Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » fix for the big delay when first selecting a ship
 Author fix for the big delay when first selecting a ship
Mad Bum
Grand Admiral
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2005-08-02 07:03   
I have a p4 system but only had 256mb ram when you first go into the game and initially select a ship there is usually a delay of up to 5 secs

i just fitted another 512mb and the delay disappeared hope this is helpful to the devs

-Smokey-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-02 13:32   
i get about a 40 sec dalay

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-02 13:54   
I think its loading/recieving stuff.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-02 15:04   
loading stuff into the ram?

like every ship skin into ram?...or something? .....eek

Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-02 15:44   
I have 750 megs of RAM.. it did nothing to speed up the loading of the ships screen and it took about half a minute to fully load. So, I don't think this will work with everyone. BTW: I have a P4 system myself.

Email Shippo
Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-08-02 22:05   
athlon 2900+ with 512mb ddr ram long delay here too

Diomed
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-02 22:39   
I don't have any delay at all. How old are your systems? I know a few years ago (when I actually paid to play this game) I used to take forever to load into a game. I installed new BIOS drivers, and then loading was a snap.

TheBumble
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-03 01:43   
i have to say, it depends on the OS too

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-03 04:31   
I think its loading all the textures and images of ships and gadgetry. So if you have a faster hard drive and more ram, in theory it can do this with a minimum of virtual ram and thus be faster.

But this is only theory..

Email Shigernafy
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-08-03 05:33   
I think there are many things that deal with load times... they are, but not really in any order of importance, the following.

#1 - Connection Speed - As we all know this game has to transfer data in both directions to have the game work properly. Those with Broadband connections like Cable or DSL and the likes will have a shorter load time and, typically, less lag than those with dial-up. This the primary connection between yourself and the server.

#2 - Processer - We all know that, in theory, the faster the clock speed the better your transfer of data throughout your computer and the faster it goes in and out of your computer.

#3 - Memory - The more the better is the rule of thumb. Though you might have a ton of memory if it is not up to snuff with your systems abilities you might as well have a old cranky PC. Remember the best way to get the most out of your memory it must have a clock speed equal or greater than your FSB (front side bus) speed.

#4 - FSB - Simply put, the higher the speed the more data transfered.

#5 - Hard Drives - This game uses your HD simple as that. If you have a low speed HD then you are lagging your own load times... Also see if your HD has a cache most have 1MB or 2MB caches but some do not... No cache equals slower load/save times.

#6 - Motherboards - Does your MoBo have the best FSB? If it doesn't you are draging everything down the tubes.

#7 - Video Cards - If you have a "Intergrated Graphics Chipset" you might as well buy yourself a Video Card. Even a PCI based card which is 5 years old will help you out. Why you ask? Two Words... "Shared Memory". It uses your system memory to run the graphics and can seriously cripple your gaming experiance. Getting a card not only frees up memory but makes things look better in the process. PCI, AGP, and PCI Express, in that order, are good, better, best.

#8 - Sound Cards - Works exactly the same as #7 above except it is a sound chip vice a video chip.

#9 - Drivers - Drivers, Drivers, Drivers. If you do not have up to date drivers on all your devices, Bios, Processer, Video, Audio, etc... then you are not getting the full potential out of your system. Updating them as soon as you can will help you in ways you cannot imagine.

and last but not least...

#10 - OS and General Maintnence - Keep your OS up to date and your HD defraged and cleaned up. Remember the more you pack onto it the slower your data transfer rate will become. Make sure there are no unwanted tasks running in the background which eat up valuable resources (read RAM) while playing Darkspace. Also run a Adware/Spyware removal tool. You would be suprised how much this will help you out in the long run. Lastly run a anti-virus program, for those little buggers can kill a computer quick. I remember the days of the Stoned Virus.... that was a nasty little bugger back in the day...

All these things can help inprove your gaming experiance, and remember this... IF you turn up all the bells and whistles of the game then your load times WILL increase... Moral? Do all you can not to overtask your system.

If you think this little advice is below your knowledge level, and find yourself insulted by it, I am sorry since it is written for the masses that might not be totally up to speed on how a to get the most out of thier systems.

Rocko Willis, Over and Out!

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Page created in 0.020817 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR