No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » A Narrative of ICC Military Recruitment
 Author A Narrative of ICC Military Recruitment
2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-09 00:41   
( my other work of fiction posted here, and linking directly to this one can be found at:
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=33657&forum=113&10)

Here's some quick work that once again came to me in a bit of a burst, I can't realy attest to the quality of this, and as far as presentation, its far different from my other works, but its still simulated nonfiction. Comments encouraged.

Night envelops a forested planet, a hot zone from space, but the location of this specific cluster of vegetation is not particularly dangerous, not for now anyway.
“This is unit stingray 54” a voice from the shadows uttered, ”I am at the designated covered location and primed for maneuvers… awaiting target co-ordinate designation”
I spoke those words at the beginning of every combat operation I was a part of…I was, and am, a cyberneticly enhanced “marksman.” Of course this wasn’t a very fitting word for my supportive role. In reality I was more automated targeting and IR AR tracking than steady hand and hawkish eye, I didn’t shoot a rifle, I operated an artillery piece. The AM47 Gun Platform Exo-Suit was my equipment, the AMG89 Recoilless Rifle my weapon.
“Rogger that Stingray 54… This is International 6. I have a target for you, we need an EMP airburst over the UGTO control tower… verify preparations complete for bombardment?”
Support unit 54 laid prone on the ground within the brush layer of a temperate forest, his gun trained in the general direction of a UGTO shipyard, however it was far out of visual range, for he was over two miles away and the evening cloud cover characteristic to this planet allowed him to barely see in front of his gun. The shipyard was minor, designed to allow reinforcements to arrive quickly at the nearby cluster of planets orbiting a gas giant. Their objective was to capture it if possible, or if this could not be achieved, raze the important parts of the installation. He flicked a switch to the side if the trigger guard of his gun twice, turning a cylinder containing four smaller chambers 180 degrees. The micro fusion reactor laden round inside clicked into position.
“This is Stingray 54… reporting preparation for bombardment complete, you are clear to send co-ordinates.”
The comm. In his left ear buzzed momentarily with static then beeped, switching off, they heard him. A warning trilled in his ear seconds before his arms were jolted into the optimal firing line to hit the designated co ordinates.
“^This is Stingray 54, all ICC infantry within my operating zone, duck and cover, I’m taking the shot.”
With that he pulled the trigger, sending a smoke trailing can of disarray speeding horizon-ward. A small flash and weakening hum exuded from the distance.
“Verify delivery of ordinance on target International 6?”
“Dead on, no more visuals of control tower transmission activity, the airwaves are clean, we’re going to need some more fire support later, hold your position and stand by.”
“Rogger.”
Most of the squads I have served with have come to respect my comrades’ and my role on the battlefield. We provide long-range fire support for ICC infantry operations. In short we blow things up, just like most ICC infantry, we just do it differently. I use the kind of equipment capable of destroying bunkers in only a shot, I can shoot down aircraft, I can black out enemy communications, but most importantly I can break the enemy’s spirit and resolve. That alone makes me as important as anyone on the front lines. I am equipped to eliminate any known threat present on the battlefield, I elude the enemy’s sight and detection, for it is how I survive, I am a shadow warrior!

Excerpts from “A narrative of Marksmanship” and ICC Military recruitment media #540 (mobile artillery corps)

[small][ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2005-04-09 00:43 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Sobaan on 2005-04-10 20:29 ]

Email 2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan   Goto the website of 2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-04-09 18:59   
Really nice, I like the idea of seeing a part of Darkspace from the ground. Keep it up. Maybe even giving your little "Thumper" a name and a story about how he came to be... You know his life in story. I think it would make an interesting read.

I can see it now. "My Story - The life of an ICC Marine"

It doesn't need to be a Marine but it is a catchy title.

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-10 20:32   
That might not be such a bad idea. But right now I'm kind of "warming up" for a larger narrative... setting up a plot universe and honing my skills, but I may consider it.
I also have a link to the gran-dad of this work at the top of this page, it has all the background for the technology used in this one.

Email 2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan   Goto the website of 2nd Rear Admiral Sobaan
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-10 21:26   
Cool.

Email Bobamelius
Page created in 0.008125 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR