Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Planetary Battles and the way we perform them.
 Author Planetary Battles and the way we perform them.
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-20 22:47   
A suggestion in response to the imbalance between planet size and ship size, the vulnerability of planets, and possible downsizing of the MetaVerse.

Keep in mind, I still haven't experienced the current MetaVerse and it's myriad new buildings and stuff. This whole post may be irrelevent at present or obselete.

My idea involves the brilliant idea of GTW's involving planet surface ownership and capturing, where factions take over a planet by the selectable points on it's surface (heretofore referred to as zones, for the most part). If anyone has link to that a post, I would add be most appreciative if they posted it here.

This topic also involves the idea of being able to terraform a planet at certain points in it's technological development (an idea that I did not come up with, but I've lost the link the subject of it's origin. If it was your idea, I hope you don't mind me using it and you are free to post and take credit for it). Similarly, in that subject, a terraformed planet can be de-terraformed when bombed, with each individual bomb having a 0.5% chance to de-terraform it, with bomb's having cumulative percentages (again, not my idea). The state of a terraformed planet would be visible at glance by it's visual look- in no particular order, Glass, Barren, Inferno, Frozen, Terran, Gaia (Starting to sound like Master of Orion 2...), Swampy, etc. Each planet type would be easier to revert to than the one before it in an exponential fashion- the de-terraform percent being heavily multiplied with a delicate Gaia planet, but a Barren planet would be far less likely to revert to absolute Inferno. If reverted to Inferno, a planet would have to wait a while (Five minutes? I'm not making any shots on this one..) until it cooled to Glassed, at which point it could be built on again with the future of being upgraded to Barren and so on.

The idea here is that planet's are made larger, but not to a realisticly monstrous degree. Flying around the circumference of a Large planet would take about a minute or so. The increase in planet size could be accompanied by an increase in the amount of stuff you can build on it, if deemed necessary. An invading fleet would be able to, rather than simply taking over a planet by bombing the hell out of it and risking damage to the planet itself (You wouldn't want to risk de-terraforming a valuable Gaia planet would you?), land troops on a clear part of the planet, and build an invasion base. The planet would become the equivelent of today's cluster battles, with ships fighting all over the space around it while trying to secure important areas on the surface (say, the planet's surface could have more defensible zones or more resources on certain zones). The fight for a single planet would become far more dramatic, placing more worth on individual worlds and making the MetaVerse feel larger than it is. A single planet war should take as long to complete as one of today's average cluster battles, as previously mentioned. Of course, you could still just rush in and bomb the stuffing out of a planet, but then you'd lose a lot of real estate value that would be awfully time consuming to restore.
=====================================================
New structures could be introduced for this:
SURFACE BASES--------------------- (Yeah, I C&P'd these from an old, old post of mine.)
Zones=Surface Areas. Every single numerical value in this (i.e., 2 square radius, thirty seconds) is tentative. Don't flame if you disagree with those numbers. I just put them there as my estimates, they're easily changed if found flawed.

Stations, Command Dreadnoughts, Heavy Transports, and Engineers mounting a Combat Construction Drone Bay could deploy (from cargo) or build (with the CCDB) these new structures on friendly planets or on CAPTURED ENEMY TERRITORIES.

Infantry Garrison
The most basic structure, the IG will heal infantry and attack enemy infantry that approach a 2 square radius of it. Infantry fortified here gain additional defense and offensive capabilites. Can be deployed by any of the {aformentioned} ships. Requires 30 seconds to deploy. Takes up one cargospace, one surface area.

Deluxe IG
Same as the IG, but has a small infantry training area that will release one infantry unit every 4 minutes. Smallscale mining facilites will finance this (VERY slowly. You're better off bringing your resources to it)..
Takes up 2 cargo spaces, 2 surface area. can be deployed in 45 seconds. Can be deployed by all aformentioned ships.

Compound
Occupies a 4-Square surface area, 4 cargo spaces. Operates as a normal barracks, is self-financed. Infantry garrisoned in any of its 4 corners gain 1.5x the benefits of an IG. The Compound will slowly repair itself after 1 minute of no combat. Requires 2 full minutes to deploy. Can be deployed by all aformentioned ships.

Deluxe Compound
Same as Compound, but has a self-sustained defense beam. Can take more damage than the compound. Can only be deployed by Command Dreadnoughts, Stations, CCDB.

Fortress
Requires 6 cargo spaces, 9 surface zones. Fortified infantry gain 2x the benefits of the IG. Has a self-financed barracks and self-sustained Defense beam. Has a self-sustained shield, capable of reflecting small orbital bombardment and non-sustained attacks by artillery. Is capable of producing Vehicles, such as artillery, tanks, APC's, and walkers (or whatever ground vehicles we get to play with). Can only be deployed by Command Dreadnoughts, Stations, built by CCDB.

Turret
Self-sustained structure that can attack infantry 2 zones away. 1 Cargo slot, one surface area, deployed by all.

Deluxe Turret
Same as turret, better armored, is capable of attacking vehicles and actually doing significant damage. 1 Cargo slot, 1 surface area, deployed by all.
=====================================================
Now, all of these suggested structures came out of my head more than a year ago. I'm in a hurry and can't guarentee the goodness of them now.

Also, another old suggestion I'd like to dig up: Refugees.

If a planet is being bombed or is doomed to capture, I think you should be able to evacuate it's citizens to lower it's functionality to the enemy. Refugees who are safely returned and are trained as troops could recieve extra fighting capability due to their new fanaticism, and could be doubly effective when deployed on their former home planet. Of course, that'd take a lot of specialized information for a mere infantry and may not be worth it.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar {C?} on 2005-07-21 12:38 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-20 23:41   
I love this idea....

Longer planet battles combined with C&C style? *thumbs up&

-Ent

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 02:17   
Im going to have to agree. This is gold!

Lini
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 07:38   
Like the idea, hope it's implemented.

WinterRose
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-22 10:41   
Ooh. Nice idea. But a addition..

Perhaps some type of building that'll disrupt a planet's defenses? You're sitting there trying to build the planet C&C style and you're gonna get taken out with the boosted defenses. Maybe once a command ship or such begins the infantry battle for a planet, it becomes unbombable too?

Sadly, I think implemention of such a plan might just be darn hard as heck to code in. Add to the fact the added lag it may do if planets right now lag things out just for having a bunch of things in a starport.

[ This Message was edited by: WinterRose on 2005-07-22 10:51 ]

Email WinterRose
Captain Sternn
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-01 16:36   
=REALITY CHECK=

ok granted i like the concept of the idea and in all honesty I'm not trying to detract from it.

But what you are proposing is an entirely different style of game...this is more suited to DS2 ...the ground based game.

I would think that if the last patch made anything clear...lets fix what we have before adding a ton of content.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-01 16:43   
Where's your sense of adventure?

Email Shigernafy
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-01 17:34   
While I agree this is a great bunch of ideas...it's also completely unreasonable...although some ideas are possible the majority are definatly not...now then, some reasonable ideas you had were...

Quote:

Terraforming

While incredably complex in what you propose, I've always been in favor of some kind of terraforming system. In my opinion it should be simpler though, with each planet being able to advance once or de-advance once. Basicly it would be your system (bombing can de-terraform, tech and some buildings help to terraform...could even add a new counter near research "Terraforming" that when it reaches a certain number terraforms the planet)

The possible terraformings would be

Inferno < - > Volcanic (Random chance (low) to become volcanic when inferno, volcanic act as hard to use barrens (barrens which are more likely to revolt/lose moral/smuggle etc.) but often carry rare resources. Highest possibility of de-terraforming at which point all buildings on the planet surface and all units are destroyed.)

Barren < - > Ice (Lowest of the controlled terraforming possibilities (easy to terraform) and easiest to de-terraform. Can only occur when the planet is greater than X gu's from star (variable depending on star). Easy to de-terraform)

Barren < - > Arid (Same as ice, but occurs when less than x gu from star)

Arid < - > Terrran (Hardest to terraform and hard to de-terraform, occurs when less than x gu from star)

Ice < - > (same as arid but when greater than x gu from star).

No planet can de or terraform more than once (can terra, de, terra de etc. but never de, de or terra, terra)

The zones idea is unreasonable for DS, think of the lag we already have and multiply that by the biggest number you can think of...then multiply it again...that's the lag we'd have it each and every planet had more than 1 zone. I like the idea, but it's unreasonable...

Quote:

Infantry Garrison

I suggested something like this for friendly planets only not too long ago, bunkers rather than garrisons but had similar effects...only difference was mine protected inf from bombs...I still say it's a good idea...

Quote:

Turret

Again, had an idea like this for friendly planets not too long ago...I still think it's a great idea...

Quote:

Refugees

I love this idea...no idea how the game would decide the planet was doomed but moving pop from a doomed planet to another would not only hurt the enemy, but discourage pausers and scrappers...nice idea...

Overall some great ideas I'd LOVE to see in game...but will probably never happen...