Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Brood vs. Ganglia Idea
 Author Brood vs. Ganglia Idea
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-14 20:01   
--Alright, this idea isn't 100% thougth out, I still need to look at the armorments of each ship, but I have ran this idea past a few people and they agree.

--Since the introduction of the Brood, the K'luth have had 2 choices when it comes to bomber dreads. Now during the current version of .483, I have seen both used, but more often than not, it is the Ganglia instead of the newly added Brood.

--With this in mind it is really unnecessary to have both has a bomber so my suggestion is this;Remod the Ganglia back it's reloads and take out its bombing bays

--Now before you say this seems unfair that only the K'luth be allowed this, you need to look at things that the UGTO and ICC have. UGTO have the Agincourt Carrier (fighters) while the ICC have the Missile Dread (Large salvos of Missiles).

--By allowing the Ganglia to become one of the more unique dreads, you give it even moe purpose as well as the Brood to be used.

I will take a look at how each is modded and go over this for more details.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Starfist
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-14 21:47   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UGTO have the Agincourt Carrier (fighters) while the ICC have the Missile Dread (Large salvos of Missiles).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

niether one of these ships has a reload to reload their fighter or missle bays

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--With this in mind it is really unnecessary to have both has a bomber so my suggestion is this;Remod the Ganglia back it's reloads and take out its bombing bays

why should a kluth dread have reload bays when the other factions have to rely on a supply ship to reload their bays for missles and fighters.

if anything i think adding some missle or fight bays in place of the bomb bays would be a better idea.

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-14 22:03   
Quote:

On 2006-02-14 21:47, Starfist wrote:

UGTO have the Agincourt Carrier (fighters) while the ICC have the Missile Dread (Large salvos of Missiles).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

niether one of these ships has a reload to reload their fighter or missle bays

I understand this Star, that is why the Bomb bays would be removed to the Ganglia would act as a mobile supply. Since K'luth cannot supply cloaked it wouldn't be unbalanced.

Quote:

why should a kluth dread have reload bays when the other factions have to rely on a supply ship to reload their bays for missles and fighters.

if anything i think adding some missle or fight bays in place of the bomb bays would be a better idea.

Only problem with that idea is that the K'luth already have 2 Dreads that are combat, a 3rd would be pointless.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Ants
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-02-14 23:15   
You both do make good points... but i must also say Kluth already has 3 supplys all the need is the Ultimate Worker to be stronger... as to make one of the dreads a support to the fleet is also a good idea but it can be made a support to the fleet with missles and/or fighters... this is a good concept and would like to hear more ideas on this.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-15 03:29   
Generally, we wanted to get away from Multi-purpose ships in the last version, especially those which can build, repair, and fight. The theory is that this is in the end a team game, and its thus counterproductive to have ships which can obviate the need for a team (ie, the old command dreads). Unless you can make a strong(er) case for it, I'd personally prefer to leave building to engineers and repairing to supply ships..

(Yes, I know you're not suggesting anything about building, just an example)

I don't think Dreads should be able to do all the roles in a team. Having that much hull and armor on a repair ship, in my opinion, imbalances battles too heavily; repair ships are a strong tactical advantage and having them be relatively easy to destroy (compared to dreads, anyway) is their counterbalance.

This is how I see it, anyway. And while I tend to sometimes be hard to convince, I am not completely closed minded..
(I'm also not the head developer, so in the end my opinions are basically equal to yours)

Email Shigernafy
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-02-15 03:46   
I have been going through the ships on each faction and I am suggesting small tweaks to current layouts that will make each particular ship more useable, so that hopefully we will see a wider selection of ships in day-to-day use, and a better balanced game overall.

With the Ganglia vs Brood debate I would personally agree with Shigernafy, and we need to look at a different way of defining a role (or set of roles) for the Ganglia.

I played with the idea of suggesting the ganglia be made into a high-level minelayer, but the K'luth already have a Cruiser that performs this role, and making a minelayer dread (when mines are rarely used) would not be a productive solution. It's maneuverability (or lack thereof) ius what lets it down for this role.

I would be more inclined on focusing the Ganglia as a medium to long range support vessel. As the K'luth do not currently have a Dreanought class wormhole generator, this could also be introduced on this vessel.

My suggested layout changes for the Ganglia would be:-

- Replace BioBombs with Shredder Missiles on same arcs
- Remove the AM Torpedo
- Replace the Tachyon Drive with a WH2 Device.
- Replace an ECCM slot with an additional Aux Gen.

To complement these changesand to help define a better current role for the Brood (logistical support and bombing), I would suggest the following change:-

- Replace the FORE AM Torp with a Bio Bomb

This leaves the other two K'luth dreads as the Elite class (Siphon) and Combat class (Mandible).

Siphon falls into the role of Elite close combat, so here are the suggested changes:-

- Remove both Fighter Bays
- Add a Fore mount Assault Disruptor
- Add a Fore mount Torpedo

The Mandible falls into a general purpose combat role, with an emphasis remaining on closer ranged combat. These changes will also (to a small degree) address some energy concerns with the Mandible:-

- Remove two Fighter bays
- Add two Psi cannon (one Rear Left, and one Rear Right)
- Widen the arcs of two Fore mount AM Torps to Fore Left, and Fore Right respectively
- Replace one Fore Mount Assault Disruptor with a Fore Mount Psi-Missile.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2006-02-15 04:27 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-02-16 08:50   
Quote:

On 2006-02-15 03:46, Drafell wrote:

This leaves the other two K'luth dreads as the Elite class (Siphon) and Combat class (Mandible).

Siphon falls into the role of Elite close combat, so here are the suggested changes:-

- Remove both Fighter Bays
- Add a Fore mount Assault Disruptor
- Add a Fore mount Torpedo

The Mandible falls into a general purpose combat role, with an emphasis remaining on closer ranged combat. These changes will also (to a small degree) address some energy concerns with the Mandible:-

- Remove two Fighter bays
- Add two Psi cannon (one Rear Left, and one Rear Right)
- Widen the arcs of two Fore mount AM Torps to Fore Left, and Fore Right respectively
- Replace one Fore Mount Assault Disruptor with a Fore Mount Psi-Missile.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2006-02-15 04:27 ]

I really like the Brood and Ganglia idea.
But i dont like this point here.
Both UGTO battle dread and EAD have 4 fighter bays (maybe 2 on EAD), and i think Manadible should keep 4 to. While you might see fighters as long range weapons, having 4 fighters shot upon you from 100 gu means PD wont take them out before they shoot. 4 Fighters make a considerable force if everything they shoot hits. A big tactic i use with my BD is shooting untill armor is down, then jump close and pound those fighters in. They wont dodge, they will hit, they will hurt, flux, boom. Anyway, keep the fighters lol (i was getting a bit off-topic)

Basicly i agree with Siphon changes, but i think the Manadible should stay. Its a ship that can do a lot of damage up close (but every combat ship can do that once) and after that it can just be a bit distanced combat.

[ This Message was edited by: Sixkiller *S2* on 2006-02-16 08:52 ]

Likkarn *Freelance*
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-16 14:34   
You guys are complaining about Dread changes. At least you can USE them! Let me use one, and ill tell you what I think!

Email Likkarn *Freelance*
Page created in 0.233700 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR