Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Please no Faustus!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Please no Faustus!
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-07 12:31   
I am hereby hoping that the last e-mail had a typo and the plan is not to remove resource differences. Where in the world is the strategy in that? If you remove the differences in resources three huge not fun things are gonna happen...

1. Extracters will only mine planets with starports, Inferno's are gonna be ignored completely...they'll become irrelevent to the game. In the same manner Gas Giants will become meerly things to dodge and nothing more. You will make mining the first AFK darkspace activity, as all people will have to do is orbit a planet w/ a starport, alt-tab and return every couple of minutes to hit u...

2. Engineers will no longer have ANY sense of strategy requirements at all. Right now when you're building say an ICC planet and you have 20 DM you have to ask yourself if a shielf gen or some really high-tech building is more important, with one resource this would be gone...instead engineering would become sit in orbit w/ mining beams building what-ever you want as soon as you have enough resources and not worrying about capping any other planets for resources, they're all convieniently on your planet!

3. Any hint of diversity in the player created maps will be shredded. It will be impossible to say make a huge battle to take one planet becase that planet's the only one w/ cryo-metals. Where's the fun in just capping flag planets and that's it. Why would people take the non-flags? Fun? Before it was for resources, but not there'd be no reason.

In summarry, making a single resource type would:

Make Inferno's and Gas Giants nothing more than scenary

Make non-flag planets not worthwhile to cap

Make it impossible to have player made maps with sparce or common resources

Make engineering require no skill

And Make Extracting an AFK job

I am hereby begging that you don't remove the different resources, change them instead. Make Hvy. and basic metals the same, hydro and oxygen, and maybe another one but please Faustus and other Devs, leave the resource diversity intact.

If I am wrong in the assumption that
Quote:
DS E-Mail I got
Simplified resource system which will remove the multiple resource types in-game and replace them with one single resource type.

Means they're taking out the resources and putting in a single resource, feel free to laugh at me. In fact I encourage it, laugh at Binks if that doesn't mean we're losing resources...Please leave resources intact, or at least slightly changed...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-07 12:52   
Actually we had the "one-type-resources" gameplay earlier, was changed again
So why are we getting it back?
It wasn't that bad after all, but there was a reason why it has been changed

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-07 13:01   
darkspace is starting to focus more and more on combat, which means balance(underlines previous word) is going to play a very important role....

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-07 13:31   
When new resources came out in 1.481, a lot of things started taking away the aspect of combat, which is what darkspace is all about. Simplifying the resources system back to how it was indended, not only reduces lag (because resources are updated live in the server, the more resources, the more time the CPU spends on updating them (and from what I hear the updating is LIVE aka realtime)).

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-07 13:37   
we got new resources in 481?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-07 13:46   

before 1.481.. it was all "Resources"..remember how we pulled ships out of gates?

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-07 14:03   
in 1.480 it was "credits" more money, more ships you could pull out of the spawn gate.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-07 14:15   
I remember it being called Resources...oh well, could be wrong.

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-08-07 14:31   
There are no flag planets in the MV. DS is supposed to be centered around the MV. Extractors are still important in newbie & whenever the MV is reset to build up the resource of a planet on initial build, and engineering strategy RARELY accounts for resources in the current version, except to wait for the resources to build up.

Yes, in newbie there will no longer be the issue of capping planets for certain resources, but like I said before, its an MV centered game, and with the flag planets being the keys now, combat will be more intense as an effort to win the round.

This was all debated & discussed over the last month or two, decision is made. He can't please everyone, so he is trying to please the majority like any good game developer would. Sorry you can't see things our way

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-08-07 15:33   
now all Faustus needs to do is get over here and teach me how to kill a Battle Station in an extractor!

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-08-07 15:39   
No, you need Josef to teach you that... lol

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-07 16:06   
Quote:

On 2005-08-07 15:39, Coeus wrote:
No, you need Josef to teach you that... lol

I've still got his guide on tractor scouting =D

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-07 17:13   
I have his video's someplace...

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-07 17:33   
Quote:

1. Extracters will only mine planets with starports, Inferno's are gonna be ignored completely...they'll become irrelevent to the game. In the same manner Gas Giants will become meerly things to dodge and nothing more. You will make mining the first AFK darkspace activity, as all people will have to do is orbit a planet w/ a starport, alt-tab and return every couple of minutes to hit u...

For one, Extractors really DO only mine planets with starports, less trops.
Infernos are already irrelavant, as they rarely, if ever, harbor useful resources.
Gas Giants are useful only in the manner of refueling your tach drive, again, nothing major.

And yes, mining already is an AFK activity.

Quote:

2. Engineers will no longer have ANY sense of strategy requirements at all. Right now when you're building say an ICC planet and you have 20 DM you have to ask yourself if a shielf gen or some really high-tech building is more important, with one resource this would be gone...instead engineering would become sit in orbit w/ mining beams building what-ever you want as soon as you have enough resources and not worrying about capping any other planets for resources, they're all convieniently on your planet!

A good suggestion to make planets worth their while is that some planets (flag planets) could have higher concentractions of resources, which means it gives more out, making it more ideal for Shipyards.

In addition, making things, especially ships, cost quite a bit of resources so that getting said resources is always neccessary.

Quote:

3. Any hint of diversity in the player created maps will be shredded. It will be impossible to say make a huge battle to take one planet becase that planet's the only one w/ cryo-metals. Where's the fun in just capping flag planets and that's it. Why would people take the non-flags? Fun? Before it was for resources, but not there'd be no reason.

*points above* Oh and even now, resources hold no significance in terms of capping planets. Right now in the MV, its all about having fun capping. Usually after a week or so, the MV is set for life on all the materials it needs, so its virtually pointless.

A universal resource system, could be tweaked so that you NEED to cap better planets.

Quote:

In summarry, making a single resource type would:

Make Inferno's and Gas Giants nothing more than scenary

Make non-flag planets not worthwhile to cap

Make it impossible to have player made maps with sparce or common resources

Make engineering require no skill

And Make Extracting an AFK job

Point One : Infernos and Gas Giants are already useless. They do make nice scenery...

Point Two : This game is more focused towards the MV, not scenario servers. Hence, my suggestion above.

Point Three : Again, more MV centered gameplay.

Point Four : Engineering pretty much is that. After you know what to build, you just need to know how to build it, materials really don't come into play in the MV, except when its right after reset.

...*cheers for one resource type*

-Ent

|2eason
Grand Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-08-07 17:36   
Quote:

On 2005-08-07 13:31, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
When new resources came out in 1.481, a lot of things started taking away the aspect of combat, which is what darkspace is all about. Simplifying the resources system back to how it was indended, not only reduces lag (because resources are updated live in the server, the more resources, the more time the CPU spends on updating them (and from what I hear the updating is LIVE aka realtime)).

Excuse me, but you are dead wrong.

First off, I seem to recall this is a space strategy game, not "Quakespace". This game never was "all about combat". That is what made this game the best out there.

Second, what do you mean as it is intended? If it was intended all along it wouldn't have been changed in the first place.

I dont know where you have been getting your info, but you might want to verify things first before making such outlandish statements.

Aside from that, reducing features isn't the right solution to a netcode problem, IMO.

- |2eason the retired -

[-[A]-]|2eason the retired

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.035908 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR