No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Resource Limitations - Dreads part 2
 Author Resource Limitations - Dreads part 2
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-03 15:58   
I have often promised resource limitations in order to rarify Dreadnoughts. These are very simple changes. Either they are code changes done in a single day, or something so simple that any layman can do it. Here goes.

1: Limit Resource Collection Rates.

Simply enough, resources are collected too fast. Slowing down the resource collection rates significantly will stop the obscene resource growth without having to put a resource limitation in the game. In Addition, colony bases should be completely unable to mine rare materials.

2: Redo the Metaverse.

The Metaverse simply has obscene amounts of rare resources. Given, Homesystems should be garunteed at least one of each rare resource. There should not be that many rare resources in the first place. This would also make rare-resource planets worth fighting over. Rather than each planet being generally the same.

3: Boost the Cost of ships.

Ships should be expensive. Especially Dreadnoughts. Cruisrs should also cost a pretty penny. Costs will accurately reflect ship capability. Also, this will allow resource rates to be kept at a consistant enough rate for buildings to be built with ease.

4: Allow Resource Micromanagement.

This is not really a limiting factor, but, players should have far more control what each planet imports and exports to. This is so players can create supply lines to the Shipyard-worlds without having backwater planets stock up extremely valuable resources that they do not even need.

Goto the website of Novacat
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-03 17:06   
Quote:

On 2005-06-03 15:58, RedXIII wrote:

This is not really a limiting factor, but, players should have far more control what each planet imports and exports to.

they used to have something like that in 1.480

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-06-03 17:33   
Wow Red I gotta hand it to ya thats some top notch stuff, and im interested in where this will end up. maybe put up a 2nd server to test this idea,.. like a alternate universe mini mv?

Now, I dont want to throw a wrench into your thought processes here but i gotta tell ya Im having problems seeing a few of these concepts when it comes to people using it. I remember the resource management systems, now dont get me wrong here, Im 100% behind you on what you want here, but how would you suggest it to be idiot proof?

lets say for the sake of argument that some random fleet less player strolls along and has sufficent access but no real understanding bcus there has always been people to maintain this system, but now those people are at work and this player starts hitting buttons, and next thing you know there on the other faction, and that faction they just left now has to wait 14 hrs for there Urd Res to build up cus the trade routes got mismanaged.

Or

I pop into my uber res station from a SY, and in the heat of the battle while defending the only Sy left in our system, i forget that there are moons all arround this SY spawn world and smash this billion creds ship into one of the moons.

Or

worst yet even, i bust out my AD and while chasing down some pirate, my cable modem decides to go on the fritz like its been doing to me lately and my dread goes head long into the sirrus 1's flight path..

not to mention the White line of death, or lag, jump lag, turn lag, enemy jump into your position lag, or its cousin uber fight lag..

im not trying to be an horses back side

I want to see how you figure the player factor into this new version of the MV.

And i think the best thing would be to set up a somekind of test server for this.

-Charz

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-03 18:29   
Planets wont have any moons at almost melee range. To prevent something like this from occuring.

Well, as for cable crashes... well... we need a better system when it comes to disconnecting players. I would recommend for an AI, preferably with the ability to avoid planets rather than ignore them.

[ This Message was edited by: RedXIII on 2005-06-03 18:36 ]

Goto the website of Novacat
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-03 21:04   
The problem with that system is it would require rebalancing whenever the playerbase changes. If we got an influx of players, the system would fall apart.

It sounds like something you'd consider if we had more players, currently it just looks like more work for the few actives.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-06-05 19:10   
Perhaps make it so that...

Say theres Planet A. This planet is owned by Fleet-1. Most of the resources generated by that planet are pooled specifically for that fleet. Perhaps around 55-65% of it. The remaining 35-45% would go into the entire factions pool of resources, which can be used by anyone.

However those resources gained by a Fleet, are for their use only, as if reserved resources. This would make it so that its extra incentive for Fleets to go out and cap stuff, so their fleet m8s can have the ships they need.

-Ent

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-08 14:03   
I miss the old AI tranny system ...it was jsut funny to be honest, not particurally good but it was hilarious...I like enterprises' idea of the % for fleet and faction from planets and I also agree that colony bases should not be able to mine rare resources, currently in the MV mines are less useful than a noob in an extrator at Earth (bada bing!)...But the amount gathered is fine in my opinion, what we need is resource degradation, where say 1-10% of all the resources on a planet disappears every 2 hours or so. And we also need the old tranny system, without the trannies. The control offered to an engineer was INCREDABLY helpful in the old system, for example I could chose to import only metal and export my incredably rare hypermatter rather than importing everything (including the hypermatter my planet jsut exported) and export everthing...it'd also be nice to have a way to make sy planets only import resources and export very few, if any. Currently you have to manually move resources to an sy planet, turn on the port, dump them, turn off the port, and repeat if you're in a scenario server...and that's not fun...we need more control, colony bases not gathering rares (possibly only metals, heavy metals, hydro and oxygen?) and enterprises' idea in my opinion...