No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Loved the interview
 Author Loved the interview
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-08 16:48   
Loved the interview with Gamecloud Faustus....classic....

Quote:

Gamecloud - Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Darkspace and your plans for the future?

Richard Lyle - Live long and prosper...

Edit: Typo

[ This Message was edited by: kenetiks on 2005-07-08 16:48 ]

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Thorium
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-08 17:18   
link please

edit...
nm found....

Even as other massively multiplayer games shut down or never get developed, one space based MMO title has been operating for several years now. Developed and supported by Palestar, Darkspace is now preparing for a large update and Gamecloud got a chance to chat with Palestar founder Richard Lyle about their current and future plans for the game.

Gamecloud - First, for people who may not be aware of Darkspace, can you briefly describe what the game is about?

Richard Lyle - DarkSpace is a massively multiplayer tactical starship combat game, with lots of strategy elements as well.

Gamecloud - It's been some time since Darkspace launched. Are you pleased with the way the game has evolved and been received by players?

Richard Lyle - Yes, I have been pleased. We are a small company, and with a very small budget made the game I always wanted to play. Although, it hasn't been a stellar commercial success, I'm very proud of the game and especially the community that has assembled in support of keeping the game going.

Gamecloud - What has been the most surprising thing you have learned about Darkspace since its launch?

Richard Lyle - The community support was the biggest surprise. I have some truly dedicated players, who have spent a great deal of their own time and efforts to continue to help the game. I think when I started the game back in 1999, I didn't realize how important a good community was for a game... now I do.

Gamecloud - There are a number of space based persistant online games out there. What do you think Darkspace brings to the table that the others do not?

Richard Lyle - We have a very awesome community of players, most likely the friendliest group of people you will ever meet online. Game play wise, nobody else does tactical star ship combat as well, we tried to keep the game fun, and not a leveling tread-mill.

Gamecloud - A new update for the game is under development. What can you tell us about this upcoming patch and when wil it be released?

Richard Lyle - Firstly, we added 2 new factions of ships, which will initially be AI controlled only... so now all 3 player controlled factions will have a common enemy in the universe for the first time. In Addition, we COMPLETELY re-balanced the game, this included every ship layout, every device, weapon, and unit was evaluated and brought back into balance with everything else in the game.

Richard Lyle - Lastly, we have a ton of new fixes and optimizations, including a graphics optimization that increased our frame-rate dramatically.

Gamecloud - Beyond the next update what other improvements and additions do you plan to make for Darkspace in the future?

Richard Lyle - Space platforms will be in the next version for certain... which will allow players to build space-based structures for supply and defense. Additionally, I'm working on some major engine improvements and porting the game and server backend over to some other platforms.

Gamecloud - You are currently working at Ritual Entertainment full time. How do you split your time between your work at Ritual and on Darkspace?

Richard Lyle - It's not easy ... I work on DarkSpace when I can, which is usually the evenings and the weekends, and rely a great deal on the contributions made by some of the other developers who help out with DarkSpace, without them I wouldn't be able to make nearly as much progress.

Gamecloud - Are there any plans for a full fledged sequel to Darkspace at some point?

Richard Lyle - Yes... that's what these "Engine Improvements" are all about

Gamecloud - The massively multiplayer genre continues to grow. Do you think that the market will be able to handle all of these current and upcoming games?

Richard Lyle - Well, for larger game makers the market has become harder for them to make any money, and I think you'll see fewer PC MMO games, they will all shift over to console games where mediocrity can make money.

However, for smaller developers, because our budgets and costs are so low, we can survive and thrive with much fewer subscribers than the big boys. We may continue to see lots of small MMO's like DarkSpace...

Only time will tell...

Gamecloud - Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Darkspace and your plans for the future?

Richard Lyle - Live long and prosper...

[ This Message was edited by: Thorium on 2005-07-08 17:25 ]

Maskerade
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-08 17:20   
http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=463

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-08 17:25   
lmao

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-07-08 17:37   
Faust you geek Great ending

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Page created in 0.010843 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR