No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » Moderator Update 11/22/05
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Moderator Update 11/22/05
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-22 04:19   
Moderator Update, 22 Nov 05

In the absence of a developer update, I've decided to post my own update. I have, as some of you may know, been a developer at one point, and am an off-duty Admin as well - the past tense and off-duty due to my current living situation, which precludes active work on DarkSpace. However, I still have an interest in the survival of this game, and something of a sense of humor, so I shall endeavor to keep the peace by posting my updates. I called it a Moderator Update to avoid huge disappointment between reading the subject on the Latest Topics list and seeing its true form. It does, however, deal with development.

This last week, I've been working hard on various critical updates to the game. Last monday, I spent almost 5 hours working in Photoshop, creating a Gaifen with realistic eyebrows. I attempted to draw them in myself, applying various filters and such, but inevitably failed - that was an hour an a half. After that, I decided to fall back on the resplendent eyebrows of our recently deposed friend, Mr. Hussein:

After importing his face, I gave him a nice dark red hue to approximate the skin tone of the gaifen - I didn't want his lovely tan showing through and ruining the realism. This, however, distracted me, as he looked rather devilish, so I set about adding horns and flames in his eyes, and then printed him out and played with his face a bit - cut out his mouth and made him speak evilly to passing school children.

Come afternoon, I got back to work, this time trimming out the eyebrows. I attached them to the Gaifen model, and then quit for the day.

Tuesday, I added animation to the hairs. If you look closely when the update comes out, you should be able to see the Gaifen eyebrows waving gently in the solar winds. Its quite mesmerizing, at least until the Mouth Beams hit.

And speaking of Mouth beams, that was Wednesday's task. I set out coding Tooth Cannons, where the Gaifen can launch dentures at any attacking vessels - but only after first being attacked. Its like he was punched in the mouth, and then spits his teeth at the attacker. This turned out to be harder to code than I expected, so it took up Thursdasy as well.

Friday, I perfected the art for the Tooth Cannon, and then copied the AM Mines into a new, more distructive Gaifen-only variant called the Gaifen Pie. It will be laid out behind gaifens. Due to its stink, the area of effect on the weapon is quite large. I have to do some beta testing on it, but theoretically it should be able to take down a frigate at 100gu. Its some deadly droppings.

Anyway, this week I'm planning on tackling the addition of a Gaifen Mother-in-Law, possibly the most fearsome creature in the galaxy. I'll keep you updated (in Two Weeks).

- Shig "R" Nafy
Lead Developer, Gaifen Division
Palestar

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2005-11-22 04:20 ]

Email Shigernafy
Scotty
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-22 04:32   
lol Shiggy.

The high Alpine airmust be getting to you

And as far as mothers-in-law go, I can't wait.

Scotty

Email Scotty
Nim *
Chief Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-11-22 04:48   

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-11-22 05:06   
Teeheehee

Goto the website of Drafell
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-11-22 10:37   
Best update... ever.

Email Ramius
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-11-22 11:18   
=D hahahaha

I can just see the reports of the first one of these Saddam/gafiens captured in the Mv.

"Ladies and Gentlemen... We got em"..

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-11-22 11:20   
or
"Ladies and Gentlemen.. We got.. some.. thing.."

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-11-22 12:01   
worst update ever

Email Borgie
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-11-22 12:45   

-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-11-22 12:49   
lol, great update =P

James Bum007
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-11-22 14:24   
All I can do is put my head down and pray that you dont come up with grampa Gaifens.

Email James Bum007
Captain Sternn
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-22 14:39   
LOL shig ...I can only hope that you don't have to draw inspiration for the coming week from real life up close observation.

-Captain Stern

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-11-22 17:59   
i subspect good old shiggy been looking to deep into the weed bag again (just like old times)

he is probaly also responsible for this work of art, at an none disclosed location , but thats only "a bad feeling" TM lucasfilm

[ This Message was edited by: Ragglock on 2005-11-22 17:59 ]

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-11-22 22:36   
Gents! Dont let him fool you! I have kept in touch with our friend, "Shig 'R' Nafy" through his Alpine Adventures (sue me, we have staff issues to work out; besides, I was hoping he could introduce me to a find young Austrian barmaid, like the ones seen in the Sound of Music...huh? You mean those weren't barmaids?) He has told me in complete confidence (Im such a bastard, I tell secrets on the internet!) about the "work" he has really been up to! I will share it with you now, my priveledged friends.

All I can tell you at this moment is that he has assumed the dress of the locals! And be sure, friends, there will be no "Saddam HuGaifen." Uday and Qusay are not in the works either. The mother-in-law I am not at liberty to comment on, as certain members of the PaleStar team may really be trying to bring new content to the land of the Unknowns...Rest assured, though, that Austria is all fun and games, friends...

Puppies gotta die, too.

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-22 23:52   
No offense but seeing how this game is basically dead you devs shouldn't be making jokes......just an observation on one of my "favorite" games that I dont enjoy playing anymore because noone else does........

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028805 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR