Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Upgrading Computer
 Author Upgrading Computer
shine
Cadet

Posted: 2006-05-10 15:57   
Greetings all,

I plan on updating my computer in the next year or so and need some input. These Frag boxes I see that run SLI? Any good??? Think DS will be supported? I priced out some systems and it can reach $3000+ very easy....I see I can build one for a fraction of that by building it myself(I never built one before but these little frag boxes looks easy to build.) I'm hoping just upgrading my videocard to a 7800 GS from a 4600 Ti will allow me to play some of these high demanding graphic games coming out to buy me a few more months of playtime on my current setup....my motherboard is becoming a stale Grandma board same with my processor=)

Other than SLI, what computers are looking good atm or will everything be SLI soon? I have a mac I use for Protools and don't want another thank you=)

Here is the link to some info on the SLI
http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html

[ This Message was edited by: shine on 2006-05-10 22:49 ]

Nothing to see here...move along.

Email shine
Nimitz
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-05-11 09:32   
Hi shine,

If you're buying a new comp "in the next year or so", better that you ask then since hardware changes at quite a quick pace.

Take CPUs for examples, at the start of the year, P4 HTs were the things, then along came dual cores and now these are hot property.

The main competition to SLI is ATI's Crossfire. As to which is better, it is all subjective. As long as both developers are rushing to outdo each other, there will never be the "best" one unless one stuffs up pretty bad. However, don't just consider the graphics. Also consider if the motherboard will support it. No support = useless.

If you have time before you upgrade, search on the web and look at reviews of all potential hardware you'd like to get and then start making a list of parts you think are good.

I'm sure Jack will have lots to add if he catches sight of this post
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-11 10:46   
SLI and Crossfire are tricky.

SLI uses two cards (both of which are the same, no special card is needed), and their optimisation is pretty poor, why? - I'll explain.

Only a handfull of people want SLI systems, and they forsaw that producing it with the Master & Slave design, would mean that only a few Slave cards would be baught (Slave = secondairy card). So, to maximise profit, they made it so that one card can be doubled up to make the SLI system. Trouble is, to do this, they sacrifice a lot of power, optimisation, and the like.

Crossfire works via having a Master and Slave card. I'll explain the differences.

SLI is much faster than Crossfire at lower resolutions and without Antastripic Filter and Anti-Aialising. But, Crossfire supports, and is faster at higher resultions and with AF and AA on.

Now, the reason I tell you to go the Crossfire route is because, with two expensive graphics cards, you're going to want everything on maximum resolution, quality, and AF and AA wacked up to the highest settings. Meaning, Crossfire is the way to go.

Also, coupled with the fact that the X1900XTX is the current daddy (ATI), and is only a bit more expensive than the 7800GTX (the 7900GTX is a cheaper and less powerful version of the 7800GTX).

Stick "two" X1900XTX's together, and you'll fly much farther than with two 7800GTX's. Please do not be put off by the "The way it's meant to be played" badges on some games, it's quite the opposite. My machine runs Quake 4 and Doom 3 faster than it would with Nvidia cards. It's just a marketting gimmick.

As for the "Will DS support SLI/Crossfire?"...

Neither SLI or Crossfire can.

However... Crossfire can turn on higher levels of AF and AA because of the way it works, and because of that, you'll get DarkSpace looking better than it would on SLI.

However, Crossfire does need a Crossfire enabled motherboard to do so, and they aren't majorly available (although you can find them online). I think ASUS (very good motherboard manufacturer) do a few, and ATI themselves make their own motherboards, both are VERY good and are actually better than all motherboards I've ever owned, but you really do need 1GB + and Crossfire to take advantage of the system.

It's up to you in the end. SLI is easier to set up with an ASUS SLI board for example, and Crossfire can be a little tricky, but only because you have to find a Crossfire-ready motherboard.

And just for you. The X1900XTX can actually beat two Nvidia cards in SLI on most games (thats ONE card beating TWO). So, if you want, get a Crossfire ready motherboard, get one X1900XTX, and see if that fills you up. If you want more power, get a Slave card to go with it.

There's benchmark results all over the place, but if you want the more reliable ones, go to...

www.driverheaven.net
www.tomshardware.com

Their word is gospel.

Hope this helps.

- Jack

shine
Cadet

Posted: 2006-05-11 10:48   
Yes, jumping 3 generations ahead each month on tech....within a year, we should see something new, plus prices will come down. I did get the 7800 GS overclock card and am extremely happy with it. Will get another year or so outta my computer. the card has HDR and with playing Darkspace, I don't see a difference? Will Darkspace support this??? Think it might be a good promotional tool if we upgrade graphics code for DS to support the upcoming techs....Darkspace 2...now in High Def...

I am not a computer expert, but I do believe it has to be in the code of the game to use this HDR feature(Looks great for Oblivion)....

[ This Message was edited by: shine on 2006-05-11 11:18 ]

Email shine
shine
Cadet

Posted: 2006-05-11 10:58   
Thanks Blackslah, good info there...I did read the ATI's where better...but Nvidia still has me hooked...spent $280 on the 7800GS and is a nice upgrade from the 4600ti. Though I did waste a bit of money since I will be upgrading within the next year or 2...the 7800GS Bliss might have been a better choice but I didn't want to order online and wanted a new card NOW=) The Crossfire system with motherboard and X1900XTX seems the way to go atm, will be interesting watching these new systems develope and intergrate into today's society.

[ This Message was edited by: shine on 2006-05-11 11:28 ]

Email shine
Page created in 0.011001 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR