No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » The battlefield2 demo.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author The battlefield2 demo.
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-17 03:33   
So decided to check it out and so far just going through the install I am not to impressed. Lets look at this, its a "Game"... Meaning its ment for people at home to use... Yet the install will not let you continue until you put something in the "company" field. Sure you can put garbage text, but the fact that many business applications seam to allow you to install without entering a "Company Name", it seams really dumb for a game company to require the field...

If they have over looked such a basic thing, i dread to see what else they missed...

Email Tael
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-17 04:26   
Quote:

On 2005-06-17 03:33, Tael wrote:
So decided to check it out and so far just going through the install I am not to impressed. Lets look at this, its a "Game"... Meaning its ment for people at home to use... Yet the install will not let you continue until you put something in the "company" field. Sure you can put garbage text, but the fact that many business applications seam to allow you to install without entering a "Company Name", it seams really dumb for a game company to require the field...

If they have over looked such a basic thing, i dread to see what else they missed...

I didn't have to put anything into the company field. I didn't have to fill anything out.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-17 04:59   
When I installed it on two different computers it brought up the "Registered to:" and "Company" dialog... The Next option is greyed out until you enter something in Company name...

I also did "Custom" installs because I do not install any games to my C: drive... All apps go on C:, all games on D:, and storage, work, and misc on E:... But then again I have a terrabyte of mirrored drive space in this system so its nice to break things up. And when I decide to wipe my system fresh, I dont risk loosing any saved games, log files, or personal/work data.

So its possible the default install works nicely, the Custom Install routine is still borked and yet again a sign of them not checking things. And so far not impressed, the BFV:POE mod is much better than this demo.

Email Tael
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-17 05:24   
Quote:

On 2005-06-17 04:59, Tael wrote:
When I installed it on two different computers it brought up the "Registered to:" and "Company" dialog... The Next option is greyed out until you enter something in Company name...

I also did "Custom" installs because I do not install any games to my C: drive... All apps go on C:, all games on D:, and storage, work, and misc on E:... But then again I have a terrabyte of mirrored drive space in this system so its nice to break things up. And when I decide to wipe my system fresh, I dont risk loosing any saved games, log files, or personal/work data.

So its possible the default install works nicely, the Custom Install routine is still borked and yet again a sign of them not checking things. And so far not impressed, the BFV:POE mod is much better than this demo.

lol. You don't need to doa custom install for that./ I change my install paths all the time, never had to do custom installs for any of that. I use a mounted drive for my games. C:Games
The drive is mounted to the folder games.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-17 05:59   
FYI: My comp BARELY meets minimum specs. The game just doesn't want to start up. Period. I don't know why either... it just goes to black screen for a sec, then puts me back on my desktop like nothing happened... I'm probably not gonna get BF2 and I'll just play Desert Combat for BF1942 for now..

Email Shippo
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-17 07:29   
Quote:

On 2005-06-17 05:59, Shippo wrote:
FYI: My comp BARELY meets minimum specs. The game just doesn't want to start up. Period. I don't know why either... it just goes to black screen for a sec, then puts me back on my desktop like nothing happened... I'm probably not gonna get BF2 and I'll just play Desert Combat for BF1942 for now..

I might know your problem.
Post your DXDiag.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Placebo
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-17 09:07   
Lordshard, you died twice?!...that's horrible...

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-17 10:07   
Quote:
Max effective range for a 9mm or 45mm pistol is 25m, though optimal is 15m.

45 mm pistol eh. An expert you say?

45 millimeters is pretty big for a pistol, that's just a hair under 2 inches across. You must have tremendous strength in your wrist.

[ This Message was edited by: Pants{UGTO/KLUTH} on 2005-06-17 10:10 ]

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-17 21:10   
Quote:

On 2005-06-17 07:29, LordShard wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-06-17 05:59, Shippo wrote:

I might know your problem.
Post your DXDiag.

What info you looking for? Sys. Info? Display drivers? I'm not posting the entire thing up here..

Email Shippo
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-18 02:02   
Quote:
On 2005-06-17 21:10, Shippo wrote:
What info you looking for? Sys. Info? Display drivers? I'm not posting the entire thing up here..

Pm it to me.

Don't press Ctrl W!

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-18 04:57   
Ah, someone found some exploits. At least I call them exploits.

You can take a jeep, drive full throttle and jump out befor eyou hit someone to teamkill without getting TK points. And if you defend yourself you get auto booted for TKings.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Trekkie_zero
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-18 20:58   
Really funny movie of the JSF in the demo

http://radioactive.sugarnut.de/movies/shakeit.wmv

Kinda cool how they take off and dance with the plane...

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-18 23:21   
Well who ever said they borked snipers is wrong... In fact snipers is much more usefull in this game than BFV. In bfv the vegitation only makes it harder for you to see the enemy, but they can see you no problem. In this game i have already found many good sniper points and have racked up kills galore with noone finding me... One shot to the head and the person is dead...

As for the TKing with a vehicle still happens in BFV too... Instead of letting someone that wants to be a pilot for the whole team fly, some idiot that just wants to get to where he wants jumps in and flys... then bails out without telling his team, you cant recover in time and half the team dies... What those idiots dont realize is that in these games, the server knows which team last used a vehicle and if its destroyed, that team looses 10 to 15 tickets each time. So suiciding vehicles can cause your team to loose the map... So we usually vote kick off idiots that do it.

[ This Message was edited by: Tael on 2005-06-18 23:30 ]

Email Tael
The Anarchist
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-18 23:23   
Yeah they had the same problem with teamkilling in bf1942 too. Player would drive full speed with jeeps and jump out killing thier teammates, but they fixed it in later patches.
"well that is 1024*768 resized by 0.5*0.5, then I reduced the colors from 24bit to 8bit (that pic is only 256 colors)"
Is it possible to change the colors in the game? I cant find any options for it =

Email The Anarchist
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-18 23:44   
Ironically I've been on those ships IRL...

Wasp Class ships
I've been aboard
LHD-2 USS Essex
LHD-3 USS Kearsarge
LHD-5 USS Bataan

Did a training cruise (1 month for trials) on the Essex.

Did a 6 month Med Float on the Kearsarge. Was aboard her for her first crossing at 0,0 - 0,0 where all aboard earned their Emerald Shellback ratings. (Shell back is someone that has crossed the Equator on a military ship. Day long nasty cerimony... Emerald Shellbacks are very rare and are people that have crossed the Equator and Prime Meridian at 0 Latitude, 0 Longitude... Have my plaquard framed and hung up still.)

Did a training op on the Bataan for her shakedown cruise and qualification evals. Was suppose to do a 6th month float with her too, but she was delayed 3 months for refits so got bumped from the schedule.

They did an interesting job modeling the exterior, but the interior is NOTHING like how they made it in the game, shame too, I think realistically modeling the well deck atleast would have been cool. Then you could drive your spawned tanks and humvees onto a waiting LCAC and then be driven ashore.

[ This Message was edited by: Tael on 2005-06-18 23:45 ]

Email Tael
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021340 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR