Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Shipyards
 Author Shipyards
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-06-20 11:48   
During a rather lengthy discussion with Backslash sometime within the last 24 hours, the subject of shipyards inevitably crept up.

Backy mentioned something about shipyards being limited to certain planets, IE that only Terran planets could sustain them, and the number of Terran's would be reduced somewhat drastically.

It was at this point that something smacked me in the face and stung like mad.. some call it a brainwave, I call it agony, anyways, he said I should post it here.

A lot of games have certain "Capture Objectives"

Anything from your basic Capture the Flag to holding certain physical objectives. So, why not give Darkspace a little taste of that?

The system as I understand it is already in place, when your faction controls a certain proportion of a system, it changes its ownership to the faction which holds most of its capturable territory.

So, say for instance we take that one step further.

Every system has a Terran planet, with a shipyard, not player built, but comes as standard. Its always there regardless.

This becomes a focal point for control and advancement (It also opens up for definite "Win" conditions in the MV, but ill get into that further down the line) for any assault/invasion.

So, how does the system work? Simple.

Anyone can capture the Shipyard planet at anytime, BUT the facility can ONLY be used when the system is under your factions control, say for example you hold 51% or more of the planets in system.

Rather than ownership just changing your map from a dark red to a brighter green, it starts to serve a purpose.

"Hurray! The systems green we have a frontline shipyard!"

It gives added incentive to push the attack forward, or you could face a nice long jump between gateless systems after dying.

Back to win conditions.

Currently there is no set system in the Metaverse that can automatically say "So and So has won, the rest of you suck for letting them beat you".

Wahey! Control Objectives make it finally possible to set undisputable claims to victory.

Once you control the shipyard in every system, your faction wins, you have gained domination of the universe and its officially supported by set parameters within the game.

The MV could then automatically reset itself and the fight could begin again, maybe even some sort of reward to the winning players could be coded in?

I also believe this sort of system could put an end to the permanent harassment of a single faction as happens currently.

Sure the Kluth for example could try keep the UGTO extinct, but while they are doing that, the ICC are moving in and reclaiming shipyards from underneath them, thus preventing Kluth from domination and victory.

Right.. That folks is the end of my ramble, as always, thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bansh.

*EDIT* - Typo's

[ This Message was edited by: Banshee on 2005-06-20 13:29 ]

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-20 11:57   
I really love the sound of this. As of now there really isn't any objectives in game. All I can see right now is-

"Hey look a ship *BLAM BLAM!*"

With this idea, it would credate much more strategy in how to approach a system. It would also make for interesting defenses. Great idea Banshee.

The only question I have is if the faction who has control has to maintain the research levels like always, or if that is kind of being thrown out.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-06-20 13:09   
hmm interesting...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-20 13:31   
beats my idea of terran only planets being able to hold SY's and only a few of them in the MV...

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-06-20 13:35   
I suppose it would depend really on how the research system works, maybe the planets should be built to spec and be permanently saved in that status, completely uneditable by players.

Then you could also factor in things such as system size and planet count/composition.

For example, a System with only 20 planets would have a lower tech shipyard planet than say a system with 40 planets. But then again a system with 40 planets of which 25 are barren would be of significantly lower quality than a mirrior system with Arid/Ice/Water Planets.

The sheer amount of variables and additions that could be catered for with a system like this add, as you said Switch, a very interesting twist on things.

Hence why id love something like this to become a group effect and atleast recieve some minor consideration in the grand scheme of things.

Would IMHO add a whole new depth to DS, strategy would not only be very important in Fleet composition, but also in planning and execution of attacks.

You'd still have scenarios for example for fast and furious action, but Metaverse would take on a state of persistance that I dont think it has ever seen before.

Just imagine every action making a siginificant impact on your chances of success, a depth of gameplay I would do anything to see in DS.

Done rambling again =)

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-20 13:43   
So... one faction could win the MV overnight, eh?

Email Bobamelius
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-20 14:00   
This is beta, not release bob

Planets murder you if you step foot into their firing range alone

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-20 15:18   
Quote:

Planets murder you if you step foot into their firing range alone

I can vouch for that. me in my PD k'luth cruiser vs earth & Luna

.....owie x.x

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-20 16:25   
What about player shipyards? Could you just capture 51% of each system + the SY planet, but ignore two other shipyards in each system - and win the MV? Other factions still have 20 places to spawn, but you technically own all the Static Shipyards, plus 51% of the planets. That doesn't sound like a sufficient win condition to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea in theory.. just being devil's advocate.

And I don't think making it uneditable would work.. since then you have two options:
Take it over with troops.
Bomb it and take it over - but then you have a potentially neutered planet that you can't edit.

Unless you did something silly with scripts and had it rebuild automatically over 30 minutes or something. (hmm..)
This means that you could be lazy with it, though, and it would rebuild itself - which seems odd for such an important planet: if its so key to your success, you'd think it would require at least some attention.

On the other hand, editable means you could sabotage it.. making MV domination that much more attainable.

Anyway.. there's some rambling from me..

Email Shigernafy
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-20 22:09   
Could make slots appear on planets in systems where you own 51%+ of the system.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-21 00:37   
idea sounds interesting, but i fear to late to make THIS patch as we are winding it down. mayhaps the next. my brain is fried from dealing with 2 different sites where the windows server died at one and a novell server crashed at another at the same time... just getting home so will read over it in the morning...

Email Tael
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-06-21 00:42   
Someone had to Shig =)

It is a pretty basic and undetailed suggestion as to the nitty gritty of how it works, but then thats expected as I dont know really the extent of what scripts are capable of or the game's engine.

Likie Tael being too tired.. ive only just got up and im not much for thinking at twenty to seven in the morning.. so Ill look again later when ive had a think about it =)

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-21 01:49   
Bar none this is the best shipyard idea yet.

this is the kinda thing that would really 'stir up the pot' and make the game new and fun to vets.

Email Meko
Beast
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-21 03:45   
I still say limiting the Number of SY to each Faction is the Best way togo.

say 3 shoot even 1 make these people actually travel through space and shorten the WH distance. It promotes team play anyhoot which went out the window when SY and WH got put into the Game.

Email Beast
Page created in 0.027101 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR