Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Supply Stations. No, not those; these:
 Author Supply Stations. No, not those; these:
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-08-25 19:52   
What with the apparent ease of bombing and such in these troubled times, beachhead and supply worlds seem to be fruitless endeavours. Therefore, I propose a supplementary solution.

Simply put, you load a specialized beacon into your weapons or cargo (if possible), single shot, that once fired will summon a specialized supply station (the arrival of which should take a considerable, though not mind-numbingly long time) that comes equipped with many, many supply bays and many many point defense beams and maybe some fighters.

The station would sit there, operated by a simple AI program that tell it to resupply friendly ships in it's presence (Note: Perhaps give it the option that, once arrived, could be sent a targetmessage with syntax to enable an access password to limit usage or possibly grant usage to an allied hostile in times of an overpopulated faction; the staton would targetmessage new arrivals with the need of a PW and once replied to properly, would grant supply access and possibly hold fire on "hostile" allies), shoot down incoming fighters/missiles, and launch anti-ship fighters at attackers to deter small or lone ships. Of course, it would be easily destroyed by any meager fleet of more than four ships or single/two behemoths, the aformentioned most likely following a ship foolish enough to jump directly to the station.

Thus, such a station would be best deployed in the emptiness of voidspace, a rally point in times of dire defeat, a waystation for extended assaults, a home away from home- think Fleetstation Ticonderoga from Starship Troopers.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar {C?} on 2005-08-25 19:54 ]

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-25 19:55   
Me likey.

Email Bobamelius
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-26 00:37   
If they could only be deployed at a friendly planet, cant be moved, sits AROUND the planet (like a ring), and perhaps only controllable by GA's.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-26 09:58   
I like it, but it would probably be abused to all hell, and create lots of lag.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-08-26 14:42   
To solve numbers, make them one per fleet.

And having them deployable at a friendly planet only would defeat the purpose. If you have a planet in your grip, then you would have no need for one of these.

They shouldn't create much lag, with their simple AI routine. No flight protocols, or anything. They would just WH into existance after being summoned.

As far them being overbalanced for any reason... All you need to do is track a fleeing ship to one, and two dreads or one good-piloted one should easily take it down... unless it has defenders.

Oh, and they are immobile. Maybe if summoned again they will WH there... or not.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar {C?} on 2005-08-26 14:44 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-27 13:53   
Quote:

On 2005-08-26 14:42, Sardaukar {C?} wrote:

define 'fleet'

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-08-27 15:18   
Ive Always liked the Idea of Large controlable stationary AI stations, The Deep Space Sector bases, etc.

m8, I really gotta be honest with ya on this idea. I think you got some really good ideas when it comes to the station, but as for the Deployment all i can see is Uber Abuse.

Alot of the jobs that you are requesting to be fullfilled by this AI ship are the Roles that Human players are supposed to be filling.

And I think your suggestion really hits the area that DS might need to Rethink. That question is ... Should DarkSpace Increase the Number of AI thats in the Metaverse???

Thats why i wanted to coment on this. Your suggestion is really very interesting because DarkSpace is a Team Work Based Game, and how can you have teamwork with out a Team or a larger player base?

-Charz

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-08-28 19:15   
By fleet, I mean any fleet that is actually a respectable fleet... either one that has been here awhile or is otherwise noteworthy. A few lines of code would be able to tag fleets as such. Maybe limit them to so many per average players on a faction.

I don't really see the abuse possible in this system. Well, actually, I could see a lone bomber calling one in to a certain point in space near a planet, beyond the planets field of fire, and rearming at it. You could remove the stations capacity to rearm Bomb Bays to solve that, a special sort of supply bay.
These things cannot move on their own power other than WH'ing to a new summoning beacon, and any competant dreadnaught should be able to scuttle it. Just swat it's few fighters out of the sky, and beam it to death- it's only defensive guns would be Point Defense beams and antiship fighters, anyways. Give it zero armor to hammer in the weakness of it, or make it slightly armored but unable to WH within... oh, 10,000-20,000 GU of a star, or some other numerical value that keeps it in "voidspace".

These things are useless for attack, can't move, and have a snowballs chance against a decent dreadnaught pilot, if only because any smaller ships would take too long to break through it's hull.

AI-wise, this thing wouldn't need the complicated flight AI of your standard AI ship. It would never use a JD or any engines for that matter, just a WH with a really long recharge time. Like, two minutes for the initial summon, and a half-hour/hour between each movement.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-29 10:30   
We've always had a pretty strong policy of avoiding AI for roles like this.. it seems like a role for a player, in a supply ship.

Its an intriguing idea, and I'm not opposed to it in some ways. I just don't think it works within the idea of DarkSpace that we currently have.

Email Shigernafy
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-08-29 22:42   
Shouldn't platforms likely fix this issue?

Email Ramius
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-31 11:59   
Quote:

On 2005-08-29 10:30, Shigernafy wrote:
We've always had a pretty strong policy of avoiding AI for roles like this.. it seems like a role for a player, in a supply ship.

Its an intriguing idea, and I'm not opposed to it in some ways. I just don't think it works within the idea of DarkSpace that we currently have.

Agree'd, too much would need to be done to make them balanced.

And rami has a point, platforms should fulfill those roles.

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-31 13:39   
Quote:

On 2005-08-27 13:53, Fattierob (x2 Pistolet Makarov) wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-08-26 14:42, Sardaukar {C?} wrote:

define 'fleet'

well, obviously 1 per side, 1 for ICC one for k'luth and one for UGTO.

Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2005-09-10 17:14   
Quote:

On 2005-08-26 00:37, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
If they could only be deployed at a friendly planet, cant be moved, sits AROUND the planet (like a ring), and perhaps only controllable by GA's.

Jack, What is it with you and Grand fricking Admiral ONLY commands? GIVE IT UP *** HOLE! We have enough trouble trying to get a GA ranked person to go in and UNLOCK planets!

Oh yea I can see that one... we lower ranked people need the help of such Station but can't get one to our location due to your happy ass is in the chat room instead of in the game where it should be. Not to mention that you would not come to help even if you were called. GIVE IT UP!

With the current pres lost code, NOBODY will be GA ranked for long. Nobody that actually play the game anyway instead of lobby camping!

Page created in 0.231603 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR