No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Is this a good game for a newbie?
 Author Is this a good game for a newbie?
smg77
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-15 23:26   
Are there new people joining this game or is it full of vets who will want nothing to do with a new person?

[ This Message was edited by: smg77 on 2005-08-16 09:32 ]

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-15 23:47   
its a lil bit of both actually, the vets tend to feed off n00b energy, so avoid the MV until yer at rank to where you can take them on

Email GothThug {C?}
Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-16 00:12   
I suggest you reach Vice Admiral at least before taking on any vets here. =P

I'm a vet myself sorta but, I don't play this game anymore and I'm only 1st Rear Admiral in the 'less than year' playing this game. But, you'll meet good friends here and such... we are a nice bunch if you get yourself into convos every now and then.

Email Shippo
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-16 04:34   
**bonks Shippo on the head and puts him back in his cage**

Sorry about that, we thought he woulden't chew through the wires this time...

-Ent

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-08-16 04:39   
before you go the Metaverse server, try to be able to fly a supply ship or a picket destroyer. If you got those, you can go in Metaverse (im not saying you arent going to die tough, but hey, im a VA and i die about once a day:P)

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-16 04:43   
Quote:

On 2005-08-16 00:12, Shippo wrote:
I'm a vet myself sorta

lol

You'll find a lot of helpfull players, mostly vets in the lobby and a few ingame sometimes. You just have to log in at the right time .

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-08-16 08:06   
Quote:

On 2005-08-15 23:26, smg77 wrote:
Are there new people joining this game or is it full of vets who will want nothing to do with a new person?

Smg77, there are new people that join this game everyday. There are alot of Vets/players & Fleets/Clans that would take you in and show you the ropes.

Do you need to be a VA to take on a Vet. No thats not true. DarkSpace is like Everything Else. You need to Practice at it to be good.

When thinking about joining a Fleet, remember that every new player must look at the Fleet's Faction. Some fleets will " faction hop" .. and some Fleets will stay no matter how bad off things get.

Getting Started:

Play Newbie till you Rank up and get a Feeling on how to do a little bit of Everything. If you have problems, Ask people in game, or In the lobby, or in the fourms.

When it comes time to find a Faction, Try all 3. See what You like and tag along with a Bigger ship in a Support Capacity. Get a Battle Buddy.

if you do all of that I think you will enjoy this game, and not have to worry about not having any fun.

-Charz

Arcanum {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-16 10:11   
To get the best experience out of this game, I suggest the following:

1. Start off as UGTO. Learn the following: navigation, building planets/engineering, mining, capturing planets/transporting troops and how to use starports and shipyards.

2. Try out ICC. Learn combat, shield rotation, ship modding and bombing. Stay around ICC for a while until you feel genuinely comfortable with your ship.

3. When you are mentally ready, and at least Commander rank, try K'luth. Learn cloaking, energy management, signature management, advanced combat tactics, advanced bombing, and active planetary defense.

4. Revisit each faction, and determine which one you like. Decide on a faction that you want to play more permanently, if you would like to join a fleet. Fleets are the Darkspace equivalent of clans in other games.

--

As an aside, find good mentors to learn from. If you learn from the wrong person, you could still be a Vice Admiral after two years. If you learn from the right person, you could be Grand Admiral in several months, and be a deadly, well respected pilot at that.

Be nice. There will always be bickering between factions, but aside from the in-game taunting, try to be calm and level headed about the game. And if you do end up choosing K'luth as your faction, don't get too discouraged if it seems like they are constantly being nerfed. It has been like that for several years now, with no relief in sight. But in the end, a pilot with K'luth training is really the cream of the crop. Adversity engenders excellence.

Remember, everyone is trying their best for their faction out there, so they are just like you in that respect. And everyone is trying to have a good time, though not everyone understands this concept. Don't be one of those people.

There will always be some people who get to you, but rather than letting that discourage you, just ignore them and continue enjoying the game. It really is the best implementation of space strategy on the market today. Bar none.

Good luck to you. Should you ever have any questions or needs, I am always willing to lend a helping hand. Cheers!

We are many. We are one.

klaz28
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-16 10:29   
I started up an account about two weeks ago. It is a bit daunting at the start, but extremely enjoyable.

There are a good number of new players. ALOT of Veterns who play on the newbie server, but they're good fun, and helpful, for the most part.

I tend to play on my work lunch (1 hour), with a few days of 4 hrs of playtime. And I've advanced a fair bit.

From this site there really isn't enough information about the game mechanics so I'd suggest checking out the following for information:

http://captnsmooth.tripod.com/links.html
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/%7Edarkspace/site/dsacademy/

Both have good guides when it comes to building. However when you start you won't be doing any building. You'll be limited to basic ships. Just use the troopship to take over neutral and enemy planets. It doesn't take long to advance when you do that. (took me a while to realise it).

once you get the engineer, join a newbie game (as usual) take a neutral planet, and just start building. read the guides. They do help, but you do need to practice. If anyone interrupts be polite, but ask them to get their own planet. Usually they will, although there are a few annoying players who won't. (and will build loads messing up your build queue)

I'm a Lieutenant Commander (which isn't all that impressive), and I'm still focused on building. Actual combat I'd ignore, unless you have a few guys on your team to help.

Really fun game. ANd if you like building up planets (I love building planets with huge defenses), it gets really cool.

Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-16 16:11   
Quote:

On 2005-08-16 04:34, Enterprise wrote:
**bonks Shippo on the head and puts him back in his cage**

Sorry about that, we thought he woulden't chew through the wires this time...

-Ent

Very funny Ent... I don't chew through wires.. and I am a fox demon thank you very much... (if you get where I'm going anyway)

Email Shippo
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-16 16:11   
What Arcanum said, plus when you will be at stage 3 of his proposed plan ( trying out the K'luth ), you shouldn't even TRY to kill another ship before reading this : http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=35534&forum=13&8

and check out all valuable info tidbits there : http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewforum.php?forum=13&1122

And if all else fails, for any question regarding advanced combat tactics for the ICC and K'luth faction especially, you can always private message me through the forums, I check my mail everyday.

Safe sailing m8ey, arggghhh.

Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-08-16 16:39   
What? Is K'luth the only faction with "Advanced Tactics"? -.-

And DS is newb friendly, if you go into the lobby and I'm there.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Page created in 0.018052 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR