No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Help
 Author Help
Tarnekep
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-04-18 14:10   
Does anyone know what my teacher is trying to tell me here it just trying to understand him for my test i don't want anyone to do it just an explanation of what he wants:

Build a form which does the following:
1) Allows the user to enter two words for comparison.

2) Uses a user-defined function to evaluate the words and return the word which comes first alphabetically.

3) Accurately picks the correct answer no matter how long the words are (e.g. it should know that "wolf" comes before "wolverine").

4) Adds the result to a listbox and prompts for another pair of words.

5) Has a mechanism to clear the previous entries and start over.

6) Has a blue form background.

The only question I really don't understand what he wants are question 2-3 the others i do understand.....does anyone know....this is Access VBA if anyone know that program.

Thanks Tarnekep

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-18 15:24   
I don't know what language your using, but their should be a mighty easy way to compare two strings/chars alphabetically. google it. (user defenied function == method)

as for knowing if "wolf" is greater then "wolvernine", just use a for loop that iterates through each char of the string and checking if one of them comes first alphabetically.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-04-18 16:53   
Quote:

On 2006-04-18 14:10, Tarnekep wrote:
2) Uses a user-defined function to evaluate the words and return the word which comes first alphabetically.

3) Accurately picks the correct answer no matter how long the words are (e.g. it should know that "wolf" comes before "wolverine").

as i read it, the program is to take the 2 input words and sort them alphabetically. #2 and #3 are fairly similar, #2 would be the meat&potatoes of the code and #3 would just be error-checking.

process wise, id think that something like

• convert each input word into an array of characters
  • loop thru array with a for loop, check for which array has the letter in [array element #] that comes first
  • use some place holder variables to store the array name (and thus the users input) of which comes First and Second (alphabetically)
  • reconsitute the character arrays back into strings and output them into textboxes or lables or however you're doing it

but thats just me

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-18 17:16   
Basically, two says:

Write a function that returns the word which would come first alphabetically.

Three, as Doran points out, is basically error checking: making sure it won't fail if the words are different lengths.. so you'd put in a check to make sure there are still letters, basically.

Also:
By default - at least with languages I use - if you compare a char() type check of the letters, you might get some errors because of capitalization.

Thus, I'd assign new vars which hold the lowercase version of the string (in php at least, that'd be strtolower) and then compare those variables. That way you don't get thrown off by an errant capital letter somewhere.

Email Shigernafy
Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-19 05:22   
/me head explodes.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Joe dirt
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-19 10:18   
is lost and clueless

Page created in 0.012884 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR