Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Charging...
 Author Charging...
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-07 18:42   
I get crazy ideas occasionnally, luckily..er...actually no. This is another crazy idea.

Being unsure here on this one, it may have a few holes but nonetheless, it seems a bit soild.

The idea is a simple one : Charging Weapons/Shields/Etc.

Told you it was crazy.

Charging is simple enough that you take extra time and energy (with the mere press of a button) to give something a "boost", at the expense of the above and a longer reload time (for weapons) or recharge (for shields).

Shields

Simple enough, the shields are altered so that you can direct the other shield arcs so that one arc can read 200% or all arcs read 120%. This would require a few minutes time, and quite a bit of energy, along with Active shields would require more energy to run.

Shields still only recharge up to 100% normally, but this adds sort of an initial "extra layer" of temporary protection, which can be useful in some situations.

Weapons.

This is a bit more complicated.

Weapons charging gives it a beneficial stat (Accuracy, Firepower, Range, Speed) boost in that attribute, and only in that attribute, in exchange for less in another one, such as a tradeoff.

This take some time to do, you can either choose to charge up a single weapon, or you can choose to charge up all weapons, which can be indicated by the weapons "recharging again". Fireing this volly is a one shot deal, you have to charge up again in order for the effect.

Such a way would be :

• Beams : More Firepower/Less Range.
  • Cannons : More Firepower/Less Speed.
  • Torpedos : More FirepowerRange/Less SpeedAccuracy.
  • Missiles : More FirepowerAccuracy/Less SpeedRange.

Again just examples, they would likely be more faction oriented.

This provides several benefits, such as making Core Weapons more useful, but more one shot and your dead in the water. This also helps the Kluth's first strike capabilitys, allowing more damage per volly.

-Ent

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-07 19:06   
Quote:

Shields

Barring the fact that pouring extra shield energy into an arc would probably produce an electric arc on your entire ship (fancy words for BOOM!) I'm against giving the ICC yet ANOTHER advantage to their shields when they're already so much better than armor...you have to get an ICC down to 0% hull to do damage on any arc to their hull, and a UGTO or luth to 75% armor...

Quote:

Weapons.

Ever played Halo? Used the Plasma Pistol? That's what I think of when I think charging, and it a bit different from your system...your system essentially takes longer to fire and no longer to reload, the Pistol takes longer to fire and longer to reload. Your system does more damage w/ less accuracy/range/speed, the pistol does more damage (a lot more) with the same speed, slightly more accuracy and the same range...to be honest I think that charging weapons is an unneccessary addition, and would require too much coding. However if it were ever implemented I'd prefer a plasma pistol like system, where you take much longer to fire and reload but do much more damage with no other effects...your system's logic is a little off, beams wouldn't lose range with more power, but gain it...cannons wouldn't lose speed, but require more to do the extra damage, torps kinda make sense, but how to you "charge" a canister of explosives? Same with missiles...if charing were ever implemented w/ respect to weapons I'd say it should only be on cannons and beams, and there it would cut reload time and take longer to charge up but to much more damage...however then we'd have 1000 nerf the luth posts and the luth would lose every ship above their extracter for balance so even there it's a problem...wow...did I just rant on for that long...I really need to go play something before I start posing 3 page long posts...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-07 19:23   
Quote:

On 2005-08-07 19:06, Binks(Give Midshipmen Sup/Engy) wrote:
Quote:

Shields

Barring the fact that pouring extra shield energy into an arc would probably produce an electric arc on your entire ship (fancy words for BOOM!) I'm against giving the ICC yet ANOTHER advantage to their shields when they're already so much better than armor...you have to get an ICC down to 0% hull to do damage on any arc to their hull, and a UGTO or luth to 75% armor...

I find current shields to be weak, regardless of rotating, and every ICC ship, at BEST will have one full layer of armor.

25% extra resistance? Doesn't faze me, just takes a few more vollys to kill.

Quote:

Quote:

Weapons.

Ever played Halo? Used the Plasma Pistol? That's what I think of when I think charging, and it a bit different from your system...your system essentially takes longer to fire and no longer to reload

Er..you misunderstood me, I mean that the weapon takes longer to reload (as in, reload time, the time it takes to be able to fire again), there is no delay in fireing the shot however, in any case.

Quote:

the Pistol takes longer to fire and longer to reload. Your system does more damage w/ less accuracy/range/speed, the pistol does more damage (a lot more) with the same speed, slightly more accuracy and the same range...

This is a pistol. In Halo2.

This is a ship. In Darkspace.

Um...where is the similarity? Their so far apart its staggering. As when many people try to compare games, I distincly say Darkspace is not Halo2.

Quote:

to be honest I think that charging weapons is an unneccessary addition, and would require too much coding.

I didn't realize you programmed DS!!111

Someone give this man a pie for helping program DS.

Quote:

However if it were ever implemented I'd prefer a plasma pistol like system, where you take much longer to fire and reload but do much more damage with no other effects...

I only put the tradeoffs as an example, a any pro without a con creates balencing problems. Hence why I put them in, but it doesn't matter to me, im just talking about the basic concept of charging your weapons for more damage.

Quote:

your system's logic is a little off, beams wouldn't lose range with more power, but gain it

To focus more power of a beam, you would have to sacrifice the extra range for a more focused beam, causeing tremendously more damage with less range.

Quote:

...cannons wouldn't lose speed, but require more to do the extra damage,

For a projectile, maybe, but as almost every cannon is energy based, it requires more energy, meaning its larger, and slower moving (such as high level cannons are now), which means it does a large part of damage, but very slow speed ( meaning, no nuking small ships)

The idea behind charging here is allow a tactical first strike, not to give an overpowered weapon.

Quote:

torps kinda make sense, but how to you "charge" a canister of explosives?

Torpdedos aren't a canister of explosives, they are an energy warhead held together magnetically to deliever damage, hence you can charge it larger to contain more firepower.

Quote:

Same with missiles...if charing were ever implemented w/ respect to weapons I'd say it should only be on cannons and beams, and there it would cut reload time and take longer to charge up but to much more damage...

Every weapon should have a charge, this is a game, not really reality, thus things can be stretched. Perhaps a larger missile containing more power beyond its limits?

Reload time should be longer after discharging the weapon (as in, it takes longer to fire another shot), charge up should be long as well, and of course with more damage.

Quote:

however then we'd have 1000 nerf the luth posts and the luth would lose every ship above their extracter for balance so even there it's a problem...wow...did I just rant on for that long...I really need to go play something before I start posing 3 page long posts...

Not really, this gives more prone to their first strike advantage, but after that, they can really only do it once with how their energy is.

-Ent

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-08-07 19:47   
Sheild hardeners 4tw.

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-08 17:03   
How about the ability to say focus more energy to the sheilds at the expense of other systems? For example, If I wanted faster weapon charge, I focus more energy to the weapons and lose some for the engines/shields/ect.

btw, If this sounds like a trek thingy well, thats where the idea came from.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-08 17:26   
Too hard to balance imo.

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-08 18:35   
Seen it in other games. Basicly a Triangle. 3 points, A Drives; B Shields(powered armor); C Weapons. As you move the center towards any 1 point is increases that part while decreasing the other 2. It worked good in those games, don't know how well it would work here. Curent codeing may not work and I would guess it would be a total rewrite of the code. Maybe in a future version.

I always liked the idea of power management made simple, thus the triangle.

Obiwan Kenobi
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-08 19:04   
what u guys are talking about kinda sounds like the engines, shields, and weapons setup on freespace and freespace2. in that game you have 3 meters one for each and by adjusting one you decrease the other 2. would be nice to see something like that but just how easy to create that into the game would be another matter...

Email Obiwan Kenobi
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-09 04:01   
the TIE fighter series, (TIE fighter, X-wing vs TIE, X-wing, X-wing alliance) have the best power management system.

thier system could Easilly be encorperated into ds.

this is how it works.

energy bar (already got that)
shield status (already got that)
engine speed (already got that)
weapon supply: now heres where it gets tricky. to make it plausable wed have to:
  • Make the "energy bar" and "weapon energy pool" two different bars
  • this essentially makes the energy bar engines/shield/EW and the Weapon pool for the obvious.
  • for the micro manage parts, power can be shunted from main NRG pool to Weap pool, or vise versa.
  • charge for the NRG pool comes from Engines/Gens so flying slow to replenish NRG then speeding up to fight is a good tactic (as it is now)
  • im not quite sure where im going with this
  • because its late and im tired
  • anyone have a cookie?

gnight im falling asleep. im nto sure i made anysense or have a point at all... so, gnight.

Email Meko
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2005-08-09 06:51   
UGTO will love this as theirs choice is narrowed to Weapon Power or Speed

And i can imagine Evil K'Luth to grin also

Page created in 0.018089 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR