No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +17.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » ECCM Pinging
 Author ECCM Pinging
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-21 21:42   
One thing I thought about a while ago, and just came across in beta. Basically it's possible to reveal a cloaked luth by turning off and on your eccm or sensor bases. Turning on eccm raises sig, cloak has to adapt - so the luth is uncloaked for a short period. One player with a few eccm can keep a luth almost constantly visible, completely nerfing the cloak. I'm guessing this was not an intended feature.

Or was it? That's what I'm posting here to find out

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-21 21:49   
If you read the Dev meetings you will see its already on the to be fixed list...

Email Tael
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-21 22:02   
Hey, I did! Clearly not thoroughly enough...

Good to hear. Just that some in beta did not think it was an exploit.

*grumbles*Narky devs die now!*whinge*

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-21 23:25   
There is a problem thats been in teh back of my mind for a while now...

What if someone can drop on a planet with more than 32 inf now, or say its just been capped...

Whats to stop a kluth player just waltzing up, uncloak, drop and recloak before anyone can do anything....

Enemy owned planets need to have a range in which kluth are detected, cloak or no cloak. I think 750-800 gu is a safe distance, allows kluth ample time to get in position, but allows the player time to stop any easy drops that kluth want to put in.

Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-22 00:00   
Yep I've been talking about that for a while, among other things (like a bomber uncloaking at 300gu)

I posted this in DS forum:

Quote:
A few suggestions:
- Any bombs, fighters, missiles self-destruct when a luth cloaks.
- A "Cloaked ships detected near xxx" warning (at 2k gu), without revealing number or type.
- Some method of detecting cloaked ships, however poor. For example, being able to det beacons to show luth in ~50gu radius for a few seconds. Beacons would be perfect for that since they move so slow and not much ammo.

You need to know when a luth is near one of your planets. Even if you can't see it. Otherwise short-run bombers can go freely, and it's not safe for anyone to sit at any of even your own planets.

[ This Message was edited by: Lonectzn on 2005-04-22 00:02 ]

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-22 00:37   
One possibility is that cloaks fail when you are within 500 gu of a planet or so...

Email Tael
WinterRose
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-22 02:17   
Maybe also make them fail when they get *reealllly* close to a enemy ship as well? I'm thinking, say just a scooch before the ships will have to pass over/under one another?

Email WinterRose
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-04-22 10:09   
Maybe include it as a side effect of the planet based sensor or interdictor bases.

Another possibility that would be more consistent would be to have the 'decloak' affect vary according to the planet size and tied into the planet having an active sensor base, or a ship with a scanner nearby (IE 500gu radius when near a friendly planet)

Any K'luth owned planets would not have this effect on thier own ships. Only 'enemy' owned planets.

Goto the website of Drafell
Puddle Jumper
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-22 10:27   
Why don't you just remove the kluth from the game. Can't do anything as it is while cloaked and now you want to make it so the cloak fails when in distance of a planet.

Ok I want the shields to fail on the other ships when they come near red planets. Fair is Fair after all. What you take from one you must take from all to keep it "balanced"

I am really disliking where this game is heading.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-22 10:36   
thats sort of the point. as a trade off for being totally undetectable all you get to do is run, use specials devices, and bomb (for now)

you jump in at distance and immeadietly cloak. sneak up on your target, uncloak, alpha once or twice, and recloak. then wait for hull/armor to repair and repeat. stuck in dictor? cloak and get out of range, then uncloak and jump

Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-22 11:05   
Nitron, if you tried bombing/capping as luth in beta, you'd know what we're talking about.

However I'm not a fan of the uncloak at certain range approach. For one, to be useful it needs to be around 700gu at the least. At 500 gu you have barely time to respond. That's even assuming you're sitting around doing nothing, waiting for a bomber to come. And at 500gu, an AC can get 4 out of 5 rounds off. So it's still a ticket for luth to bomb, sd, come back with more troops. But the longer you make the range, the less useful luth cloak is in general. For eg ideal would be 1k like the dictor, but then luth would be at serious disadvantage - no cloak, dictored and the new fighter swarms to deal with.

An extension to my beacons idea:
How about instead of detonating the beacons, manual targetting a spot makes the beacon sit there, detecting cloaked/ecm'd ships within a short radius (ie the 50gu or less, 40?). Beacons move slow, have relatively little ammo and don't last very long, so it's hardly Uber cloak-nerfing. Plus it would take a decent amount of skill to use effectively. A human fleet could dig in to a spot by setting up a sensor net like this.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-22 12:39   
Quote:

On 2005-04-22 11:05, Lonectzn wrote:
An extension to my beacons idea:
How about instead of detonating the beacons, manual targetting a spot makes the beacon sit there, detecting cloaked/ecm'd ships within a short radius (ie the 50gu or less, 40?). Beacons move slow, have relatively little ammo and don't last very long, so it's hardly Uber cloak-nerfing. Plus it would take a decent amount of skill to use effectively. A human fleet could dig in to a spot by setting up a sensor net like this.

Wait for platforms, might be something like this then.

I agree with lone though, 500 does seem a little too short, although 750 seems too much...perhaps 650-700? Either that or stop kluth ships from dropping 10 seconds after decloak (make up some fantasy reasons, like the cloaking device emits a charge too strong around the ship for any kluth infantry pod to make it past the ship outer hull).

Page created in 0.015933 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR