill summer next year.

If you've got a spare hard drive, just boot it up on that and try it out. Atleast you get a speak peek at what goes on.

Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2006-06-08 19:37   
Actually Vista is friggin awesome...

The Aero Glass Professional Version that is.

There are so many good things about Vista, and I am really not joking... really.

Email Ramius
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-06-08 19:42   
From what I've heard... vista = WinXP SP3 on crack... with 98/ME style code "updates"

SP2 for me, thanks.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2006-06-08 20:07   
On the back end its nothing like previous versions of windows. Hell on the front end, Aero Glass doesn't even look like windows.

Email Ramius
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-08 20:32   
Vista is a complete and utter recode from the ground up.

It's frighteningly quicker than XP, or any other Windows version for that matter. Yeh, you need a good pc to run it, but it's like that with any new game or piece of software. Vista's designed for the future, and damn, it makes a good impression. Even the install is perdy...

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-08 20:42   
Oh, so beta 2 finally is out...

Bleh, necessary specs are too high.

Quote:

No...its based off of Windows Server 2003.

Quote:
It's frighteningly quicker than XP, or any other Windows version for that matter. Yeh, you need a good pc to run it, but it's like that with any new game or piece of software.

Frighteningly quicker...yet you need better hardware to run it? Sure its quicker, now it actually uses all four gigabytes of RAM and is optimized for your trippy FX-62's two cores. For the rest of us who don't have obscene amounts of money to burn on high-end hardware, we couldn't care.

NVidia FX series not supported? They're on par with the Radeon 9xxx series, albeit both antiquated.

I'm not too hot on Vista, especially since I don't have $15,000 of disposable income to upgrade my computer to the bleeding edge every three months.

Besides, there are better things out there, IMO, when it comes to eyecandy. Lower specs, too. And free.

I'll probably stick to XP for my Windows platform, unless I get a sudden urge to play Halo 2 on my PC (which would actually cost less to buy an Xbox + Halo 2 than Vista + Halo 2 PC).

[ This Message was edited by: Axalon on 2006-06-08 20:50 ]

Email Axalon
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-08 20:57   
Quote:

On 2006-06-08 20:42, Axalon wrote:
Oh, so beta 2 finally is out...

Bleh, necessary specs are too high.

Quote:

No...its based off of Windows Server 2003.

No it's not... It's written from the ground up. Think logicly. Why would they released a platform/client/desktop OS, and base it off a modified XP core for servers?

Quote:

Quote:
It's frighteningly quicker than XP, or any other Windows version for that matter. Yeh, you need a good pc to run it, but it's like that with any new game or piece of software.

Frighteningly quicker...yet you need better hardware to run it? Sure its quicker, now it actually uses all four gigabytes of RAM and is optimized for your trippy FX-62's two cores. For the rest of us who don't have obscene amounts of money to burn on high-end hardware, we couldn't care.

Actually, XP can use more than 4 GB, you just need the 64bit version because 32bit is clamped at 4 GB. Do your research .
Quote:

NVidia FX series not supported? They're on par with the Radeon 9xxx series, albeit both antiquated.

They use software and hardware rendering for DX9, hence they're not fully suported.
Quote:

I'm not too hot on Vista, especially since I don't have $15,000 of disposable income to upgrade my computer to the bleeding edge every three months.

Besides, there are better things out there, IMO, when it comes to eyecandy. Lower specs, too. And free.

Do you even have any idea of what Vista is? You don't NEED tons of new hardware to run it. The only thing they require is a DX9 video card for the Areo interface. THAT'S IT. It's just so much more advanced than XP and any other OS out there, AND it's faster. And no, it's not just because I have trippy FX-62's. I have another machine with a 3400+ here and a measly 9800XT (you can pick them up for $150), and it runs it PERFECTLY.

Quote:

I'll probably stick to XP for my Windows platform, unless I get a sudden urge to play Halo 2 on my PC (which would actually cost less to buy an Xbox + Halo 2 than Vista + Halo 2 PC).

You obviously havn't done your research at all, and it shows in your bias URL linking to linux. Linix is great and all, but it just doesn't perform like Windows does, and its memory management sucks, badly.

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-06-08 21:06   
I'd need a new motherboard & video card anyway, so its junk to me till someone buys me a new comp =P

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-06-08 21:59   
hmm. i might run it then. it depends if i have a spare HDD to run it with. i might just say screw it and stick with XP. you never know.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024410 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR