No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » SuperFreeza's Versionly Lag Post
 Author SuperFreeza's Versionly Lag Post
Nobody321
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-12 19:54   
Well I have already posted thoroughly about the problem in the past, with each new free trial/new version, so I am making this one short. The lag and ONLY the lag is deterring a large amount of potential customers, its not lack of content/features (although of course some basic features (which aren't being discussed, so even in that category, priorities aren't right) could help, but they would be still useless with the current lag situation). I had a lot of hope for 1.483, I had been reading several of the development logs/chats over the last several months, hoping this would be the big update that finally solves the lag problem that has been around ever since the big bad 1.480 patch (i think that was the one), that made DarkSpace unplayable. Unfortunetly, this STILL wasn't the one. There is still just as much lag if not MORE then before.

You can put all the content, features, and more "stuff" in the game you want...but if you can't even use all that "stuff" it doesn't do a thing to improve the game or get more customers/players.

No offense, but with the latest patch it is clear that PaleStar can't focus on more than one major problem at a time when developing these patches, if they are to be successful in the areas they are working on (yes I know, due to their limited resources).

If DarkSpace wishes to succeed then patch 1.484 should be:
ZERO new "things"(content)
ZERO new features
ZERO balancing changes
ZERO design changes
ZERO sound/graphic updates
ZERO anything else besides...
100% focus on optimizing both the server & client code to fix the *LAG*.

Well cya guys in the next free trial/version (hopefully the lag is fixed then).

It shows how bad of a state DarkSpace is in when it is offered free for an amount of time, and there is problems so great(in this case, a single problem), that despite it being totally free, people choose not to play for the rest of the trial. Often people complain about major problems in games they are playing for free, but the game is still fun enough in its state for them to continue playing...which is sadly not the case with DarkSpace for the majority.

Anyway, good luck.

SuperFreeza

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-12 20:02   
I agree completely, but instead of writing a big old explanation, I'm just going to say: I don't think it'll happen.

-Dem

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-12 20:13   
Plus Faustus has already baught a server thats pretty much 10x better than the current ones.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-12 20:17   
Quote:

On 2005-07-12 20:13, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Plus Faustus has already baught a server thats pretty much 10x better than the current ones.

133mhz instead of the 486? =D

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-12 20:19   
Quad Xeon server.

Better than the ones that they have now.

Also, Faustus has the profiler running, so he can see whats causing problems where, when, how, and fix them. Give him a few days, we'll see the lag disapear.

Dauphin
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-12 20:21   
I think the game has improved dramatically because of this patch and I have a great deal of fun, especially on the MV.

The game is so fantastic, I can tolerate any amount of lag.

[ This Message was edited by: Dauphin on 2005-07-12 20:22 ]

Email Dauphin
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-13 02:31   
Quote:

On 2005-07-12 20:21, Dauphin wrote:
I think the game has improved dramatically because of this patch and I have a great deal of fun, especially on the MV.

The game is so fantastic, I can tolerate any amount of lag.

[ This Message was edited by: Dauphin on 2005-07-12 20:22 ]

No, it hasnt "improved dramatically".

Right now it became the ugly little Brother of Eve. I wont pay for JATS, thats for sure.

Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-13 02:35   
Plus, us volunteer dev's don't do network coding, so we amuse ourselves between patches by adding content. It does tend to add more work here and there for Faustus, to provide various code changes to accomodate some of our additions, but in general, Faustus focuses more on the networking side of things while Tael and I (to a more limited extent than Tael) add content.

Theoretically it balances out. In practice it hasn't yet.. but theory is always good in theory.

Email Mithrandir
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-13 08:41   
...Hypothetically speaking.

-Dem

|2eason
Grand Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-07-13 09:14   
Quote:

On 2005-07-13 02:35, Mithrandir wrote:
Plus, us volunteer dev's don't do network coding, so we amuse ourselves between patches by adding content. It does tend to add more work here and there for Faustus, to provide various code changes to accomodate some of our additions, but in general, Faustus focuses more on the networking side of things while Tael and I (to a more limited extent than Tael) add content.

Theoretically it balances out. In practice it hasn't yet.. but theory is always good in theory.

Stop the lies!!!

The only thing you have ever "developed" is a sandwich!!!

- |2eason the retired -

[-[A]-]|2eason the retired

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-13 09:31   
He cant even do that right

Huffywuffy, Mr. Builder
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2005-07-13 09:52   
There is one reason I don't want to pay for DarkSpace: every time a big battle in the MV starts (a battle with my participation), I start to fly circles.
Pressing alt+p shows me a latency of approximately 32000 ms.

Do you hear me? My commands are executed 30 seconds after my input. Every ship I can see on the viewscreen was at this position 30 seconds ago.
How should I be able to fight, if my targets are way out of range when I try to fire?

I don't want new "great" features, I just want to play this game. I want to play it with a latency well under 32000. I want to play with as few lag as possible. I don't want to fly circles all the time.

Thanks.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2005-07-13 12:19   
And you will be soon...

Goto the website of Faustus
Nobody321
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-13 18:36   
Jackpot! That must have been the secret...keep the post reasonably short and you get a direct response from Faustus and PaleStar, lol.

Well I am glad to hear it will be fixed soon, I for one will keep an eye out. But if it doesn't happen within this trial period, I hope when it does happen...you make just a short 3-day trial/coupon or something for people to come try it out lag-free.

SuperFreeza

Page created in 0.027697 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR