No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Defense Platforms
 Author Defense Platforms
FAdm. Tim Webbers *S1*
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-06-20 11:07   
One thing I'm surprised I haven't seen in DS are defense platforms. It seems like all the factions in DS would have some type of defense platforms along with planetary defenses.

So, here goes my idea.

Defense platforms can be built by factories, but at insane time requirements and resource requirements. After all, these are going to be like mini stations. I'm going with upwards of 20 minutes to complete one defense platform construction, and I'm not even sure aboout the resources. I know this sounds like a lot, but you have to make it something you want.

So, once you've gotten it built and purchased it from the star port (I'm going to say around 75 k creds) you have to be an engineering ship to set it up. The setup will take approximately 10 minutes (which would prevent them from being spammed into the middle of a battle zone). The engineering ship comes to a full stop, ejects the platform, and is automatically moved away while the engie builds the platform. This does not count for construction prestiege. If you abandon the platform before construction is complete, it will be retrieved and placed back into cargo.

Once set up, the owning player can decide what to place on it.

UGTO DEFAULT:

2 pulse beam
2 CL 2ks
2 P torp launchers
2 particle cannons
1 EMP canon
1 (Oh geez, I can't believe I'm going to say this) Flux
1 Reactor 1000
1 B27 Fighter

(I'm trying to equip a special weapon from each side to each Dplat)

ICC Default:

1 pulse beam
2 CL 1ks
2 Fusion Torp launchers
2 Railguns
1 EMP cannon
1 Pulse shield (Pesky fighters and such)
1 Reactor 1000
1 M64 Fighter

K'Luth Default:

2 disruptors
1 ELF beam
2 fusion torp launchers
4 PSI cannons
1 cloaking device (Man, this'll be annoying)

UGTO advantages and disadvantages -

They have an advantage with the default CL2ks and the flux. The lack of stronger torpedoes and cannon based weapons makes up for this.

ICC advantages and disadvantages -

They have default fusion torps and railguns, along with the pulse shield. The beam based weapons are weaker. In addition, the rail guns and torps will need constant reload. The ICC have the strongest fighter type.

Luth advantages and disadvantages -

The ability to make these things cloaked can be deadly. It will remain cloaked until an enemy ship (that registers above 0.0) comes inside its range. Then, it uncloaks and starts firing. Its only problem is it will run out of energy quickly unless it leeches from someone else. They do not have a fighter bay as well.
-------------------------------------

If you want to mod it, there is a "mod queue" on the platform. The system will automagically determine the system that was last modded and the system that was directly behind it in the queue. The one behind it will be the next one modded, should it receive a modable component. Basically, all you do is unload onto them the parts you want modded, and it will swap them out for the one that can be swapped, and it will send them back to the player unloaded them onto the station. If they get out of range, it is just ejected.

As for resupply. It is better to put defense platforms around planets. After all, inside the 250 GU mark, they will be auto reloaded by the planets, depot or no. You can still build them outside this marker, but they will require resupply from your frienly neighborhood supply ship. Platforms will send a supply distress when they reach 5 torpedos and/or 10 railgun shots remaining. Fighters are not counted.

Yes, Dplats can be destroyed. I'd say they have the hull of a dessie to cruiser. I'd go with a 4 arc armor/shield and default to heavy armor.

[ This Message was edited by: 2nd R. Adm Tim Webbers on 2005-06-20 11:09 ]

Yitram
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-20 11:33   
I belive that there used to be some sort of defense or supply platform in the game, although those were before my time. They are supposed to be coming back at some point, but not in the next release.

Email Yitram
philll
Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-20 12:13   
sounds good but maybe make them a bit smaller

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-20 14:28   
why would the ugto plat have 2 pulse beams, but icc only have one?
and the kluth plat should have am torps, not fusion

[ This Message was edited by: FireMoth on 2005-06-20 14:29 ]

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-06-21 15:28   
Dark Space DID have platforms but they took them out as they were really buggy from what i have heard. Adn they were really used for planetary defence while in orbit and not the planetside defence bases they have now.

NOTE: this infomation may not be 100% ture as i have a bad memory and i was not here in DS back then. If a LONG time vet will clear this up i'd like that. Or a Mod or dev team meamber from that long lost time.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-21 19:35   
We're already getting platforms...

Email Bobamelius
Beast
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-21 21:53   
We was spose toget the New platforms 2 years ago.

/me looks at Teal

Email Beast
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-22 17:59   
We are already planning to get platforms sometime down the road.

Personally, I think the configurations are a bit poor. Heres my own nitpickings.

1: UGTO Platforms would use CL 300s as point defense. The UGTO do not get Pulse Beams, as Pulse beams are a ICC Technology, not UGTO Technology.

2: Fusion Torpedoes are a ICC-built technology, again. They would use Antimatter torps instead.

3: Remove Cloaking and Special weapons/equipment. The AI is simply not smart enough to use these properly.

4: They should have some form of missile weapon for long-range engagements.

5: The configurations seem to be more in tune with Release configs than Beta configs.

Goto the website of Novacat
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-23 07:51   
There have already been 3 defined platforms coming down the pipe...

1. Defense Platform

2. Sensor Platform

3. Repair Depot Platform

They were planned for 18 months ago but were moved to the next patch to get this one out the door.

We are also contemplating a fourt platform, Jump Gate. But thats still in the exploration stage and in no way a certainty.

Email Tael
FAdm. Tim Webbers *S1*
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-06-25 23:31   
Ah, k, I will be very interested to see that then. Thanks for the nitpicks

Page created in 0.026895 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR