No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +16.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » My experiances in beta...
 Author My experiances in beta...
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-19 10:52   
The short version...beta, in it's current incarnation, is not fun at all.

The Long version...beta isn't fun because the small ships are too weak, and the big ships are too strong. Just a coupld minutes ago I pulled out a combat dessie (I'm lt. commander in beta) and modded it as best I could (pulse, ame's, and that's it...because railguns can't be switched for anything) and proceeded to jump into a nice fight one of our combat dreads was having with a luth mandible. I alpha the mandbile 16 times (looked at rail gun ammo) and did a whopping 2% armor dmg...the mandible then proceeded to close jump me, and by the time I'd hit f2, clicked sag hotha, and hit o I was dead. This is no fun, I couldn't touch him no matter what I did, but he can insta-gib me without any real skill at all (close jumping is easy when your speed is 0gu). I really think the armor systems on all ships, and the weapons systems also, need to be relooked. The current system is fun becuase with the proper modding I can turn a combat dessie into a dread hunter, and do a significant amount of damage to them. The beta is not fun becuase no matter what I do to my dessie it'll still die in one alpha from a dread, and I can't even get him below 96% armor...please look at this...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Trekkie_zero
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-19 13:04   
Binks your right beta is no fun for a rank of Lt. Commander unless no one makes you a target, because of the fact that in beta the factories arent activated yet and you cant get the heavier armors unless a Admiral or someone with a CD gives it to you... So when your able to mod through buying you should be a lot better off until then I guess youll have to hope you find the heavier armors and railguns can be switched out with one other gun. Lvl 8 railguns those things can tear right through a dreads armor if done right.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-19 14:02   
A Mandy has level 8 ruptors. Unless you had level 8 everything, dont expect to be doing much damage, or be taking much.

Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-19 20:58   
I say don't go up against a K'luth Mandabile Dread with a destroyer.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Captain Sternn
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-20 19:59   
when i first heard about the new version of ds being planned the original idea that i got was that the smaller ships would be playing a bigger role in DS not less...as what has seemed to occur.In the current release you can mod the little ships to be alot more powerful than stock, beta as it is right now i dont think this is true now.

well i believe that the big ships are too powerful against little ships, this is MORE realistic i agree if it were real (this may come as a bit of a shock to some hardcore players but DS is a game after all...hehe) there is no realistic expectaion for a small ship like a destroyer to pwn a dread but to do only 2-3 percent armour damage is also a bit unrealistic, against a cruiser a destroyer fares only a slightly bit better but the result is the same. maybe 10-15 percent armour damage maybe more i havent fully tested it out...but definately no hull damage and unless it has been changed combat damage and prestige is based off hull damage.

most players have had their prestige transferred and havent really seen just how feeble the little ships are now (or if they have ...they wont be flying one again anytime soon i'd wager).I'm guilty of it too...albeit after i had the chance to fly some of those deathtraps.

there has to be some more work done on the smaller ships , and i dont think that modding them up with level 8 stuff is really gonna make that much of a difference.

FACTS DS needs to attract and keep new players and having no way to gain prestige in combat isn't going to do it...sure you can make prestige in other ways but unless the tactic here is to steal players from the game that shall nEVEr be mentioned ( as combat doesnt seem to be a huge priorty for those kinds of players) other than that i dont see it working and if people had to only build or supply to make prestige well it kinda makes the point of having the smaller ships ...welll pointless.

something along the lines of making the smaller ships better equiped for close combat weaving in and out and in between the bigger ships would be the way to go imo.I can hear some already saying that the smaller ships shouldn't be anywhere near a dread...but hear me out.

the small ships have speed...they could maybe use a little more.The big ships guns need to have their ranges modified so the higher the level the longer the range yes ...but it would also move the minimum range out too so a ship that mounts only higher level weapons wont have any close up weapons (this is only realistic as say the big guns on a battleship cant target something right next to it) this would require that when people mod their ships they have to find a balance between range and close up protection.this opens a niche for the small ships to fill engaging the enmey right up close like the old torpedoe boats of WWII. fast.. manueverable
yet can still deal a blow to a larger vessel.

this isn't a be all solution far from it...just an idea,

p.s. for those that scrolled down because they thought this was too long...go back and read it hehe.

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Stern on 2005-03-20 20:00 ]

WinterRose
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-21 00:32   
Personally.. I think the main problem we have is that, well, what do you do, if you're in a dread and you want to take out a scout bugging you? Do you shoot your railguns or torps at it? Not really. You may do it, but what you truely do, is close jump and bring those highly painful CL2ks/Ruptors to bear and pop it. I think perhaps laser weapons should be adjusting, to have a random shot on smaller ships to do much less damage due to the amount of speed they have. Say the laser aiming systems just can't handle the dodging and weaving a scout is able to, say, 'focus' the beam on it's target.

I mean, realistic or not, point defense, a missle isn't as armored, even the size of it, the missle is just overwhelmed by being targetted for even a split second. But the scout/frigates/dessies, can take this damage and adjust their speed to mess up aiming.

Just generally, slightly nerf beams from dreads towards two ship classes down. maybe the same with cruisers.. Ala, a dread can't do as much damage as it would do to another dread or cruiser with it's beams, and the cruiser hurts other cruisers and dessies, but not so much frigates.

I dunno, just my two cents.

Email WinterRose
Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-03-21 01:59   
think i have pointet to this problem in more posts but gona agree and repeat here.

there should be more focus on the entry lvl ships

they need some advantages to make upfor the less armor / weapons

mostly its the problem with speed im conserned about

with icc layouts its hard to run the smaller ships at 1/3 speed and still retain / reload the shild.

for kluth frigates / destoyers its even more silly you cant in the surposed fastest ships run at more than 1/4 speed and still retain power for the cloake (worse if you also have to recharge weapons / jd same time )

and you cant make up for it by installing bigger weapons or armor since these things just slow them down even more.

this could be solved by making an spicial lvl engines for light armored ships scout/frigate/destoyer that makes them go realy fast.

im talking ships that can actuly run from torpedeos and missiles (frigates)
?

i know that new engine spec is not in yet but still all small ships should have an advantage out of stock put against the bigger ships.

i have never been much for dred space and allways talked against it.

so focus on small ships plz

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
James Bum007
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-03-21 08:24   
[quote]
p.s. for those that scrolled down because they thought this was too long...go back and read it hehe.

hehehe I did scrolled down, but I did not go back and read it again was too tired but I got the point.

Email James Bum007
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-21 10:26   
Problem is, people who have earned the right to pilot a dread, want it to be a DREADnaught. Its meant to be dreaded, if this goes the way like it did with kluth, we will find people piloting destroyers because they can easily take out a dread. You have to get realistic, dreads are meant to be able to own a scout/frigate/destroyer. Its what they do, and as it is with dreads being able to go 8 gu/s (as tael said). I dont think anyone will want to pilot them, because they are boring, and cant do anything worth a dam (appart from shoot superweapons which again, just seem wrong to me).

Captain Sternn
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-21 18:59   
no i dont think a destroyer should be able to pwn a dread...just be able to do more than 1 percent armour damage and still get away.....

Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-21 20:35   
Stern, I for one think that the new ICC Assault Scout is by far an improvment over the ICC scouts we have now. Their upgraded weapons and shield systems make it a better ship.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-03-22 04:36   
Quote:

On 2005-03-21 10:26, BackSlash *Jack* [R33-HG] wrote:
You have to get realistic, dreads are meant to be able to own a scout/frigate/destroyer

thats true still they should not be able to catch up to them speed wise

with the new layouts on all 2/3 classes of light ships there is not gona be much chance for them to take out an dred

(destoyers icc/ugto/kluth should be able to do some dammage in when attacking in packs though AEGIS Destroyer *... anyone ).

but they should still be able to doge anything that get trown at them from larger ships and outrun them speed wise.

*AEGIS Destroyer is one of the most powerfull ships in the world of naval warfair next to the carriers.

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-22 17:25   
Okay, admittedly the current release is balaced against dreads, small ships are a bit too powerful. But as one person said earlier I should've been able to do more that 4% armor dmg to him with all of my weaponatry...I was jsut really angry at the time of this post so it comes off pretty bad, it's not fun to spend 10 min. modding a dessie and use up a good deal of your money, then jump in to save a friendly dread getting owned by an enemy dread and be unable to even hurt the guy...then when I run I get isnta-gibbed...just not fun...