Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Contributed Models
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Contributed Models
Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-01 21:20   
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but here goes...
If we made ship models, and skinned them faction-appropriately, would you [the Development Team of DS] consider using them, if they met high enough standards?
Or must the model be made by an admin/one of Palestar to be considered for use in DS? I recieved a package of texture .jpg's from FIR3TON3, and began skinning a model, when I wondered if it would be possible if it could be used for the game.

Email Light-of-Aurora
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-02-02 10:24   
As far as I am aware, the Dev's can currently only import models from the 3DS Max series, so providing the models can be saved in that format then it would be possible for one of the developers to import them.

You also have to take into consideration size restrictions on the models poly-count.
As an example:-
Fighters = 150 polies approx
ICC dread = 4500+

Obviously, 4500 is pretty high. Anyone producing models would want to keep the overall polycount to less than 2000 for any model, preferably lower. If you start going over this then you seriously need to take a hard look at what you are creating, and work out how to get the same visual effect with lower quality modelling. It is all very well creating a super high quality design, but if it cannot be kept within reasonable size restrictions then there is no way in which it could be implemented ingame.

This ISNT a notice saying that any models will be accepted. And considering I am not a developer, some of this information may not be correct or accurate, but hopefully it will be usful a general guideline as to what is needed.

Another thing you may also need to create is a lightmap for the model as well, although this may be managed via the Resourcer, I am not sure on this point.

Hope this info helps.

- Draf.

Goto the website of Drafell
Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-02 11:05   
4500!! I cut down on polys, down to 600... pwnt = me..

an example, but I'm not the greatest at skinning.. :/

Email Light-of-Aurora
Griffinhawk
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-02 11:43   
whoa!

Goto the website of Griffinhawk
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-02-02 12:08   
Could you provide a set of schematic views (top, side, bottom, front, rear) in the form of links, and also a couple of isometric renders and close ups of various sections.

This would help me give some feedback and suggestions on pushing the model slightly closer to the UGTO theme.

To me this currently looks more like an advanced destroyer or cruiser.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-02 14:38   
I don't know; that doesn't look any worse than some of our current skins.

Also keep in mind... the UGTO designs have, until now, been very... unitary. They're all one piece, whole ships. The ICC ships have some space between parts, sometimes, but that's not too much. It seems like your ship, while rather spiffy looking, is something of a departure from the norm. Our ships tend to be longer than tall. Think "phallus" and you're on the right track..
It just seems like it is very unsubstantial: lots of open air (well, space). Not very rounded. It doesn't strike me as a typical UGTO ship.
But this is only one man's opinion.

That said..

Draf pretty much hit the nail on the head. Sub-2k poly counts, and no guarantee of inclusion. And there's a specific format needed - I believe its 3dsMax 5. I'm not certain, though; our import program is only tuned to that version (or some version, anyway.. I'll try to figure out which one for certain), so make sure you can save it as that type of file (though as I'm not a modeller, I'm not really sure how possible that is).

Oh, and don't expect it to necessarily fulfill the role you envisage if it does get accepted...

Email Shigernafy
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-02-02 14:53   
3ds max 5 can import models from earlier versions without too many problems (afaik), so providing it can be saved in a format the 5 can import, there shouldn't be big problems.
Only concern is correctly importing the textures etc.

As Shig said, the UGTO ships need a little more body to them, and maybe cut down a little on those 'flutes' and add some armor patches as seen on the UGTO Cruisers and Dreads.

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-02 19:28   
Links:
http://photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/
These are some screens from different perspectives.
http://asfleet.atspace.com/3ds.html
Here are the actual 3D files, saved as .3ds, the format required I think..
I dont think polygon limits will pose a problem; they're well below 2k polys. I even thought 1300 was too high until you pointed out the limits!
I see what you mean about not looking UGTO-ish; I love how those 'flutes' look though .. It'd be great if you could help me make it more' Uggish'. .
And oh, I did think phallus! There's the head area, in back of which was a long shaft that the rest of the ship was formed over. At first there were two bulges on the bottom for engines, but got rid of them.. I thought that was going a bit too far...

[small][ This Message was edited by: [AĞ]Light-of-Aurora on 2006-02-02 20:15 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: [AĞ]Light-of-Aurora on 2006-02-03 07:53 ]

Email Light-of-Aurora
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-02-03 10:38   
Main body is too thin and skeletal to start - needs bulking out.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-02-03 19:23   
I think it looks like a K'luth ship..

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-03 20:07   
Couldn't be K'luth, I plastered the UGTO decals on it
I was just wondering, does the'building' like grey angular structure in between the sides of the ship hull seem o.k.? I liked how it looked, contrasts with the lighter, curving 'shell.'
I 've 'fleshed out' the middle section, and put much more curves; however, I've reached 1400 polygons.
On a side note, if you reach this post before 08:00 4 Feb, this isn't the latest screen; can't upload it now, I'm on a PDA that doesn't have the files.
Just wondering if this was thick enough.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/revised1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/revised2.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: [AĞ]Light-of-Aurora on 2006-02-03 20:19 ]

Email Light-of-Aurora
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-02-03 23:53   
Your right..your model does look alittle..phalic..Very phalic at that..

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-04 09:00   
I widened the ship in a few places, and broke up the long white midsection of the ship. It's around 1700 polygons.
Had a long stare at the current UGTO ships, and tried to apply some of the texture patterns used.

[ This Message was edited by: [AĞ]Light-of-Aurora on 2006-02-04 09:03 ]

Email Light-of-Aurora
warner_lowcharge
Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-07 13:30   
a very, very pretty ship....i really would like to see that in the game, maby as a new cruiser? as the current dessies and dreads have a very sharp "nose" but the cruiser is rounded, this would fit in just nicely

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-09 12:01   
I think it looks more dread-sized, but it could be my perspective. Did you have a class in mind, aurora?

And do you have a "reason" for the large tubes running from the back to the middle? Just curious why the UGTO would build them - assuming that there's some fictional reasoning behind the design. If not, "I thought they were neat" works too.

Email Shigernafy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025989 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR