Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Thoughts of a new weapon - ECCM bouy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Thoughts of a new weapon - ECCM bouy
Rattle$nAkeGold
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-28 10:40   
I was having thoughts about a new weapon type that could be used across all factions. It is called an ‘ECCM BUOY’.

The ECCM BUOY would be similar to a mine in delivery and use. It could be fitted on most ships like the mine. You would lay the buoys out in an array to aid in ship detection.

This is not a new or clever idea. For years navies have used the sonar buoy to help detect subs in the open ocean.

What are your thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2005-11-28 15:46 ]

Email Rattle$nAkeGold   Goto the website of Rattle$nAkeGold
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-11-28 10:44   
Wouldn't work that great, since ships could just shoot them down. They'd be hard to cloak with ECM aswell, since they have ECCM... Making it hard to mask them so they can't be shot down.

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-11-28 12:43   
sounds good to me.

there is allready the fighterbased version of longe range detection, i know that, but only ugto can build those.

we actuly, in an (very)old version of DS, had somthing like this, sensor platforms, i know F was/is working on a way to reimplement them again.

who knows, we can only hope right

when talking defencive messures i think there are to few of them avalible, im still for the return of the elf wave to luth you know

anyway this could be an nice addtition to an defencive fraction like icc , hehe.

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-11-28 12:52   
Quote:

On 2005-11-28 10:44, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Wouldn't work that great, since ships could just shoot them down. They'd be hard to cloak with ECM aswell, since they have ECCM... Making it hard to mask them so they can't be shot down.

see why did you write that at all it dont make any sence

1. its eccm, its function is to raise the signature why would you drop one of those, just to mask it with ecm to defend it ?

2. who say these devices need to have the hull value of a scout , just give them hull value of a station or larger so its gona take lots of fire to blow it out of the sky for the op force

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-28 13:01   
Quote:

On 2005-11-28 12:52, Ragglock wrote:
Quote:

1. its eccm, its function is to raise the signature why would you drop one of those, just to mask it with ecm to defend it ?

2. who say these devices need to have the hull value of a scout , just give them hull value of a station or larger so its gona take lots of fire to blow it out of the sky for the op force

Actually that's a fair point, so long as the buoy has no other means of defence.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-11-28 13:55   
Quote:

Quote:

Mines can't be given the hull value of a station...

It'd need to be made into a different object with the properties of a mine if that was the case (I think).

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-11-28 15:31   
i could maybe see a beacon buoy being a good idea - itd give out a ping even if it werent attatched to anything, so you could say guide a fleet through a minefield safely, and it could also attatch to anything that hit it

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-28 15:53   
Yeah, just make sure the beacon buoys are connected by red lines. You know how much difficulty Bito has with Connect-The-Dots.

Email Axalon
Rattle$nAkeGold
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-28 16:58   
The ECCM buoy would be a new object to deploy. You would toss them out of your ship just like a mine. The buoy would just float in space casting out eccm pings. They would be used strictly for detecting an enemy in open space. You could circle a key planet or a gate with them to drive up enemy signature. Since it is a buoy, it would not have any offensive capabilities.

Email Rattle$nAkeGold   Goto the website of Rattle$nAkeGold
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-11-28 20:07   
thats a great idea, make them in a mine slot that way only mine laying ships can lay them, and just with minds they gotta be re layed after awhile

Email Borgie
thundercat984
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-22 04:16   
i had the exact same thought! it would make mine layers useful again.

[ This Message was edited by: thundercat982 on 2006-02-22 04:18 ]

Email thundercat984
Ants
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-02-22 07:59   
Quote:

On 2005-11-28 13:55, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Mines can't be given the hull value of a station...

It'd need to be made into a different object with the properties of a mine if that was the case (I think).

I must aggree with jack on the Mines can't be given the hull value of a station... If we did that then everyone would start hunting for these Station size bouys to attack just for pres.

But you can make them the same a mines small aswell as easy to Piond defence attack them.. atleast if they are there then for a short time it will show an enemy... But in that case if theres an ECMed Fleet or ship and it can detect them then there should be la sensor that can detect a cloaked Ship aswell... Fair is fair in my views .

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-02-22 08:18   
Quote:

On 2006-02-22 07:59, Fatal Ants *XO 1* wrote:

But you can make them the same a mines small aswell as easy to Piond defence attack them.. atleast if they are there then for a short time it will show an enemy... But in that case if theres an ECMed Fleet or ship and it can detect them then there should be la sensor that can detect a cloaked Ship aswell... Fair is fair in my views .

just to add in case this gets implimented.

make this mine harder to destroy than a normal mine.
atleast 2 hits from anny weapon.
just becous these are not offensive/defencive weapons but tactical and strategical.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-22 10:03   
Quote:

On 2006-02-22 04:16, thundercat982 wrote:
i had the exact same thought! it would make mine layers useful again.

no, new mines wont make minelayers usefull again, mines that did more damage than a 2year-old with one of those inflatable hammers you get at carnivals would make minelayers usefull again. . and on that note, take a look at beta

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-02-22 10:33   
The ECCM boy idea will be dealt with once platforms are finally introduced. These will be supply/ECCM/defense platforms that can be built by players in space to fortify certain area's.

The intriguing notion would be this idea in the form of remote beacon deployment. Instead of a mine with a conventional explosive payload, it would deploy a beacon on anything that it hits.

Also, this thread really belongs in Beta, so I will move it there soonish. Just giving everyone some prior warning of where to look.

Goto the website of Drafell
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020771 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR