No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Bombing must be fixed!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Bombing must be fixed!!!
Nim *
Chief Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-08-30 08:33   
Rank Admiral
Prestige 21091.2

Games Played 151
Time Played 462650
Kills 29
Killed 226
Bonus Prestige 92
Ships Damaged 237.149536
Ships Captured 2
Planets Damaged 17860.121094
Planets Captured 506.986023
Friendly Fire 37.035393
Repair 1017.116028
Construction 1252.851318
Kamikaze 1.0878
Self Destructs 9
Jumps 3446
Planet Collisions 103
Credits 7433446
Scout 3
Resources Lost 796373.3125
Missions Completed 0
Missions Failed 0
Influence 0
Command 0

The above stat shows how easy it is for new players to gain rank in a very short time.... because of the bombing problem..

Soon there will be a lot of newbie FA's without even a gold combat badge....

I myself worked veryhard to get my bombing points last patch and it is taking the **** on how easy it is to get it now....

Nim

[ This Message was edited by: Nim {C?} on 2005-08-30 08:34 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-30 08:49   
Ah i know whos profile that is, and that guy should remember,
that WHENEVER i will find you in MV, i WILL hunt you down. You received numerous messages from me to stop mirving planets just to gain prestige, and you said that was the ONLY reason you bombed.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-30 09:01   
Games Played 844
Time Played 1545490
Kills 261
Killed 890
Bonus Prestige 137
Ships Damaged 3116.619385
Ships Captured 4
Planets Damaged 31432.859375
Planets Captured 504.036255
Friendly Fire 462.416718
Repair 6214.336914
Construction 2033.151855
Kamikaze 1.9518
Self Destructs 65
Jumps 6961
Planet Collisions 318
Credits 22579788
Scout 98
Resources Lost 3331029.25

Less time than me played, and just 20k below me...

My time played/prestige was one of the best ratio's in the game..

Now I just feel like all my hardwork has gone down the pooper...

I think a mass "Planets Damaged" stat rollback to 1.482 would be best, because there is litraly no combat in the MV. As a combat-whore (I play the game because the combat here is the best i've seen from any game). Now, people are just bombing, no combat. I dont want to play anymore, and im sure some of you have noticed that I havnt been logging on in the morning or sometimes not atall anymore. This game has been killed for me by those of you who refuse to play the game how it was meant to be played. Your just bombing to gain prestige, whilst that isnt a bad thing, or rather, wasnt a bad thing before 1.483, I do indeed frown upon those new players that do it.

I worked bloody hard for my rank, several times over, via resets and other acc's, now it just feels like im being laughed at, someones reached my rank in less than a month thanks to bombing, and its...its disrespecting those of us who took the time to play the game for months and months on end to get to this rank, its ridiculing us.

Roll back the "Planet Damage" stat to 1.482, we'll see who those people are who bomb whored, and if it keeps happening, keep rolling back. Its the only way to deter bombers. Those of us who have been bombing legit, will keep our stats, or close to them. Like me, I havnt bombed since 1.482, because I know its unfair, so I wont lose a bean, Nim has bombed, but not much, i'd imagine he'd lose around 5k-10k or so, but that isnt much, if you look at his stat.

- BackSlash 'being laughed at from above' *Jack*

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-08-30 09:14 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-30 09:20   
just to let you know jack, yes i noticed:p

Nim *
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-30 09:31   
Quote:

Roll back the "Planet Damage" stat to 1.482, we'll see who those people are who bomb whored, and if it keeps happening, keep rolling back. Its the only way to deter bombers. Those of us who have been bombing legit, will keep our stats, or close to them. Like me, I havnt bombed since 1.482, because I know its unfair, so I wont lose a bean, Nim has bombed, but not much, i'd imagine he'd lose around 5k-10k or so, but that isnt much, if you look at his stat.

- BackSlash 'being laughed at from above' *Jack*

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-08-30 09:14 ]

I would love it if that happens... Teach those bombers a lesson

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-30 09:36   

(not like id lose any either)

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-30 10:18   
I agree...

Email Bobamelius
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-30 11:33   
agreed...

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Arcanum {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-30 11:35   
Bombing must indeed be fixed. Period.

But the problem of fixing the prestige gained by players who have profited from the current iteration of the game presents a very interesting policy issue.

Let me explain.

As much as we all dislike how certain individuals have made bombing their sole activity on Darkspace, and as much as we all dislike to see people without Gold Combat be ranked Admiral, we must also approach this issue in a fair-minded fashion.

So putting aside our gut instincts and emotions for a moment, let us examine impartially what has occurred.

Darkspace as a game is offered to the public, for a monthly monetary payment. And as wrong as it seems to us, a person who joins Darkspace AFTER the implementation of 1.483 has only seen one iteration of the game. And so for this person, the game is not flawed; that person will take it at face value. And that person will, naturally, congregate to the activity that he perceives as being the most advantageous to himself. And that activity is bombing.

And herein lies the murky waters of policy making. If Faustus were to reduce the amount of prestige gained by such a person, he would be effectively negating the effort and time spent by this person playing the only iteration of the game that he knew. And the fact is, this person may NOT have subscribed to the game had bombing not been thusly implemented. So, to confiscate the prestige gained by such a newcomer would in fact lead to some very interesting questions about ownership of character and game time.

Which leads to another issue. Let's assume that bombing was not such a prestige-gaining activity. Would this newcomer have enjoyed the game at all, given the current lack of activity in the Metaverse? Combat is not a very paying activity either, due to the numerous imbalances and bugs and exploits that are floating around. Supplying is directly linked to combat. Which leaves...engineering. But engineering is not a very exciting activity, and one which most people would not pay to do EXCLUSIVELY.

So if you negate or reduce the only thing which made Darkspace remotely fulfilling for these newcomers, what have they got at the end of all their effort? They might as well not have played the game. And many would be fully justified when they ask for a refund, saying that they did not pay to play a game with one semi-functional feature and then have their player gains associated with said one semi-functional feature removed or reduced because of the overbalanced nature of this feature.

--

This is not to say that I disagree with the opinions made in the first post. I am merely drawing out the suggestion of prestige reduction to its logical conclusion, and demonstrating that a severe policy issue stems from the suggestion.

As it stands now, players who have worked hard over the years for their ranks are feeling that their effort has been marginalized by the easy prestige gain in 1.483. But this comes at no penalty to them, because the work they have put in still grants them that rank. And nothing of theirs has been taken away.

If newcomers would be penalized in bombing prestige, now, THEIR time would be marginalized, but at the same time, they would be penalized (by loss of rank) for what, to them, was honest work. (Let's put aside for now, the extreme cases of abuse).

In games, it seems that penalties are never desirable compared to compensation. Because penalties (imposed on players who have not violated any rules) infringe on a player's time and effort, while compensation is a gift from game developers to players who have been marginalized.

--

I personally believe that bombing was a great issue for 1.483. And yes, it has benefited many of the people who bomb exclusively. And I am NOT AT ALL disagreeing with the suggestion of prestige reduction. But in light of the fact that it does create policy issues, I'd like to brainstorm with everyone else about the different kinds of ideas that could be done without causing loss to some players who may well be just enjoying the ONLY VERSION of the game they know.

One idea is to compensate people like Backslash and many others who have worked hard for their ranks with additional prestige.

Another is to reduce bombing prestige, but give everyone a coupon for 2-3 weeks worth of subscription time to compensate them for their loss of time and effort.

--

I do not have the perfect solution, but I do not believe that simply wiping someone's bombing prestige (however justified in certain cases) is the best way to handle such a situation - because it does create innocent victims. And if we look at modern justice, better to let a hundred criminals go free than to execute one innocent man.

And since in games, the consequences are even of less consequence, there must be a smarter way to handle this.

Any ideas?

We are many. We are one.

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-08-30 12:13   
im reading right ????

basical i agree.

just every time i login its nim and his hordes of bombers lvling planets (mirv) style

put your head where your mouth is would be a good start

and for playing at all the current code made it impossible for me to play kluth

they have no planets left = no ships = no devices

all have been mirv lvled by the wild ugto/icc prestige ranking whores

and im not just gona switch fraction and start bombing would make my resentment on this issue be missplaced.

only option for me now since all of kluth gone is to end my sub to DS to bad

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-30 12:24   
The point is, Nim ALWAYS bombs. Its the people who have moved OVER to bombing just to get a higher rank quicker.

Nim already had GA
Nim already had the highest "planets damaged" stat

Why would he still do it just for "prestige gain", he doesnt need any. Im more angered over the new players that are abusing it. I dont blame them atall for using it infact, as a new player, you want to rankup as quickly as possible, and its there, and they want to use it.

The thing that annoys me most is that I didnt have those privilages, and now im seeing people overtake me both in rank and in prestige because of this, and have a lower time played than me, which I was bloody proud of, not many people have as much prestige as me and as little time played (appart from Dem (thats the only person that comes to mind that I can remember). It took skill to do that, and I was carefull of what I did, and when. Now its just "bomb 10 planets and voila, im just as high-arank as Backyboo and other FA's in less than a 1000th of the time.

I would really like to see a "Planets Damaged" only stat rollback.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-08-30 12:27 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-30 12:33   
will everyone STOP saying Nim is only using Mirvs?
For the last 2 weeks EVERY, and then seriously EVERY time i saw nim bombing he was using neutrons, and whenever someone asked nim what bombs to use, he said neutrons.

Off topic:
If anyone has a screenie of a station exploding at a scout/frigate/dessy could he please send it to me:D

Arcanum {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-30 13:45   
Fury bombs can level a planet and have equivalent effect of Mirvs.

Nim went through a phase involving his Command Station, so he effectively Mirved planets, just that he utilized Fury bombs.

We are many. We are one.

The Anarchist
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-30 13:53   
Hey stop using my profile! lol.
But yes I agree, it's getting a bit annoying to look at a built system, only to come back the next morning belonging to the enemy and most likely wiped out.

Email The Anarchist
Nim *
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-30 13:54   
Quote:

On 2005-08-30 13:45, Arcanum {C?} wrote:
Fury bombs can level a planet and have equivalent effect of Mirvs.

Nim went through a phase involving his Command Station, so he effectively Mirved planets, just that he utilized Fury bombs.

Only during a short time when i got annoyed of having all of our planets mirved...

And i didnt pres whore. I just nuked all the sy's (not to mention loosing the command station in the process due to game bug)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025028 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR