Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » My Idea for a new weapon/Defense
 Author My Idea for a new weapon/Defense
HaVoX
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-22 14:46   
I would liek to see a decoy, sort of a chaff thing that when released from a ship made a dupilcate of of the releaseing ships sig that could lead shots and players astray from the original target. It could work several ways.

1. Decoy is dropped and it splits into several diffent targets bearing the same target designator as the dropper and goes in different directions while target makes getaway.

2. Decoy could be dropped leaving a choice of original target and the singel Decoy with original droppers designator. Alowing a 50 50 chance on who gets nailed, Decoy or target

3. Decoy/Decoys could be fired at a planet, drawing defenders to that planet while bombing/capping run is made at a different planet.

4. Decoys could be deployed and followed in during a assult on planet/planet defenders or fleet in space, giving more targets to shoot at and reducing attacking forces chances of being hit.

5. Decoys could be deployed around planet/fleet under siege giving the attackers false targets and increasing the chance of defenders not being hit in the assult.

6. Wounded ship jumps from combat, deploys Decoy prior/durning/after jump to make tracking a viable target much harder on agressor after the kill.

I'm sure there are lots of differnt uses for Decoys, drawing enemy into traps and such. I think it would be a great idea if it could be done with out super lag issues, or magor coding problems of duping the droppers sig (name and ship). Scanners would also be able to help in determining if its a decoy as well as player sense in how the thing moves.

Just a thought FIRE AWAY!!

HaVoX

Email HaVoX
Fatal Sobek
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-22 16:08   
That is a sweet idea.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-22 19:19   
If you have the original target selected, it'll keep that target, so you'll always know which one is not the decoy.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-02-22 19:42   
could work for agaist missles

Email Borgie
Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-22 19:50   
When you say decoy, do you mean .. an actual, visible ship ie.holograms and whatnot, that works on the player? Or something that affects weapon tracking, working on the weapons? Chaff would be the latter, but your descriptions seem to describe the former.. a little confused :/ Sounds interesting!

[ This Message was edited by: [AÐ]Light-of-Aurora on 2006-02-22 19:53 ]

Email Light-of-Aurora
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-02-22 20:05   
Backslash is right. Besides, you could simply follow the signature with your eyes.

As for the other uses, I dunno. Interesting idea.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-02-23 06:47   
a decoy is to mutch to implement in this game. alteast that is what im thinking.
like stated above. you wil manualy aim and hologram-decoys would make the game/combat confusing.

the only effective ingame function for decoys would be long range tactical information.
but atm that is imposable since when you get a enemy signal. you can see who it is and what he is flying.
when would this kind of decoys work. when you can only see a enemy unknown signal.

e.g. you select a enemy planet or a manual nav location..
you deploy the decoy.. the decoy enters one way jump end exites the jump at +/- 5 gu/s.
the enemy detects a enemy signal or planet destress.

thats the only effective and usefull application i can think of.

[my 3 solid euro cents]

HaVoX
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-23 08:54   
I do mean a actual sig that representst the player, as for keeping the original target lock, possiably if so it would help to allow you to escape from other ships that may not have targeted you yet that are in route, leaving one ship to deal with. It could burst a second or 2 high ECM burst forceing relock on deployment, helping to allow a escape. Or it could not be used in that mannar at all, I listed several ways it could be used, as a preset def/assult option as well as a bombing decoy.

Oh the chaffing thing was the simplist part

Glad most of you like the idea though.

[ This Message was edited by: HaVoX on 2006-02-23 08:55 ]

Email HaVoX
Ants
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-02-23 09:03   
Quote:

On 2006-02-22 19:19, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
If you have the original target selected, it'll keep that target, so you'll always know which one is not the decoy.

well make it so if you drop a decoy then your lock on the other ship comes off... It dose sound good but then what? yet again it will just give off free combat press and were trying to get away from pl whoreing free points..

So if this "good" idea was to comeabout then In my view t should be something that ca draw missiles and enemy fire but no hit points as nothing should actully be there. And also Should take alot of power or something to generate it/

HaVoX
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-23 09:06   
Low hit points, one kill destroy on a decoy and no pres. Its just there long enough to allow u to escape. It can be limited by a life timer, fuel requirements or signal can fade the longer its deployed.

Email HaVoX
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-23 10:16   
Quote:

On 2006-02-23 09:03, Black beard ~R33~ wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-22 19:19, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

well make it so if you drop a decoy then your lock on the other ship comes off... It dose sound good but then what? yet again it will just give off free combat press and were trying to get away from pl whoreing free points..

So if this "good" idea was to comeabout then In my view t should be something that ca draw missiles and enemy fire but no hit points as nothing should actully be there. And also Should take alot of power or something to generate it/

If you have had that person targeted and that object becomes unlocked, it makes it easy to just re-lock the same target. This sort of thing is possible with the Medusa engine, but it would take far too much time to actually make it work correctly in my opinion. It also does not serve K'luth that well, since all you have to do to escape fire is cloak. No need for decoys. Even if it could draw missiles, what's the point. To make this work, the decoy would have to be spawned at random, meaning it could be created behind you, meaning planets will still fire missiles at YOU. This sounds too far fetched and semi-pointless too me. Not to mention if a played with a duplicate name is destroyed, the original and other duplicates are destroyed aswell. This can be tested in the editor. If I copy my ship, and paste it somewhere else, there's two of me. But if the duplicate is destroyed, I go poof, and return to the shipyard too.

Changing all of that to make just a decoy weapon work that doesn't really fit into the game in the first place, seems kind of too much work and pointless in my opinion .

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-02-23 10:18 ]

HaVoX
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-23 10:27   
Its all good, i just hought it was a fun idea , Im sure i will come up with a lot more fun and pointless ideas before im done lol

Email HaVoX
Page created in 0.028750 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR