Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » I'M LOSING MY HAIR!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author I'M LOSING MY HAIR!
Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-02 03:22   
to the US Army National Guard.

i'm enlisting, possibly in field artillery as my only other options are cavalry(those tanks that are getting shot to crap and back), or mechanized repair(like the people who got lost then ambushed).

anyway, i just had to share someplace. i talk to the recruiter on saturday. he even offered to pick me up at the train station. isn't that nice of him? i doubt it has anything to do with their poor enlistment rate at all.

this is all i'm going to say about this beyond bragging about how i'm gonna get to play with 155mm cannons and machineguns, fly around in helicopters, get free technical schooling in gunsmithing, and have $10,000 just for enlisting. they'll probably ship me off to Iraq tme moment the battery is shotcked up, but hey, i haven't heard of any arty getting IED'd, so i doubt i have much to worry about.

at least when i'm on-duity.

Fleet Admiral Busby
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-02 04:07   
good luck man ive could of been a Apache Piolt but to afriad of hights GOOD LUCK!!! btw bring me a Mini gun when you get back mkay? )

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-06-02 04:20   
you only got 10k? geez.... that sucks.... how many years did you sign up for man? If you need any insight as to what life is like in the military don't hesitate to contact me. I've been in the guard for 4 years now.... still have 2 years left on my enlistment and I love it. Good luck to you and hopefully you don't get sent over to Iraq. Good luck and god speed.

-Supertrooper

Email Supertrooper
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-02 09:58   
I think the enlistment thing is down to almost a year, due to the shortage of recruits, and the enlistment bonuses are getting bigger. No one wants to go into the armed forces anymore. According to one recruiter I've spoken to, the Marine Corp, who has always had to turn down many applicants, can now not meet it's quota of recruits, which acording to a recruiter has never happened before. The Iraq thing has really left a bad impression on everyone I know. I had a friend just now reinlist, he got a huge re-sign bonus. But around here, you see people avoiding the recruiting offices like the plague.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-02 12:22   
Good luck!

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Razor
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-02 12:28   
Retired Army here. 22 years worth. I can give you the skinny. Go aviation if you can, life is better there.

RaZoR

We are many. We are one.

Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-02 13:55   
Good luck, i PVR,d after 7 and a half, would go back tommorrow if i was younger.
Not in the artillery though. To bloody noisey. Join the medical corps, fit females, mmmmmmmmm.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-02 14:07   
From what I understand, they take about a third of your bonus as taxes. Also, I think the tanks are the safe places, while the Humvees and thin skinned trucks are not. The problem lies in having no armor, where tanks have that in abundance. Standing outside of an artillery piece doesn't offer much protection from mortars or roving bands of dudes trying to blow themselves up from salvation.

Good luck!

Puppies gotta die, too.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-02 14:17   
Its not just the conflicts in Afganistan and Iraq, but what they are doing to people that are in the service. At the beginning of the conflicts recruitment was still strong, no shortages... But some brainiac at the Pentagon got the brilliant idea that Unit Cohesiveness was the most important factor to an Combat Efficiency. Granted keeping units together keeps the experiance level up, but not allowing people to leave the service once their time is up lowers moral. Continually extending units deploy times on a whim while cutting short their stateside time reduces their moral. One thing the Military has known for years is that Moral is what makes or breaks an army. Thats why the mail run has a higher priority than food or bullets... Keep moral high and you get more from your men. Part of Intels job is to find ways to demoralize the enemy...

So because of some idiot in the Pentagon, the military has departed from the aged and proven belief of Troop Moral being important.

Thus, while they were getting new blood, many of them were kept stateside while vets who had done their time in the sand were being forced to stay there longer and do more.

The Vets went public and several tried to get the courts to override the Military on these decissions and allow them to come home. The courts sided with the military.

But the damage was done... People saw the dissent in the forces. The issues of the armored humvees and body armor is more of the news media fluff piece than anything significant. I've been in conflict zones all over the world. Any never did we worry about armoring the Humvees, we either got out of them or tried to speed up to get out of the area... As for the body armor, often even when provided the option to use the body armor, we turned it down because of the bulk and weight. The way it covers your body can lead you to over heat, especially for the infantry who are walking on the ground with all their gear on their back... Grunts try to find ways to shed weight, not add it.

The Military instituted the Stop Loss to keep unit Cohession and forced many more people to stay past their end of service. Note, all military contracts are for 8 years. Weither you do 3 active or 4 active, there is still an 8 year contract. So the difference is your "Inactive" reserve time. You can be called back to duty at any time during that.

Usually its only used when the need for troops doesnt meet with the number of recruits. But in this case they started pulling back in people with combat experiance or special skills instead of sending in the fresh recruits. This caused more dissention in the military ranks.

Many Guard units where were ment only to be used sparingly in times of war abroad and more for homeland defense are acting more like active duty military units than being the auxillary defense force they were ment to be. This has further angered many in the National Guard and again caused more outcry from the military to the public.

Now many people leaving active duty that would normally switch to the National Guard are refusing to join. The National Guard "expects" to absorb about 20% of those discharging from active duty to their ranks. Thats no longer happening and their numbers are now dwindling as a result. The National Guard has now started resorting to legal action against people trying to quit. (After your initial contract, you are suppose to be able to resign from the National Guard at any time as you would any job.) Just a few months ago the National Guard got a court to agree with them to force 2 pilots to return to Iraq and pressed them back into the Guard after they tried to legally quit citing the need for their specialty skills.

Things have gotten so bad that a new law went into effect this year that few know about. It use to be if you were on disability from the military, such as I am, you were no longer subject to possible recall. The Government slashed V.A. (Veterans Affairs) budget and their benifits, but also raised their ammount of pay those currently on disablilty got by an additional 5% (wooping $30/month more for me). The catch-22 on this is, now any former military personel drawing disability is subject to full recall for as long as you draw disability. I know two guys now, one was out for 14 years, the other just over 8 years and both of them were pressed back into service because of their skills, and I have heard of others...

Another thing that has plauged recruitment for some time now is the "Happy Days" issue. Something that came up in the 90's just after Tail-hook and all the hazing issues came up. The Military wants the "Fonzerelly" types, but the rules placed on them by Congress limits them to only recruiting the "Richie Cunninghams"... Thus a measure ment to improve the personality character of those serving in the service has further limited the pool of "acceptable" recuits further...

Email Tael
Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-02 15:17   
Quote:

On 2005-06-02 14:07, AdmBito wrote:
From what I understand, they take about a third of your bonus as taxes. Also, I think the tanks are the safe places, while the Humvees and thin skinned trucks are not. The problem lies in having no armor, where tanks have that in abundance. Standing outside of an artillery piece doesn't offer much protection from mortars or roving bands of dudes trying to blow themselves up from salvation.

Good luck!

tanks have hardly any armor on their undersides. the insurgents have these improvised Anti Tank mines made out of aircraft bombs that they bury in the road, so when a tank runs over it, the tank is killed. also, the cuurent RGP is able to punch through the M1A2's armour

anyway, i read that the enlistment is three years, and since it's the national guard, it's only part time. so i got the ability to do another job(untill they ship me out). 10,000 is pretty good, as i'm poor as hell right now. even if it's taxed, as long as i have enough to buy a pickup truck and a new computer, i'm happy.

also, i haven't sighned anything yet.

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-02 15:35   
They'll seriously take like, 2/3rds of it. So if you're smart, you put it in an RRSP, and get a whole bunch back.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-02 15:55   
Quote:

On 2005-06-02 14:17, Tael wrote:
Its not just the conflicts in Afganistan and Iraq, but what they are doing to people that are in the service. At the beginning of the conflicts recruitment was still strong, no shortages... But some brainiac at the Pentagon got the brilliant idea that Unit Cohesiveness was the most important factor to an Combat Efficiency. Granted keeping units together keeps the experiance level up, but not allowing people to leave the service once their time is up lowers moral. Continually extending units deploy times on a whim while cutting short their stateside time reduces their moral. One thing the Military has known for years is that Moral is what makes or breaks an army. Thats why the mail run has a higher priority than food or bullets... Keep moral high and you get more from your men. Part of Intels job is to find ways to demoralize the enemy...

So because of some idiot in the Pentagon, the military has departed from the aged and proven belief of Troop Moral being important.

Thus, while they were getting new blood, many of them were kept stateside while vets who had done their time in the sand were being forced to stay there longer and do more.

The Vets went public and several tried to get the courts to override the Military on these decissions and allow them to come home. The courts sided with the military.

But the damage was done... People saw the dissent in the forces. The issues of the armored humvees and body armor is more of the news media fluff piece than anything significant. I've been in conflict zones all over the world. Any never did we worry about armoring the Humvees, we either got out of them or tried to speed up to get out of the area... As for the body armor, often even when provided the option to use the body armor, we turned it down because of the bulk and weight. The way it covers your body can lead you to over heat, especially for the infantry who are walking on the ground with all their gear on their back... Grunts try to find ways to shed weight, not add it.

The Military instituted the Stop Loss to keep unit Cohession and forced many more people to stay past their end of service. Note, all military contracts are for 8 years. Weither you do 3 active or 4 active, there is still an 8 year contract. So the difference is your "Inactive" reserve time. You can be called back to duty at any time during that.

Usually its only used when the need for troops doesnt meet with the number of recruits. But in this case they started pulling back in people with combat experiance or special skills instead of sending in the fresh recruits. This caused more dissention in the military ranks.

Many Guard units where were ment only to be used sparingly in times of war abroad and more for homeland defense are acting more like active duty military units than being the auxillary defense force they were ment to be. This has further angered many in the National Guard and again caused more outcry from the military to the public.

Now many people leaving active duty that would normally switch to the National Guard are refusing to join. The National Guard "expects" to absorb about 20% of those discharging from active duty to their ranks. Thats no longer happening and their numbers are now dwindling as a result. The National Guard has now started resorting to legal action against people trying to quit. (After your initial contract, you are suppose to be able to resign from the National Guard at any time as you would any job.) Just a few months ago the National Guard got a court to agree with them to force 2 pilots to return to Iraq and pressed them back into the Guard after they tried to legally quit citing the need for their specialty skills.

Things have gotten so bad that a new law went into effect this year that few know about. It use to be if you were on disability from the military, such as I am, you were no longer subject to possible recall. The Government slashed V.A. (Veterans Affairs) budget and their benifits, but also raised their ammount of pay those currently on disablilty got by an additional 5% (wooping $30/month more for me). The catch-22 on this is, now any former military personel drawing disability is subject to full recall for as long as you draw disability. I know two guys now, one was out for 14 years, the other just over 8 years and both of them were pressed back into service because of their skills, and I have heard of others...

Another thing that has plauged recruitment for some time now is the "Happy Days" issue. Something that came up in the 90's just after Tail-hook and all the hazing issues came up. The Military wants the "Fonzerelly" types, but the rules placed on them by Congress limits them to only recruiting the "Richie Cunninghams"... Thus a measure ment to improve the personality character of those serving in the service has further limited the pool of "acceptable" recuits further...

I know a few people who were forced back into the military when their 8 years were almost up. >: (

You have on idea how many times marines and national guard have sent my flyers, mailing and emails asking me to join. In fact the highschool I went to was requested EVERYONE who would be attending that high school's name, numbers, SSI#. I feel violated. >: (

Don't press Ctrl W!

Sweet Mary
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-02 16:46   
i wonder... if the enlisting doesn't go up... if they'll draft O.o

well wish you luck guy stay safe

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-06-02 16:55   
Well as a Sailor who has packed around every small arm up to and including .50 cals.. (got to love those Ma Dueces) I say hats off to you. If I could do it again I would do it in the Army... Not that I haven't had a blast for the last 20 years...

Have a good one...

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-02 17:10   
Tanks are easy to kill, anothe weak point is to target between the road wheels.

In the first Gulf war I was on one of the teams trained to kill tanks... Something as running up and placing a Willy Pete on the engine block will mobility kill a tank. (White Phosphorus grenade... eats right through the armor and engine.) Another tactic we use to practive was a simple 20 pound satch charge of c-4 (16 sticks of 1 1/4 pound of c-4 come in a satchel) can kill any tank as well, just prime the charge and lob it under the turrent and it will toss the turrent 30 to 40 feet in the air. That was fun to practice...

Also as noted above, the undercarrige armor is typically only a couple of inches at most so even an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) can typically take out the tank... Tanks are good on the open field, but not in urban environments. If you try crashing one through a building you have to watch out for traps. We found buildings where they hollowed out the floor and made a tank trap. Then then tried to lure our tanks to go through them... Also seen where they have collapsed buildings onto tanks and burried them... Another trick is to hide a bunch of people in a building and as the tank goes by or tries to go through it, they take it out easily while the tank is blinded...

-----

Because the National Guard are being used as full time military, many guardsmen have lost their jobs because they have been gone to long. The law was suppose to protect against that, but the businesses went to court and stated it was hurting them, so obligation to the National Guard no longer assures you wont loose your job while away. The uncertainy of deployment durations and schedules has forced that protection measure to no longer be guarentied...

Email Tael
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.104187 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR