No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » my continuance in this game
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author my continuance in this game
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-11 20:12   
Quote:

On 2005-06-11 20:05, Azreal wrote:

I feel it coming. I really do. I feel that aggrevating urge to delete my profile and wipe this game off my drive. THAT"S HOW DAMN TIRED OF THESE BUGGS I AM!

Heh...did that for about a year and a half, and I still havn't subbed back yet, just had a free coupon.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-11 20:36   
Whee!

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2005-06-12 07:04 ]

Email Shigernafy
Puddle Jumper
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-11 20:59   
I personally don't mind the game it is right now. I think we could do without Wormholes as it just takes the fun of defending a system away.

Fix some bugs, maybe a few new things and what is currently there as release would be fine.

I only get lagged when there are alot of fighters around.

I truely dislike the beta and all the talk of making it a slower game so battles last longer. I for one don't want to spend 30 mins trying to kill a dread. Slower does not always mean better. I like a fastpaced game it keeps me entertained.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-11 21:52   
it was faster in earlier versions...but 30 minutes to kill a dread? the dread'll nuke you first dude.

SothaSil
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-12 01:15   
Just to kind of respond to the thread starter: Make some helpful sugestions, instead of just telling us all of the problems, because chances are, we know about em all ready. Give the game some "pointers"....you never know, if they are good enough, they might be heard.

[ This Message was edited by: SothaSil on 2005-06-12 01:16 ]

Email SothaSil
Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-12 02:04   
Here is a more productive idea. How about a 'Thank you for staying with DarkSpace during our times if turbulance'?

In any business, if something fails it is always good public relations to offer thanks for staying. That in itself may help some players stay. Just some reckognition to us all.

There are other ways to show your customers gratitude for their loyalty and willingness to stay.

For those that just complain, yes it gets old. But it helps to vent your frustrations. And those that do not like to hear it, who is forcing you to read it? You say its not helping any, well neither is your complaining about it being done. How about you do something to help reduce the complaints instead of telling them 'not to complain and do something to help the game?' Take your own advice and try to help the game so the complaints stop. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Beta will be interesting. Die hard fans will wait for it regardless of the current problems. Question is how long will it take verses the new customers that see what it is now and decide they do not like it? I do not know the time line involved, but I would have hoped that if the release is far enough away that the current would be fixed up a bit so newcommers would get hooked and stay.

I like DS, I hope it gets better. Every game has its downfalls, some more than others. Let people vent their anger, what will it hurt? Don't tell people to stop complaining, it wont work you should know. Just skip that post and you wont even know it was there.

I't meaningless comming from me, but I for one thank all the people that are sticking with it.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-12 02:17   
First off, try remember that A) Darkspace doesnt pull in enough money so Faustus can live off it, B) Faustus has a full time job he has to comit too, C) Faustus has a family.

I know that I couldn't give the hours to Darkspace that he does if I had to do all that. He does an amazing amount for DarkSpace, he baught new servers just so we could play pretty much lag free.

You all want hot fixes, yet most of you were not around for the hot fix flux that Faustus did a year ago....He braught out 8-12 patches a night to fix somethings, and some of those didnt go to well. He tried, the hardest I have ever seen him try to fix lag...He re-coded the network code to work with UDP, but since some people's ISP's actualy BLOCKED UDP packets, and others had problems, he had to revert it back. Hence why Faustus doesnt like the hot fix idea anymore, hence no flux fix, hence no elf fix. Hot fixes like that can actualy ruin the game more than some think.

The 1.480 patch, took years to do, because Faustus recoded the entire engine (a large portion (netcode, etc) 3 times over, that takes a god damn age to do, and with only Faustus coding the engine side of things it takes a long time, and since he got screwed over by his old business partner (I dont know the details anymore than most), I feel his reluctance to hand over his lifes work on Darkspace and a damn good engine to anyone else.

Now, all things considering, 1.483 has gone through more changes than I've ever seen in a Darkspace version (exluding early beta's, and even then 1.483 has been a pretty major shift). The engine has been re-tweaked graphics wise, net-code wise, and more. The game has had a TON of new content put in by Tael, who is churning out things every bloody day. I mean...we have (and these are just the ones I know of) 20 new ships. Thats the biggest change some of us have seen in a LONG time.

And lets not forget Chromix, who although is hardly ever out of /hide mode. Does a lot for the game aswell.

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-12 02:30   
The only problem with the game for me is lack of players. So whatever can help that would greatly help me in hitting the subscribe button every month. I dont see what the big deal with maybe some ads and cutting the cost to play down a bit even making it zero if ya could make the same with ads but what do I know? If ya think about it considering Im almost 2 years here and have subbed every mont that is almost $240 or about 8-12 decent games at the store I dont have to pay every month for(and some I can play online for no cost) so simple logic is, most wont pay for DS and hense lack of players and hense people who do have the money finding it not worth it to fly around by themselves. Rant and rave about about server/bandwith costs but! live today peeps ads pay and If I have to stare at an ad on my screen to play ds with a bunch more peeps for less cost then, BRING ON THE ADS! Just my 2 cents in.
[small][ This Message was edited by: JRE on 2005-06-12 02:33 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: JRE on 2005-06-12 02:45 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-12 02:36   
Its a lot less than that...i'd stress as little as 200 compaired to 1500. Which means $2000 (im basing this of a guess (its no were near 1500 though).

$2000...

Most of that goes towards server hosting, bandwidth, etc, etc. Most of it goes towards DarkSpace itself.

Even if Faustus DID make more, he would have to keep that so that he could buy new server for Darkspace....again, the moneys going towards DarkSpace. Perfect proof of that just passed, with Faustus buying a new server (and we dont actualy know if that was out of his own pocket...).

Could be more than 200..could be less....

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-12 03:06   
Quote:

On 2005-06-12 02:36, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Its a lot less than that...i'd stress as little as 200 compaired to 1500. Which means $2000 (im basing this of a guess (its no were near 1500 though).

$2000...

Most of that goes towards server hosting, bandwidth, etc, etc. Most of it goes towards DarkSpace itself.

Even if Faustus DID make more, he would have to keep that so that he could buy new server for Darkspace....again, the moneys going towards DarkSpace. Perfect proof of that just passed, with Faustus buying a new server (and we dont actualy know if that was out of his own pocket...).

Could be more than 200..could be less....

Crappy quad xeons. I say DS should get a new ISP. xD!!!!!

Don't press Ctrl W!

Quistis {C?}
Cadet
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2005-06-12 03:31   
I usually don't respond to posts like these because quite frankly, responding does, has done, and will do little good. While this may sound negative, in my mind its not... We all have our reaons for playing, staying and or leaving this game, but the simple fact is that most of us have fun playing it and/ or being part of its' community.

Is this alone enough to keep you paying month after month? In my mind, Yes, but I can certainly understand and respect why other would disagree.

In the end its all about having fun...if you have fun playing the game, being part of its' community etc etc. then please stay...the community needs you and the game needs you. If your not having fun, and you feel as some of the posters in this thread do, then maybe it is time to move on...it's not my decision...it's yours.

Either way, DS is here to stay for a while longer and until the day that servers go offline, there will always be those like me that love this game and will never leave it without one hell of a fight.

-Pandy

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-12 03:46   
Ok... after reading like 6 of the replies I'm inclined to remind people of this. THE BETA IS FIXING THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU ARE ALL COMPLAINING ABOUT! What people fail to realize is that a game like this is an extremely complex set of coded instructions that must be PERFECTLY balanced for a playable game to emerge.

Lets play a little game of "Didja know?"

Didja know that most MMOGs similar to Darkspace take at least 2-4 years to develop into a playable beta?

Didja know that the afformentioned MMOGs are often coded by an elite staff of dozens of experienced coders?

Didja know that these coders and programmers are paid for what they do?

Didja know that the money for these coders and programmers come from investors and video game companies who expect to make a profit?

Now I ask this....
Where are DS's investors?
Where are DS's legions of programmers & coders?
Where was DS's 2-4 years of development? (with, of course, the afformentioned elite staff of dozens of programmers & coders).

Like it or not DS is coded IN HOUSE by a HANDFULL (what is it, 2, 3 people? If that?) of those elite code jockeys that we praise so much. The problem is that these few people must do the work of many, and people just fail to realize that its not as easy as it seems.

They don't seem to realize that among the millions and millions of lines of code that make up DS, all of the lines must work PERFECTLY together just to get the game running, getting them to run EFFICIENTLY is another matter entirely.

They don't seem to realize that the beta is that ongoing process of updating those millions of lines of code (one by one) to attain an optimum level of efficiency.

They don't seem to realize that while they may talk about "Oh you spent so much time on the ships & all those useless updates!" that the ships & whatnot were an afterthought that took at most a month to impliment, meanwhile in the months beforehand & since there have been ONGOING updates to the backend code to fix all of the problems that people are constantly talking about.

I praise you in the one sense that you said "If this next patch...." which means the beta updates. For the rest of you... PFFFFT!

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-12 04:00   
Quote:

On 2005-06-12 03:46, Coeus [Recruiting] wrote:
Coeus' long post here...

Dont forget that whilst Faustus works on the code side, Tael updates the content. So whilst it may seem like only the content is being update, Faustus is secretivly, going behind the scenes updating and optimizing the code. For example the unit (infantry) optimizations. You may think, "wtf...that does nothing for lag!!!11". Infact, your wrong, the many little things like this that take CPU time to work, actualy can attribute to the lag, so by optimizing them, Faustus is freeing up more CPU time, aswell as making the game run smoother, just like Coeus said. Many lines, much optimization needed. The madusa engine, is without a doubt, one of the best engines I've ever seen coded (with some exceptions), its FAR out-dated some engines that were made in its region of time. Think 4 years ago, what....we had...battlefield 1942 and crap, DarkSpace can be made and tweaked to look even better than that does. The difference is, whilst 100+ people worked on that game, only one works on this games engine.

Im going to continue paying, like I always do, because I love this game, and I love the community, I'm past the time were I just wanted to pay to play, im paying Faustus for the amazing work he has done to create this community, not the game. Dont get me wrong though, if you look through the tiny, small faults, Darkspace is still the kickass game it was years ago, and it will still be a kickass game in years to come.

Viva la darkspace!

.spaivxx.
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-12 06:27   
Hmmm, another "DS sucks now" thrread. Right on schedule, we get these what, every 2 to 3 months? For all who don't know "The patch will be out in 2 weeks!!!". Well, not really, I am not even a mod so I have no inside info, but saying it just took me back to the good old days when everyone was posting how DS sucked then.

I agree with the assesment that the biggest problem DS has is the small player base. That is surprising because it IS a good game and you would think in the eniter world more than 20 people or so at a given time would be on to play.

My take on all this is simply, when it's fun, play. When it's not, don't. I have unsubbed numerous times myself but end up coming back.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-06-12 07:41   
Quote:

On 2005-06-12 03:46, Coeus [Recruiting] wrote:

They don't seem to realize that while they may talk about "Oh you spent so much time on the ships & all those useless updates!" that the ships & whatnot were an afterthought that took at most a month to impliment, meanwhile in the months beforehand & since there have been ONGOING updates to the backend code to fix all of the problems that people are constantly talking about.

Um. the last patch was last year. And guess what. All the bugs we have now we had then. They are still there. Like a big thumb in the eye.

The best patch DS could give us would be one that got rid of the lobby. Personally, I have a hard time taking these "DS is just dandy" posts from people who ride the lobby 99% of the time, and the game MAYBE 1 % of the time they log in. Put as much time IN GAME, and then see what you think.

Again. Fixxed in beta? WHO CARES! TWO WEEKS??? WHO CARES???? The problems are here and now, and have been ongoing FAR TOO LONG.

WE NEED A FIX FOR THE GAME WE PAY FOR. Is that so freakin hard to wrap your simple minds around?

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027724 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR