No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +12.3 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Fightin' Words
 Author Fightin' Words
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-29 19:13   
Combat is clearly the primary activity in Darkspace. Everything else you can do is geared around supporting combat...whether that might be to build a planet that lets you build ships, supplying (repairing) a damaged unit, or bombing a planet so you can capture it so you can build ships.

To throw out a teaser, bigger is not always better.

Skilled pilots are those that have figured out how best to manage their power...everything else is actually part of that central theme...power.

For starters, you have to look at your available power continuously. Not just when you're jamming the space-bar and wondering why nothing is happening...and, always think about how you can increase it.

1) Speed. You don't always need to run around at maximum speed. Pick a speed suitable to conditions. If you're in a cruiser dodging torps, 15 is sufficient if you're not pointed directly at the enemy. Always consider whether you can afford to run at a much slower speed for even a few seconds.

As a personal example, when approaching enemies, I tend to run at maximum. But before or as I fire my first volley, I slow to 2/3rd's speed or less AND turn a bit to give me the opportunity to dodge incoming fire (or simply avoid it)

2) Fire only when you can hit. This is an art form. You have to learn how torps move and when they are likely to hit targets. Even Dreadnoughts can dodge fusion torps if the Dreadnought is flying at a 90 degree angle to the incoming torps at max speed...at ranges over 150 gu. Smaller ships that jink (weave in and out while flying), particularly destroyers and smaller, are extremely hard to hit. It's possible, but generally requires them to either not being paying attention, lagging, moving slowly, or very close to the firing unit (< 75 gu) and flying directly towards/away from you.

This is a power management topic because...it's worth it to fire if you're doing damage...it costs you precious power mid-battle if you have no chance of hitting.

3) Shields. If you're at 100%, turn them off (control+s) -- if you're out of power and running, they're low or gone anyways, turn them off. Turn them back on before engaging though.

4) Beams are most effective fired at close range....half or less of their maximums. CL2K's run out to a bit above 200 gu...smaller guns run about 60% of that (those aren't exact, but should be considered the maximum distances you even attempt to use them).

As a personal note, my preference is to fire heavy beam weapons at 150 gu or less.

Combining all of this, I should say I personally love to fly Assault Dreadnoughts. Some of the worst power hogs in the game, yet most effective combat units available. It also requires Admiral rank or higher.
It turns like a pig, but has 4 CL2K's and plenty of mid-ranged firepower.

It's use is best in packs (other AD's) and can kill smaller ships with ease, if flown well...despite the ability of destroyers to dodge. It's all about beam weapons AND the ability to create opportunities for your opponent to make mistakes.

To preserve power, I tend to maintain low speeds unless I have a specific task/goal that requires faster (pursuit, movement to a goal). I like to bait opponents that are trying to pick their engagement distance (close enough for them to guarantee torp hits yet outside my beam ranges)...and then ram the throttle upwards getting them inside my engagement ranges. Sometimes pointing away at a lower speed combined with a turn & increase in speed is what drives this. Your goal is one thing...get close and stay there. Most cruisers can put some distance between the two of you if they move straight...don't let them...but, considering that you wont' do much damage, don't fire many torps...fire a few to encourage them but save your power for your beam volleys. Done right, you can frequenly get 3 or more CL2K volleys at ranges of 130-200 gu each.

Close-Jumping. This is a game critical skill. It's what allows you to get close to a planet to drop infantry, or allows you to coordinate a close-jump with three Assault Dreadnoughts completely surrounding a single ship but still within 150gu each.

Start by going to speed 0 and jump to a planet. Generally it puts you about 150 gu from the planet center (just within orbit distance). The faster you go, the further out you appear as the game puts you at a safe reaction distance from the target spot. The way you close jump is to accurately judge just how far back a given speed will place you from the target spot...and lead the target. To drop a ship moving at 0 within 50gu of a target but just off to the side, place your target spot a little to the side and 120 beyond.

Learning when to do this mid-battle, and being able to guestimate the right spot in a second or less and being right...that's skill. Also, close-jumping while moving is better than not moving (it's harder) because you don't have to accelerate up to the speed of your (usually moving) target.

Pick your engagement time. If you close-jump a destroyer with an Assault Dreadnought in open space...most veterans are going to dodge or e-jump away. But, if you're in an interdictor field (planetary or ship based) you can get more than one volley into the target.

And, the collarary is, don't engage when it's suicide. Always watch the battle around you. Even when you're heavily engaged, noticing that three ships just jumped in (even though they're 1000 gu out at the moment) is critical because it affects where you need to go. The closer they get, the more they affect you even before they open fire because you need to be prepared to react to them. Don't run at the first sign of damage, but always try to fly in groups when possible - there's safety in numbers.

Nax

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-29 19:27   
Hmmm - occurred to me I'd probably catch some flak for talking about using an Assault Dreadnought over here in the Tactics & New Players forum.

First thing to add is - As a new player, pay attention to the Dreadnoughts of all the factions, but mostly the combat versions. This would be:

Battle Dreadnought
Elite Assault Dreadnought

Combat Dreadnought
Assault Dreadnought

Siphon
Mandible
Ganglia

Knowing what you fight is much more important than knowing your own ship. Skilled pilots (and yes, not all people that can fly these ships are skilled pilots) will simply slaughter you if you let them in these ships. Don't run, just try not to let them get close

(I'll be honest, you can't stop me from getting close if I want to do so - but you can make it harder and try to lead me to your friends that will make it very difficult and possibly more dangerous than normal)

The bright side is, just flying these ships doesn't make you insta-dead...and, not all pilots are created equal. Some are more *effective* than others. My advice is, watch and learn who to respect. Take claims of being a combat *god* with a grain of salt...watch what actually happens in game under fire.

Nax

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-29 19:39   
As far as I knew shields default to 0% when you turn them off...has that changed? If not NEVER turn your shields off, they take forever to turn back on and can't be repaired...also, since this is newbie I though I'd add some tips for flying smaller ships (since I do that more than big ships, big fan of current cruisers here though in beta they're less than worthless)

Scouts: Fly at 20 gu or more minimum speed, move around A LOT...you have to dodge fire to survive and this thing can dodge anything short of beams...

Frigates: 17.5 gu should be your min here (except harrier, that thing can afford to go at 15) and you should try to dodge everything though you will get hit with a ton of part. cannons and beams

Destroyers: If you're in teh newbie server, fly these like they're dreads because there they essentailly are. Otherwise fly them like mini-cruisers, dodge as much fire as you can but don't worry about it too much...your power becomes important here for pretty much the first time ESPECIALLY as k'luth. I can't say this enough, as luth ALWAYS turn your cloak off when fighting or you will run out of power...

Cruisers: Run at 15 gu when fighting anything BUT a dread, there run about 17-20 gu so you can be faster than them. If you're fighting a dread or station bombard them while flying past them at high speed, otherwise use this like a mini-dread.

When fighting smaller ships get close so you don't miss. Stay a good distance from larger ships for the same reason (and because they can't dodge well).

If you choose the incredably unrewarded task of flying an interdictor cruiser, go 16 gu at all times. Fire your weapons ONLY when you are absolutely SURE they will hit, power on this thing is like water in the sahara. If there are no enemies nearby turn off your dictor field so your energy can recharge. If all nearby enemies are at high health and your power is running low turn off dictor till one of the enemies is at 75% or less hull. NEVER I repeat NEVER simply hit f then i on an enemy you want to keep in the dictor field. Not only is there a good chance they're badly damage your ship but if they have any brains at all they'll accelerate to max speed so as to drain your energy and evade fire...I can't tell you the number of dictors I've run out of power then e-jumped from much to the surprise of the not too bright dictor user...the most vital skill for a dictor user is close jumping, good use of this can keep an enemy pinned and your power near max...jump only when the enemy is at 800 gu or more and you'll do fine.

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-29 20:02   
I've not played as long as some, but have been playing ICC almost continuously since joining (check my profile) - and I've never known the shields to go to 0% during that time.

Rest of your material is helpful.

I still contend though that while it seems minor, that modifying you speed continuously is a game-critical technique. Sure, run that cruiser at 15 gu until you're far enough away from opponents to not need to dodge...then run at 5-8 (moving towards enemies) until they turn to approach then jog it up to 15 again and turn away.

Nax

Quistis {C?}
Cadet
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2005-03-29 20:13   
Good stuff Fornax

Alien Mastermind
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-03-29 20:22   
Hey, I've decided to add my own share; I've already posted this in our own fleet forums but hey you guys can read it too

-------

My favourite ship:
Claw, modded with ame's, amjd, all AM torps, 2 efl and 3 ruptors. Number all your weapons into groups. I number all elf to 1, all ruptors to 2, all torps to 3. If you do not know how to set hotkeys to your weapons, ask. I will explain.

CLAW VS. CRUISER

I know some will be tempted to use flux. I do not recommend it. Unless you only mount one, which is a very good idea. Don't listen to the anti-flux whiners. It's in the game, use it. But do not refit all your heavy weapon slots with flux, because it will limit your versatility. You would only be able to hit one ship and run, because you have no weapons to work with and no energy. And you get a VERY low damage/time rate. Also, flux works best when in close range. Do that in a dessy and you're dead.

It is best to get into a position in front of the cruiser, and let him/her marvel at the fact that he got your tail. It doesn't matter, because cruisers have full mount weapons anyway. You have the 4 torps, full mount, which is more than enough to bring armor/shields down in a few volleys. Stay out of heavy beam range. Keep moving at the cruiser's speed. You need to be in front of the cruiser because your torps will be very likely to hit him, while his/her torps will probably miss. For this to happen, keep turning, hopefully he will turn right after you to stay on your tail (this is good).

Always start by using torps. AM torps are best because they deliver the strongest damage per torp. This is good when fighting the most common enemy, a cruiser. This is because you will rarely get a direct hit, so you can't fire until you detonate your previous volley as it gets close to the enemy. Keep firing torps until the armor/shields drop to 0% on that side of the ship. Once the armor/shields are down, get close and fire ruptors and elf at the same time Do this because armor/shields block the effect of elf. Ruptors will deliver constant damage to keep armor/shields at 0% while elf is doing its work.

By this time the cruiser will want to run. If not, keep firing all you got at the enemy, but always use elf and ruptors together.

This pretty much sums up how I own AC's in a little claw... hehe.

CLAW VS. DREAD

When fighting dreads, keep sending in volleys of torps. Dont worry about staying in front of them because they are to slow to turn. If you turn at their rate you will be unable to dodge any torps. Just stay out of beam range and bombard with torps.

How to use beams against dreads:

When facing a dread alone:

When your torps have completely disabled armor/shields, go into the enemy's beam range for a very short time. That means get no closer than about 240-250 GU from the enemy, then dart out asap. That will cause the enemy to use its beams on you, but
a) CL's are very ineffective at max range and
b) you will immediately get out of beam range, therefore receiving minimal damage.

After this maneuver is completed successfully, go back in close to the target and use all beams (elf and ruptors). In this case elf is mandatory, since by now the dread will likely be low on energy (and btw, so will you). If this is the case the elf will drain energy from the enemy's weapons and render them temporarily unavailable. Remember to always use elf with ruptors, since recharging shields will take away much of the elf gain.

When accompanied by a wingman:

Same tactic applies here, BUT:
When your partner does the maneuver described above, go in immediately and do the same. Take turns with this. The effect here is doubled, as only one ship can be targeted with beams at one time. So after the enemy has fired its beams on your mate go in immediately and fire elf/ruptors. Then your partner will wait a few seconds to let the enemy's energy recharge (evil, I know) and go in to use elf/ruptors. Be cautious not to wait too long or the enemy's CL weaponry will load. If it loads and you go in close to fire elf, you are dead. One full volley of an AC or an EAD at close range will likely cripple you.

I hope that from this you learn that it is best to use claws in pairs, or even better, in threes. I am not the first one to point this out, many vets have called this the "wolf pack". I'm sure those from Evil know of this well .

-------

Good day to you all.

Email Alien Mastermind
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-03-30 13:19   
Time to bring in my own 2 guns.

Im UGTO player, and since there hasn't been much imput on it here, I think I'll start it off. (I assume Jacfk will likely imput something too about EADs, but ill do my fair share.).

UGTO ships are basically the average ships. Their Torps, engines (that you can build but not many use) etc. etc. are average. But not generally used.

UGTO ships, are also designed for most damage over time. In the right hands, any UGTO ship can outlast any ship on the opossing team in terms of power, mobility, and efficiency.

This is a major advantage. Though not commonly used.

Whether most do it or not, I tend to put reactors on my ships, due mainly it improves an already great advantage, at the cost that you wont see any Luth ships . But still, a good thing in my book.

So what does this mean? UGTO ships can cruise at a higher speed and continue to lob firepower whichever way, longer. Depending on your weapons of course.

I'm going to use the EAD as an example (since its my favorite ship, and I use it most often.) The EAD can be the true workforce of the UGTO fleet, mainly because it can outlast any AD or Siphon/Gangila/Mandible in a firefight.

Why? I outload my EAD with AM torps, but for conservation purposes, put in F Torps. Less power, less energy, better guidance, more ammo. Great choice of energy hogging ships. Combined with 4 CL2ks that singular EMP cannon, 2 Reactors, the usual AME/AMJD stuff, 2 CL550s and 2 Pulse, it can last a LONG time.

When used correctly that is.

Setting pulse to PD, and grouping your weapons, you can make excellent useage of your energy. Pulse lasers take almost no energy so you can always leave them on. The rest of the lasers should be kept OFF PD, but ill get back to that. And torps should be all grouped as well. (Put your EMP there too if you like.)

As Nax has said, using your torpedos wisely is important. They can lay waste to your energy, and should only be fired when you have a strong belief that they can hit, or be detonated.

Actually, detonating torps is a very, very important tactic. This ensures that if you do miss, you can still do the damage. Alot of damage (particularly AM torps) can be dealt from the splash damage. This is why you group your torps. Just hit Shift + Group #, and it'll detonate the torps, compared to shift+space which detonates everything and turns PD on/off.

So how do you know when to fire? Its more instinct thats aquired through battle but there are some obvious times. Never, and I repeat never fire your torps in a chain unless your enemy is moving slowly or not at all, or is moving towards you within 120gu or away from you at the same distance.

This ensures you can still det your torps without wasting them. It also saves energy.

EADs, can cruise at 20gu/sec and maintain power with fireing torps successivly. Though, its only recommended when dodging torp fire. 13-15 gu/sec is recommended at longer ranges (350-500 gu) but any closer you need max speed.

There are important things to note when engaging an enemy and fireing on it -

• Know what your enemy is, and what it may have equipped.
  • Note it's position to you, how fast you can guess its going, and its turning direction.
  • Keep a watchful eye on enemy ships.
  • Note your ammo, your energy, sig, etc. etc. BEFORE fireing the first shot.
  • Make sure you have an escape route already planned.

However, while shooting torp, also only fire when they are turning towards you or away from you (after they arc around, not before.). That way if they miss, you can still detonate for the splash damage.

Also, as Nax stated, close jumping is a vital skill. Especially for the EAD. At max speed for EAD, you need to aim about 700gu or so ahead of your target, and hit the spacebar even before you come out of jump. Now we get to your lasers.

The EAD's lasers are the singular most important thing on there. 4 Cl2k's are mean to any ship, and closer your target is, the better. Which is why you group your torps to another slot, so you don't fire them prematurely (the lasers). The only time, and I mean the ONLY time you should hit the space bar is within 150gu of your target at the least.

The Cls on the EAD are its power, and you should never fire them before they can do the most possible damage.

The EAD alone however, is begging to die, so always attack with some form of support. Whether its a few cruisers or ever a few supplys, never attack alone.

So whats the best method of attack? Shooting at the back of people. It may seem cheap, but its the best way. If you go max speed behind an enemy dread at 150gu range or ever 170, it is screwed. Getting behind your enemy is very important, and making sure no one gets behind you is even more so.

-Ent

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-30 18:41   
EAD...my ship...the ship for any UGTO player that has the rank Admiral and above.

Its possibly, in my opinion, the most powerful ship in the game. With a few tweaks, it can become what you want it to be at any given moment.

First rule to piloting an EAD, get some Reactor 1500's on there. The main advantage of the EAD is its sheer power managment. The 4 AME's and two 1500's along with ZERO drain at high speeds makes the EAD DEADLY. You can cruse this thing around the battlefield at 20gu's without losing energy when firing torps.

If you mod out the P torps for F torps (for long range damage) your going to want to keep that enemy at 520gu untill its armour + shielding are down enough for the beams to do their work. The beams alone can take off the side plating or entire armour off a kluth ship in ONE alpha at under 120 gu. Always ALWAYS save them till last minute if you can. If your not sure of the distance, wait untill your CL 550's activate and then hit that 6 button.

You want more power? Put 6 AM torps in there, make that thing REALLY deadly, if you get within AM torp range, let me tell you...the enemy will KNOW it. Mash that spacebar untill he's dead or limping out.

Something EAD pilots do, and this is a big nono, is mod out that EMP cannon. When the side plates are down and you fire that weapon, system are going to go DOWN. It may not seem like a lot, but its that few extra seconds and energy going down the drain for your enemy, and sabots/psi arnt going to be much better, if that.

Lasty, ROTATE the EAD. Its armour is awesome, 1 full armour, and the rest section, meaning your first strike can be wherever you want it to be, just as long as after that you keep moving along the lines of 400-500 gu away so their torps miss due to your speed, but yours hit. You will either force them to withdraw because of low energy, or they will die.

If you want a bit more defence from fighters and missiles, swap the two full 550's out for pulse lasers, it may not seem like a lot, but those 3 larvae arnt going to be much use if you have pulse onboard.

One very important tactic is Torp Deting. Putting it simply...Manualy detonating your torpedoes. I think today, its forgotten among many and not used my some new-ish players. Simply fire your torps, if they JUST miss, hit the shift + (whatever button your torps are binded too) and watch their hull/armour/shield drop.

EAD is to put it simply, the BEST station killer in the game. Keep moving full speed at 300-500 gu's away from the station and it cant hit you, but you can sure as hell hit it. keep pelting its armour, NO station can withstand 4 F torps at full RoF for that long. As long as it hasnt got supply support (and even then it has to have some to defend itself). If anyone comes to stop you, show them who's boss and kick their ass with the tactics above, but keep in mind to stay away from the station and ease away slowly, as 7 torps (minumum from a station) is going to hurt if they hit you, and F torps HOME very well. So keep your pull away relitavly slow so the torps dont home in.

The last tactic is the full speed jump. At 20gu's, target roughly 600-650 gu's infront of the target and hit J, I garantee you will land within CL2k distance.

Im keeping my most kept secrets for the EAD, close to my heart, as I dont want everyone flying around in one like me .

I've just copy and pasted this from my old guide book that I wrote for DS and never finished, so appologise if it is like Ents post.

*Edit*Damn it is.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-03-30 18:51 ]

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-30 21:12   
Most of what I write about the AD applies to the EAD. The AD just has more power management issues to worry about. After flying it, the EAD is living on easy_street. Thing I don't like about the EAD are torp arcs.

Also, although others think the EAD is better, most of my experiences against EAD's have been with the AD winning. While my gut says the AD is better, it may be due to other circumstances.

One thing to reiterate though...all of the posted additional ideas are either a way to get more bang for your buck (detting helps avoid 'wasting' torp fire)...and the rest are all closely tied to power management. It's not how you kill your enemies, but it is the background technique that allows you to do so more easily.

And lastly, a personal opinion. I do not self-detonate my own torps very often. Again, my gut instinct is counter to the conventional wisdom - I feel it is frequenly better to save the power and wait for the near guaranteed hit (and det those if necessary) versus fire all the torps I can and det hoping I'll get damage.

Nax

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-03-30 22:46   
One on one, I would have to say an assault dread is better than an EAD simply for the fact that once you close jump him, you can shift all your shield power to the arc needed, whereas once you get his armor down, it is like cracking through a lobster shell. Also, the four weapon slots are nice, and hitting the EAD in the rear more than makes up for the power restrictions of the AD.

Puppies gotta die, too.

Page created in 0.020696 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR