No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » New Fiber Optic Chip Coming Soon (No Joke!)
 Author New Fiber Optic Chip Coming Soon (No Joke!)
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-04-04 08:02   
This article was published by the New York Times. Take it for what you want but if this thing can do what they claim it can, watch out IBM and Microsoft.

*****Newest Chip Combines Fiber Optics and Electronics*****

San Francisco – Luxtera, a small start-up based technology pioneered at the California Institute of Technology, on Monday a new class of silicon chips that blur the line between electronic computing and optical communications.

The chips, which contain both traditional electronic circuits and ultrathin conduits for laser light, herald the potential to blend the manufacturing prowess of the semiconductor world the ultrahigh-speed of laser optical networking.

The convergence of the two technologies is expected to have a major impact on the computing and communications industries. “This is the opening of a new field.” said Alan Huang, a physicist who pioneered optical communications research at Bell Laboratories during the 1980’s.

Luxtera, which is based in Carlsbad, California, said that it planned to introduce chips that would make inexpensive 10-Gigabit office networks possible in April 2006. The 10-Gigabit network would be a thousand times faster than those in use today.

YOU be the judge...

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-05 16:54   
Heat, I think that will be it's biggest problem. Other than that! Sweet!

StarHunt
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-05 19:22   
Wow, what a coincidence. I read about this the other day in a science news magazine. Think the way it works is laser light itself is used as a transistor. This allows a 10 times increase in the amount of information that can be sent.

If you read some of the news articles, IBM is in a race with this company and is working on making the same kind of improvement over copper lines, which would make the use of optical fiber unnecessary. I think this could also mean DSL speeds will see a similar increase in data transfer, because it uses copper phone lines.

Companies like Palestar would benefit alot from these technology improvements. This would greatly reduce or even eliminate lag when a large number of players are in the same area, by removing bottlenecks on motherboards and video cards, and by allowing faster download and upload speeds from internet providers.

However, I think that one of the most important things to happen for mmorphs is for video cards to become much less expensive. I was having lag problems using my 32mb onboard video, but after installing a decent 128mb video card, there was a huge improvement and almost all the lag is gone. Think any lag I get now is server side when alot of ships, missles, nukes and fighters are in the same area, but even then it is tolerable most of the time.

Now with PCI Express standard out, there might soon be a drop in price of PCI video cards (which is in no way the same or compatible with regular PCI).

[ This Message was edited by: StarHunt on 2005-04-05 20:24 ]

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-04-05 21:14   
We are the borg

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-04-15 09:14   
For those who didn't get to see this before, here you go.

(I am sorry, I know this doesn't have to do with this post but I am typing it in anyways before I forget it.) This guy in my command claims his brother helped write the Darkspace program..... Yeah Right.... I grilled him and he claimed he couldn't remeber what his brilliant brothers screen name was.

IMO I think he is a clown ...

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-04-15 12:50   
Unless his brother is Faustus

Did he at least have his REAL name? lol

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-15 13:19   
He could of worked for Blue Byte. Some people DID work with Faustus on DarkSpace...but I dont really know much about the business of DS.

Trekkie_zero
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-16 02:01   
Hmm Ive been hearing about that tech for a while, I always enjoy toying with the laser keyboards at computer shows, last one at CES they were discussing the precessor this post is about, it wouldnt have too much heat problems and if it did it would be just about as bad as the ones in the computers we're using to read and type these messages. Really the Silicon chip is hitting its limits and the only way for it to get better is to think of new ways to transfer the data... Light is one of those new ways, we'll probably be using that one for a while... We used electric currents for what 40-50 years and the smallest we could get it down to before we started to really have serious problems was 8 nanometers thick(problems like extreme heat...) So imagine what using light could get down to before we get to seriously overheating.

Page created in 0.013085 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR