Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » asking for help
 Author asking for help
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-01 11:38   
had a power outage last night for about an hour due to windstorm, seems to have killed my router.
neither of my two computers can connect to the router, reset button on router not seeming to have any noticeable effect.
power and internet lights are steady, port1 light constantly flickers like theres data going across (still doing it jack), port2 (secondary computer) light alternates between off and flicker at roughly 1-sec intervals.
primary computer was on (on ups), secondary was off when power cut out. both are functioning in their normal manner.
router is plugged directly into the wall and not on battery (or surge protection for that matter).
router defaults to 192.168.0.1, have tried manualy setting computers to .2 and .3, still cant get into router's web interface.
have tried moving ethernet cables to ports 3 and 4, with the same results (same flicker, off/flicker lights)

looking for ideas, suggestions, recommended brand of dsl modem/router (since it seems im now in the market for one, looks like d-link or netgear, linksys doesnt seem to have what i need), etc
responces will probably be slow, gotta get up to the college to get net access...

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-02-01 11:53   
Have you looked at Motorola? They are still in the router/hub business. I used to work part-time for them while I was in the Navy out in Claifornia.

Here is the blurb on thier router model BR700... but how much do you want to spend on a router hub and what particular needs to you have to have? This is a "wired" router... they also have "wireless" routers and gateways.

"Ethernet Broadband Router BR700

Craving blazing network speeds? Then wired connections are the way to go. Check out Motorola's Ethernet Broadband Router, the BR700. It's the heart of a wired network and it's built with a 4-port 10/100Base-T Ethernet router/switch that supports data rates up to 100 Mbps. Ready to network everyone in your home or small office, the BR700 is sure to satisfy even the most demanding speed demon.

Connected users can share files, pictures, peripherals, printers and more with everyone else on the network. They can also connect game consoles to play competitors on the network. And, by connecting a broadband modem (cable, DSL or other), they can share a single high speed Internet connection. That's everyone online, all at the same time."

Here is the link to thier site ...

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/home_networking.asp

I hope it helps you out Doran... it's the least I can do for all the questions and help you have given me over the years...

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Distel {Combat BUMpkin} Stolz
Cadet
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2006-02-01 12:23   
I had this happen twice to me. The first time it was a Cysco Systems Linksys router using a Motorola Surfboard cable modem. The router wasn't on a surge protector and was fried. Second time, new Linksys on a surge protector, called my cable provider and got walked through the process for manually configuring my IP address..this included turning off (unplugging) both the router and the modem. I suggest that you give customer serive a call. Or you might try this: unplug both router and your modem for about a minute; then plug in your modem and let it make its connection (until all lights are on); then plug in your router ( and let it do its thing for a about half a minute); next, go to Network Connections in the control pannel and right click on the appropriate connection and click "repair." This is supposed to re-aquire your IP address. It doesn't always work for me, however. I ususally end up calling tech support...its a short phone call and they walk me through resetting the IP address at the DOS prompt (sorry don't remember the process )

Hope this helps.

Distel

[ This Message was edited by: Distel {Combat BUMpkin} Stolz on 2006-02-01 12:24 ]

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-01 14:20   
@rocko, ill keep it in mind, tho i dont see any dsl modem/routers, just cable modem/routers. wired's fine, anything more than 4 ports is excessive for my needs

@distel, call to tech support's in order for later today if i can manage. i had the modem/router (its the same unit in this case) unplugged last night after the power came back on, was off for most of the night. according to the included documentation, pressing the reset switch for 10 seconds should be enough to revet to factory settings, tho that doesnt seem to be working

best ive been able to get is responce time outs while trying to ping it, most of the time its just comming back with destination host unreachable

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-01 14:44   
My Belkin N router is pretty kickass, expensive, but you get a loooooong long wireless range.. That's only usefull if you use wireless though...

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-01 18:43   
piece of junk is working... for the moment... wouldnt bet on for how long tho

lights are steady atm.. all my pings are comming back, ms is generaly 1-5, dhcp seems to be working as well..

holding breath...

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-02-01 19:24   
Quote:

On 2006-02-01 14:20, Doran wrote:
@rocko, ill keep it in mind, tho i dont see any dsl modem/routers, just cable modem/routers. wired's fine, anything more than 4 ports is excessive for my needs

just when i was finished this post i look if anny one posted again and you already got it working.
so im changing the post for a more informative post.

let me type a little to explain things
the term "router" is called for a device capable of creating seperate network other than it wil be connected to.
this can be the internet but you can alsow find a router behind a router behind a router connected to nothing. etc.
the term "modem" is more a verbal contracption of a device that almost no one can remember.
modem or "module - data emulator" (dont try to google this name was from before the dail-in network was born around 1960.) is a device that can translate forms of computer data (today mostly TC/IP) to a other form of transportation e.g; analog sound, digital pulsing over coax and sat-com.
the last one i call sat-com becous i don't know the real name, and becous it uses satelite connections to connect to the Inet it sounds cooler than satelite-uplink.
maby you dont know most providers borrow you a modem (or rent or worst you Have to buy), oldies stil needed a sperate Router to be able to enable multiple computers, but newer one's got the router option build in. (somethimes you stil need a switch.)
this counts as wel as for cable as for adsl.
for sat-com you can place a router but when you only got a 112 download and a 46 upload its like sharing a dail-in connection.

ok mm what to add.
looks like some guys above are giving advice on hardware.
wel i have got no advice since i do not know your situation.
but what the H. ill post my network hardware.
i got 3 IDSN lines. for phone ussage my parents got one idsn lines and i got the other two. (why two idsn. becous have you ever heard of a company with one telephone line and no fax ?)
i wil have 2 dsl lines running on those phone wires one is a adsl 8000/1024 and the other is a sdsl 2300/2300 (adsl line stil on back order)
to make it special both run from diferent cable networks that means als wel as two diferent ips's so the odds of downtime is the same chance of finding out that elvis troughs tea parties on the dark side of the moon.
both wil be connected to two adsl modems[/url.
witch wil/are (be) connected to a loadbalancig [url=http://netgear.com/products/details/FVX538.php
]router
from that router the Gbit port is connected to a Switch witch is located at the service center. were we test broken pc's, install new servers and even stres/test network components.
again from that router a two lines run from the backup server. (holding the second MX record mail server and a mysql and apache.)
the last line is the DMZ line and is connected to another router witch holds the real network.
(the second Wan port is connected to my parrents internet connection. (i love redundancy.) in case of total internet failure it switches over to there internet connection, the got a 1024/512 connection. and if that is not all, if there internet fails the Router wil use a analog modem and start dailing in.)
ok past the rediculous redundency project. afther the second router we got three Gbit lines running to three identical switches for the workstations. and the forth to a Switch witch hold the servers.
(ok the setup may not be as some people at some big ass company's wat to have. but i run a small company and all this hardware i gatherd together in about 2 years time and finaly this is a network that i am proud of exept at the moment one internet connection is stil in back-order.)

summary of all network componants.
Two ADSL modems.
One Dual wan 4 Gbit Lan port Router.
One Dual Wan 8 10/100 Lan port Router.
Two 12 port Gbit Switches managed Layer-2(12 ports each port capable of Gbit-SX or LX.
Three 24 port Gbit Switches Smart(a form of managed switch.)
additional network componants @ parents.
One One wan 8 10/100 lan port Router(with serial connected phone modem dail-up backup.)
One Serial Modem (a serial Creative Modemblaster 56K V92.)

p.s. i know people wil ask this question
"Why Netgear"
wel when we started we only had one netgear router for the vpn's. (the one that can be found newadays at my parrents.) and some 10/100 3-com switches.
september last year (2005) we were joking what i wanted for my bithday (october 24th.) and we were at the same time talking about our crappy network and the constand downtime of internet.
i joked around and told them i wanted supper redundancy and managed switches for all workstations on my birhtday.
guess what i got for my birth day . nothing but a peace of paper and a thum up from my busness partner.

when i look up ad all the things i am typing i always wonder is it in anny way usefull to even tell people my story's
and i always come to the solution. "maby you like wasting time reading my posts, i copy past every bit of usefull information i type for archivation becous it could be usefull some day, and all this typing impruves my Whatpulse count."

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-02-01 21:38   
.. yall go buy these expencive routers and crap, i got a 80 buck linksys wireless router from radioshack just for my desktop and my laptop.. works fine

Email Borgie
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-02-01 21:41   
Thats what I plan on doing since I live way out in the country... gonna get two wireless modems and a hub when I put my old cranky computer in my kids room and my gleaming new rig finally gets up and running.

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Nimitz
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-02-01 23:46   
I currently use Netgear (www.netgear.com) DG832Gv2 (wireless adsl modem/router) and I have not had any trouble with it. You could also try D-Link (www.dlink.com), Billion (www.billion.com.au) and Belkin (www.belkin.com). Try to stear away from Netcomm as there have been lots of issues with them. I won't make any recommendation as to which you should get cause you're the only one who knows what you need from your router, Doran.

@Distel:
You can reaquire a new IP at the DOS prompt by doing:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

you can do /renew directly but sometimes it's better to clear everything first.

@Fir3ton3:
Routers are used to link 2 different types of networks together. Switches/hubs are used to connect devices in one network together. Routers and switches work at different layers of the OSI Model.

A modem is called a "MODulator-DEModulator" is used to translate digital data from your computer into analog signals so that it can be transferred over the standard phone lines. That is the standard modem. Nowadays, there are many kinds of modems, used to communicate over different mediums such as fibre optic, satellite, etc.
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-02 03:59   
well I got 2 3COM Office Connect Router/APs here
They are pretty good, and most of all stable
Good interface nice options, just no traffic shaping and WPA2 (dont miss anything else)
I have 2 of them because I have a WLAN backbone at my home
They were not the cheapest I could get (80 €), but they might be much cheaper now
Anyway at that time they were the best choice for me and I havent regret it (yet?)
Although someone could tell me where to get a 3COM AP with WPA2, traffic shaping and still being at less than 100 €

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-02-02 16:17   
Quote:
On 2006-02-01 21:38, Borgie *SC* Fix the lag!! wrote:
.. yall go buy these expencive routers and crap, i got a 80 buck linksys wireless router from radioshack just for my desktop and my laptop.. works fine

today me and my busness partner own a company, we got a about 27 other company's depending on us for Support, service etc.
but we stil deliver solutions and soft/hardware to ordinary households. we don't provide just one kind of brand. we sell the best equipment for a price that the customer accepts.
if you want wireless we might give you linksys or asus. if you want a decent and secure router we would give you the advice for netgear, cisco or a 3com. if you want a cheap office workstation we might sell you a HP or maxdata. etc.

Quote:
On 2006-02-01 21:41, Rocko Willis[R33] wrote:
Thats what I plan on doing since I live way out in the country... gonna get two wireless modems and a hub when I put my old cranky computer in my kids room and my gleaming new rig finally gets up and running.

might i make a sugestion. for long ranges you might need somthing other than a normal wireless router/accespoint. Signal-seeker we use them for people who live out of town. it realy is posable to extend up to a couple of kilometer. think the maximum range we got was about 4,5 kilometer thats about 2,75 miles

Quote:

On 2006-02-01 23:46, Nimitz *T2* wrote:
@Fir3ton3:
Routers are used to link 2 different types of networks together. Switches/hubs are used to connect devices in one network together. Routers and switches work at different layers of the OSI Model.

ok you are right about this one, and slap me becous i may got my cisco certificate but i stil suck at it.
Quote:

A modem is called a "MODulator-DEModulator" is used to translate digital data from your computer into analog signals so that it can be transferred over the standard phone lines. That is the standard modem. Nowadays, there are many kinds of modems, used to communicate over different mediums such as fibre optic, satellite, etc.

you are partialy right about this one to but.
Modem maby tou are right about it, maby not becous i have talked with a lot of people who were working on computers before there was a ARPA net. and most of them remember the "modular date emulator" witch the called "modem" fror short.

Quote:

On 2006-02-02 03:59, DOM700 [-IMO-] wrote:
Although someone could tell me where to get a 3COM AP with WPA2, traffic shaping and still being at less than 100 €

to my knowlage 3com only got WPA2 on there managed acces points.
and yes unfortianatly the cost more than 200 €.

Page created in 0.017146 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR