No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » idea for MV balance when one side has too many ships
 Author idea for MV balance when one side has too many ships
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:16   
hmm, an idea struck me about your needing some way of balancing the MV when one faction got too many players...

in one of Gideons history/fiction posts, i read that the K'luth beleive that stars were living creatures, and that they broadcast psionic energy.

to my knowledge stars already make a rather disconcerting sound...

so i was thinking, what if the stars WERE living creatures? we just didn't realise it?

would it then not be possible for them to get, say angry?

look at it like this - a solar system is a stars domain. essentially it is the shepard of its planets. if stars were sentient, id imagine theyd have some sort of society or religion based around this. so if you introduced a lot of foreign matter to a stars domain - in the way of ships - said star might get a little ticked, and decide to do something about it - in the way of solar flares, or maybe some sort of weapon that stars would have...

yes, its very VERY sci-fi, yes, some people will wonder why theyre being shot at by a star. but itd be an interesting twist to the DS "story".

im thinking that if a faction got say, 25% more ships then the second largest (although this number may be too high) then Stars would very rarely attack the largest ships the faction had on field (dreads/stations). since the star, i would assume, wasnt using sensors or eyes or anything, i dont think cloak would be able to stop it from targetting them.

another thought is the MIR, pirates and space creatures. the strongest faction would attract the attention of the MIR, second the pirates, and least strongest the space creatures for example. just a thought =)

newho, hope youre making progress =) good luck =P

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:19   
Change stars, to gaifen/mir, and its a good idea.

If Mir go after ICC and UGTO more because k'luth are lacking, then that'd be easier on them (although, because mir are dead set enemys against kluth, it might be easier to use Gaifen in this case). So basicly, chop the post in half, cut out the top bit =p.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-07-22 16:21 ]

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 14:29   
Something like

If ICC fleet = 1.25 * ((UGTO*Luth)/2)

ICC get attacked by Space creatures in large numbers

If UGTO fleet = 1.25 * ((ICC*Luth)/2)

UGTO get attacked by Pirates in large numbers

If Luth fleet = 1.25 * ((UGTO*ICC)/2)
Luth get attacked by MIR in large numbers

The solar flare idea would be cool, but would need a lot of reworking to be cool and make sense...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Trekkie_zero
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-25 02:06   
Yeah one comment on the star thing, did you ever bother to think about home systems, like lets say you have 5 ships in one system doing nothing lets say extractors, then all the sudden the star starts firing at them... Yeah Im sure that would be yeah interesting... Or how bout that engineering fleet we had in Williams 38 and Nicea in the old MV that would have been so funny if all the sudden all 5 stars in the system just started firing on us because we outnumbered the 1 kluth in the system...

Anyways the space monsters yeah that would be kinda cool would make sense pretty much in all systems but only in systems with ppl in them for like 10 mins, small amount of ppl small numbers of creatures spawn, medium amount of ppl medium amount of creatures and a few of the AI enemy of the faction spawns, like UGTO or ICC pirates, Mir for the Kluth, just like one small wave kinda like what we saw of the pirates, 1 destroyer 2 corvettes and 1 or 2 frigates and thats without the increase faction numbers just population in the system same faction. This would be funny however, but how are you suppossed to stop the star I mean if you blow it up there goes the system...

Though once the enemy starts coming in the creature spawns would fall back because theyd be freaking out about the combat and ramp up the AI faction especially the pirates because they want all the loot from the destroyed vessels, and theyll focus on the faction with the greater number of ships because more targets, and they most likely would already be engaged in combat most likely, so more likely to get loot from them. The mir would mostly appear in the kluth territories and in the territories surrounding the kluth territory, like lets say Eri and tripwik would have them, they would go after the faction with more probably because they have the more organics in the system.

So you probably if you went with this would go with the total system populace and then just have the AI focus on the ones with more for varied reasons theyd be more likely to hit the ones with more just because there are more of them... But it would be nice to see some AIs around just because there are ppl in the system for a while...

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-07-25 13:33   
Other games have already come out with a better way to compensate undermanned teams.

Take for instance PlanetSide by SOE

3 factions.. there also..

when there is an undermanned factions then they get more points for what they do.

when there is a faction that is overmanned then they get less points for doing what they do.

Now if this type of system where to be put into the MV
Id suggest that there be 3 things takken into consideration when doing the calculations

1, palyer prestige

2, Player number/ strength

3, value/ weight of ships feilded

take the avearage then greese the faction thats needing it.

-Charz

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-25 14:56   
Uhh charz, PS's system might work for an FPS (but really, it doesn't...I've played PS a ton and the tiny bonus you get from being undermanned is worthless...PS has no AI so a system by which the overmanned side is attacked by AI's wouldn't work there but would work perfectly in DS...