No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Basic Scripting Discussion » » Need some help w/ Lua tables
 Author Need some help w/ Lua tables
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-02 13:07   
Okay, I'm relatively new to programming as a whole (done some games/utilities in C# and that's it) and I need help. Ever since I first discovered how to work the editor I've wondered how to script, and wanted to be able to access the Adv. script area to learn editor scripting.

Until a few days ago I kept putting off learning scripting because I really didn't want to spend the time learning a new programming language. However since I had some free time I decided to try. Mainly through trial and error I've learned a lot about Lua since then, and have built a program that can do what is required for the first 3 steps of the Lua excercises but then I get to the table and I have no clue how to get that to work at all. The manual is incredably vague when it comes to tables, and the code it tells you to use to make a table doesn't work. Can anyone tell me how to make a table? That's really all I think I'll need to know to complete the majority of the training things, other than 9 which will take some in-depth searching about recieving input I'm sure (C# seems much better in that regard...just a simple "int.parse (textboxname)"...). Thanks for any help!

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-02 17:28   
On a side note, the advanced scripting forum isn't a holy grail of scripting information; on the contrary, its mainly me complaining that I can't get simple things to work, and then occaisional threads that we move from the basic forum because people are posting scripts on how to do stupid things like make spheres of Gaifen around unsuspecting newbs (ok, haven't seen that one yet.. which would actually be kinda fun.. er.. Right.)

So don't think that you'll suddenly discover guides, examples, and instant knowledge of all that is lua, if/when you gain access to that forum.
Though feel free to add guides, examples, and such if you do ever get in..

As for your real question: uhh...
I don't know.

What was the question again?

Email Shigernafy
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-02 17:31   
Right.

Have you checked out the Lua Tutorials Wiki? It has a page on Tables, right at the top there.

Tables are basically just arrays, if you're used to them in other languages.. and I'd hope you are, since they're eminently handy; its hard to get by doing much without using one at some point. Or, it makes life easier to use them.

Email Shigernafy
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-02 18:58   
Thanks shig...actually I've never used tables before in my limited programming experiance...that wiki helped a lot.