No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Solution: Prestiege & Dieing counter-balance
 Author Solution: Prestiege & Dieing counter-balance
sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 21:23   
As was suggested during the dev meeting faustus wanted to remove the "Resources Lost" factor in our profiles. I really dont think this is a good idea because nobody will care to run when they are about to die. Remember why it was implemented in the first place:

18:25:20 [Admin]Faustus: "@avetoarian... basically, resourcers lost came about to prevent people from wasting the ships... "
18:25:39 [Admin]Faustus: "prior to that, we had problems with people suiciding ships into each other, etc..."

Maby a solution to the current prestiege loss isnt so difficult after all.

What would happen if we all gained small amounts of prestiege for taking damage? Maby this could balance out the severe punishment of dieing in battle while encouraging people to stay alive as best they can. This would lead to more battles, while still longer than before. It would also encourage fighting among those who know they have no chance, for example if nobody else is available to help defend a system.

I think it would be better if we tried a few things BEFORE removing "Resources Lost" prematurely.

[ This Message was edited by: SentryIII {RAID} on 2005-07-20 21:34 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-20 23:35   
Quote:

What would happen if we all gained small amounts of prestiege for taking damage?

Because, people could just go sit in front of an enemy planet and take damage while a supply sits there and sups them. BAD idea.

Quote:

Maby this could balance out the severe punishment of dieing in battle while encouraging people to stay alive as best they can.

The amount of prestige gained would have to exceed the amount you lose, again this makes no sense, because then people still wouldent care. "Oh well, ill just have the same prestige as before!"

Quote:

This would lead to more battles, while still longer than before.

Does it occur that long battles just take out the fun of it?

Quote:

It would also encourage fighting among those who know they have no chance, for example if nobody else is available to help defend a system.

Encourage boredom, yes. Also, when a 20 ship fleet comes along for a system, and one person stands in the way, you kinda...dont want to be.

Quote:

I think it would be better if we tried a few things BEFORE removing "Resources Lost" prematurely.

I myself would be happy if it was removed...

-Ent

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 02:07   
On 2005-07-20 23:35, Enterprise wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

What would happen if we all gained small amounts of prestiege for taking damage?

Because, people could just go sit in front of an enemy planet and take damage while a supply sits there and sups them. BAD idea.

You have a good point here although with the current changes and possibly future changes a supply wouldnt be able to keep the ship alive very long.

Quote:

Quote:

Maby this could balance out the severe punishment of dieing in battle while encouraging people to stay alive as best they can.

The amount of prestige gained would have to exceed the amount you lose, again this makes no sense, because then people still wouldent care. "Oh well, ill just have the same prestige as before!"

It doesnt have to exceed the amount you lose. The point is to not make it so harsh of a loss. This isnt meant to be an uber way to gain prestiege, only to balance out the loss if you happend to die and a bonus if you dont.

Quote:

Quote:

This would lead to more battles, while still longer than before.

Does it occur that long battles just take out the fun of it?

Im sorry you feel this way, perhaps Eve is more your style?

Quote:

Quote:

It would also encourage fighting among those who know they have no chance, for example if nobody else is available to help defend a system.

Encourage boredom, yes. Also, when a 20 ship fleet comes along for a system, and one person stands in the way, you kinda...dont want to be.

Seen a 20 ship fleet lately? Obviouslly if your going to die then its not worth trying because you lose the pres you would have gained from taking damage anyways. Fine, so fallback and regroup...

Quote:

Quote:

I myself would be happy if it was removed...

-Ent

You would huh?

Anyways, thanks for the response!

Random*
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 02:24   
Hmm, wow Ent, you whole post was somewhat moronish, Sentry was trying to find was to balance things out. I for one a back him in his statements because balancing the game out to help people preform better in game is always a worthy cause.

Good Day

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 02:55   
Quote:

On 2005-07-21 02:24, Random* wrote:
Hmm, wow Ent, you whole post was somewhat moronish, Sentry was trying to find was to balance things out. I for one a back him in his statements because balancing the game out to help people preform better in game is always a worthy cause.

Good Day

Thanks Random, but there is no need to criticise anyone. His opinions as valid and well taken.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-21 06:18   
Quote:

On 2005-07-21 02:07, SentryIII {RAID} wrote:

It doesnt have to exceed the amount you lose. The point is to not make it so harsh of a loss. This isnt meant to be an uber way to gain prestiege, only to balance out the loss if you happend to die and a bonus if you dont.

Reading through, I thought I think this said the whole point, and explain the intention alot clearer...

If you don't want it to be so harsh...then reduce the loss incurred. Simply, reduce the amount you lose.

Essentially enough, the bonus for not dieing is keeping your ship, but if do, you incur a very small loss...

And also, Random...I am hard on suggestions posts, even if im not a Dev. If something doesn't sound good...well, Im hard about it, they are indeed only my views and opinions...

-Ent

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 14:33   
I feel that the resources lost was a great idea, and worked perfectly when implemented, there was a disadvantage to dying, you lost your mods and some pres, but not enough to really hurt you if you managed to take an enemy with you. The whole death pres thing was perfect...then the amount of pres loss was multiplied by 10...right now, if you go into a battle and kill say 2 enemy cruisers in a dread, then die, you end up w/ less pres than before...not fun...