Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » this could be the Future Of Police
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author this could be the Future Of Police
Fleet Admiral Busby
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-04 22:44   
http://gprime.net/video.php/robotpoliceofficer

Custom
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-04 23:46   
....That would be awsome..If we could put that kind of power into the hands of the Idiots that control 3rd ( er i mean Developing ) world nations. Dont you guys get it at all ...That would be the COOLEST thing since when the US and Sadam were buddys..and then we could send our own Newer versions and just have the Robots fight eachother.. and then we could just blame the robots for the Civilan deaths!! Its perfect!!

I WANT 25 of them now!!

Do they really think that the same people who are given Billions every year in US Aid and have at every given opportunity gone out and spent that money on military equipment.. wont turn those into a force to keep there own dictatorships in power. I mean cmon! did anyone ever hear of Rwanda? cus im sure the hutu wouldnt have used the robots on the Tutse and Twa.

CeylousMirod
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-05 00:21   
That was rather interesting... something like a prelude to um..... oh I dont know um....... THE MATRIX ???? ahhah good stuff dude

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-05-05 07:33   
I'd rather not let that happen. People would go to war without reason because it wouldnt effect human lives.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-05-05 07:43   
Those look like the things from that Pts of Authority video...

Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-05 12:05   
as a police force, robots are not a good idea, as things are rarely black and white; it must be taken on a case-by-case basis. also, technically, that's an automaton, not a robot.

robots are simple, mindless machines that can only operate with direct input from a central computer or a sentient operator, automotons are self contained, and can operate autonomously.

in anycase, machines are not a replacement for anything, not are they a substitute. as long as there is a war to fight, there will always be a need for a warm body with a rifle. machines only augment and aid the human soldier.

Fleet Admiral Busby
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-05 17:38   
ty for killing the Thread again Savage thanks....................

Placebo
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-06 03:03   
What about terminator...those robots kicked our butts... :*(....

Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-06 09:41   
Quote:

On 2005-05-05 17:38, GCIEvilLol wrote:
ty for killing the Thread again Savage thanks....................

you're welcome. ^_^

Trekkie_zero
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-06 18:12   
The only way they could probably be able to be replacements for cops is if they have cognative abilities... Then you get into a grey area and the reason for most of our fear of robots, like the Terminator series of movies and the Matrix. You'd kinda have to hope its a benevelant AI like the AIs the humans use in the Halo series where they are loyal to the humans but still have issues, and sometimes ppl are forced to say a code word to instantly put acid on the chip of the AI then you get into more problems like ppl outside the police feasibly getting a hand on that code saying it and they just killed a chunk of your police force...

Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-06 19:24   
you mean like sentient and sapient AI?

we haven't the tech at current.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-05-06 20:28   
theres actual programming being developed to mimic human behavioural responses. and since its a program its capable of being directly modified. so for example they can make a sprite recognize a threat and become "afraid" of it, running away from it. the idea was to make computer AI models to replace stunt doubles in movies. one of the very real possibilitis is the AI stunt double could actually refuse to do a stunt because it wouldnt want to harm itself.

id imagine this same sort of thing could be more heavily applied to policing.

but no, i dont think robotic officers are the best thing. robotic soldiers are already real life, and the prospect of killing people with absolutely no threat of any real loss to yourself is sort of sickening really. if you can stand miles away with a monitored view of the destruction youre causing, you've detatched yourself from the humanity of it. thats a dangerous prospect. to detach humanity from law is an even worse idea. especially in countries where humanity is already in short supply due to dictatorships fueled by foreign money and weapons

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-05-06 20:43   
I had heard a while back that a lot of advancements have been made in the realm of expanding programming - it is an AI theory that works like this: instead of preprogramming an automated set of responses in a massive "IF ELSE" sort of structure, which ultimately always fails in AI attempts due to massive conflicts, what you do is this. You set the groundwork parameters & basic functions of motion, command input & whatnot, and you get the AI to learn, it builds on knowledge the way a human baby develops language, coordination, intelligence, over time.

I don't know the details of how it works, I just remember reading something about it a few years back - dunno if anything actually came of it.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-06 22:05   
yeah, but we don't have the nessisary tech now. i.e. at current.

therefore what i said is entirely accurate. in anycase, automatons can never replace humans. like lark said, yu'd be removing the humanity from it.

robots aren't the answer, just a a tool.

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-20 18:04   
That's an old video, made by Embassy Effect, Inc.

I saw it about this toime last year, looks allot grainer and much lower quality than I remember too.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020940 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR