No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Ship Design Notes [2005-02-06 update]
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Ship Design Notes [2005-02-06 update]
Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-02-08 16:09   
i must agree here we need those big surply ships that can take a beating

and dont call stations/hive surply ships plz they cant actuly move so well around a battelfield.

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-02-08 16:15   
Isolated the bit of code that made the QST so hard to hit with. It was locked in a fixed port forward only mount.

Switched it to turrent so it can sweep the whole forward arc. With testing we have determined that manual detonation of it can be very successful so with the easier targetting we will not make it smart for now.

Also damage was upped by 50%, ideally it will only raise 25% higher than current, but I want to test it at 150% before reducing it back down.

Email Tael
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-08 17:54   
Heavy Transport managed to take on 3 dreads and a BC for about a minute with only going down to 20 hull....me thinks thats a bit much.

EAD only has 2 light, one medium one heavy torp. Change this to 2 med or 2 heavy imho, would make it look better.

Battle cruiser ....... also known as the epileptic ship....jebus christ lord almightly ... that thing almost had me in a fit with 3 of them doing it.

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2005-02-08 17:58   
Wasnt the reason the QST was fixed that otherwise it wouldnt take a genious to fire a QST at all?

As i recall the reason it was fixed was to give fleets some chance of surviving an initial LONG range attack... if the gunner has poor aim then theyr in luck.

And it not that hard to miss if your 3500Gu away, i know i fired a QST at ya from that distance... only missed it by a dreads width... and from what i hear that REALY nasty for a fleet.

IF you gonna put em on that you better make it a bit slower or the fleet wont have ANY time to react...

then again we prolly need to test this new version first

- Axi

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-02-08 18:58   
again i reitterate, these are the "stock" ships, once you get em you are able to go and upgrade them at a shipyard (once its completed). Ships are not going to be uber when stock.

Email Tael
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2005-02-09 21:11   
But that should apply to shield/armor too, not just weapons. Right now, a stock ship takes forever to kill another stock ship...thus implying that when all ships are fully-upgraded, it will STILL take a long time for an upgraded ship to kill another upgraded ship.

Of course, not all ships are in yet...and we should really wait until they are before balance tweaking.

Email Jim Starluck
Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-10 20:13   
Quote:

On 2005-02-08 11:01, AdmBito wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-02-08 08:38, Lord Downey (UK) wrote:
Probably been said but i cant find it,
Why no build on a uggie command Dread?

From what I've heard, all the command ships (ganglia, command carrier, command dread) are losing their reload bays. Too bad, really. Thats what made them worth flying.

Ok now this I take issue with

Like Bito said
Quote:
Thats what made them worth flying.

I mean now we have to either grab an engy OR hope a FA is present with a build so we can rebuild a planet once we cap it. The fact that a Gang could swap it's build for a reload is the very thing that makes it so evil. It negates the constant need for a FA with a Hive, OR a FA who doesn't want to just Camp his Hive at the planet (boring) and Build / supply can get out into combat with a Ganglia. The Gang has been one of the few ships that always actually lived up to the name "Dread".

The fact that The Command Dread could swap its build for a reload is what made it so useful! The build is where it takes the name "Jack of all Trades" It could build and bomb, with modification it can provide mass ECCM, Scanners, ECM, Beacons, and even mining beams. As it stands now it is "Just a Battle Dread with bombs"

Aside from it's Build and PD I have never seen any real use for the ICC Command Carrier, and with the loss of it's build and reload capibilites I doubt we will ever see one again in the MV.............it becomes even less that the UGTO Carrier Dread (aka lag boat aka Newbie's 1st Dread)

I think it is great (and long over due) that the Command Dread can in fact "hold it's own" as is advertised (something it could never do before) with the addition of more weaponry and the additional bombs are sweet too but.............. again..........glorified Battle Dread with bombs.

The Command Ships (Ganglia, Command Dread, & Command Carrier) should have their Builds and Reload options returned so that they can be what they should be "Command ships" The ship in control until an FA in a Station arrives, The Planet def while the planet is under construction, The Depot in orbit.

Also I noticed that the ICC version of the Heavy supply and the Kluth advanced worker have been upgraded to a level with the UGTO Hvy suppy. This is great I think and also long overdue (especially in the case of the ICC brick) I only hope that the UGTO hvy suppy does't find itself being "nerfed" and while The Kluth worker and UGTO hvy suppy both have a large scale wepon (Disruptors, and Flux cannons) I would hope to see the ICC version get something aswell (1 hvy beam perhaps? or Pulse Wave would be nice I bet).

I generally only fly The TC, Hvy Suppy, and Command Dread, and I look forwrad to the changes in them and other ships (MAY actually fly an EAD one day) Stations are ok but while I love to hug I hate to hug planets

The Command ships SHOULD be able to Bomb, build, and Defend Planets.

The Heavy versions of the supply ships SHOULD be able to fly INTO battle alongside their Dreads and Crusiers, and defend both themselves AND any wounded ship it jumps out to repair if it has been tracked.

However aside from my issues with the Command Ships (and the Nerfing of PCM IMO) I so far love eveything I have seen.

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-02-10 20:27   
The old ICC Command Carrier, the one with armor, was a helluva lot of fun to fly. With its 4 fighters, mounted sabots and the reload, it could kick some ass. And since it mounted 3 ECCM or a bunch of beacons, it was a must in battles with kluth. Now, with no reload, it will be like all the other dreads. Maybe an ICC version of the Battle Dread.

Puppies gotta die, too.

Ragglock
Marshal

Posted: 2005-03-01 10:04   
i for one must agree and say it again

the command dreds are extiencial ships on all factions

the best support / build / defence vessels thats been in game since ....

weak in battel by itself but good when used as support ship with larger fleets.

strip them as bomber dreds (do realy need more ships that can bomb ?)

as for the ugto command dred allways seamed a little to weak could need a few upgrades, off go the bombs mabye give it some of the new super weapons or a dictor .

Ragglock
Marshal

Posted: 2005-03-01 10:25   
i have a note on the kluth stations

all fighter bays have arc based fighters would be best if they got full arch on fighter bays in my opnion.

as for arch on torps and beams thats nice and makes for betterpower manegement and pd

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-02 15:30   
I have to agree. Full Arc fighters seems better, if not for all ships then at least the stations. All Factions not just Kluth.

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-02 18:21   
was modding a uggy BD, had a partical cannon (L8, fore/right/left) that fired both partical cannon shots and an AR missile. and an AR missile (L0, fore/left) that dry-fired, audio effect and reload only, no projectile

uggy command dread, cant swap either factory created pcms are not weapon1 or you cant swap weapon1 pcms with weapon1 partical cannons. and whats with the railguns on the cd?

side note- items in starports REALLY need to be sorted some how, preferably by item class. ie weapon1s, weapon2s, weapon3's, beam1's etc.. lost 4 pcms in the port chaos, possibly due to too many items being in the port (sag hotha)

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-03-03 19:51   
Battle Cruiser has one Fore P-torp and one Fore/right p-torp

Goto the website of Drafell
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-16 00:28   
Quote:

On 2005-02-08 18:58, Tael wrote:
again i reitterate, these are the "stock" ships, once you get em you are able to go and upgrade them at a shipyard (once its completed). Ships are not going to be uber when stock.

Stock ships should be at least useful, or the divide between a modded/upgraded and stock far smaller. Losing a modded/upgraded ship to lag/planet/bugs is very annoying. IMO they should be combat-ready ships, where you only mod to suit the ship for a specific purpose (long range vs short etc) or upgrade to give yourself that extra edge.
Not mod to get rid of those horrible IT, or upgrade so you can actually break the enemy armour.

On another topic, because of cloak dropping inf with any luth ship appears to have become overly easy. I found it simply a matter of moving close cloaked and going K-U-K. The planet or any defenders had no hope of getting me or the inf. Seems a little easy.

I understand beta isn't finished, I'm just sharing my observations and opinions on its current state... looking forward to further additions, completion of the level system

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-18 22:28   
Couple comments from my experiance...

Fighters are worthless...had an enemy sit next to my planet, getting pounded by the def base 2's and a good number (don't remember, at least 4) fighter base 2's...he was in an extractor and barely took any dmg from the particle cannons. Railbeams, particle cannons, and psi cannons (basic ones) need a large damage increase if planets are ever gonna be able to scare ememies off...also, had an enemy fire larvae at me from long distance while in an extractor...they open fire and both of them (as well as the 5 from the planet) hit me...almost no armor dmg...I regenerated the damage before their second attack...please fix this, basic fighters and railguns are worthless, which is bad because you no longer have the option to swap them out for high dmg sabots...which leads me to my second point...

Why so little variety? I know I haven't seen all the weapons out there (because facs can't build most of them, and I'm stuck as lt. commander till whoever's doing the prestige stuff finds some extra time or I get 100 prestige) but still, you took out some great options. For example, why was the ability to switch torps for missles and visa versa removed? That gave you the option to fight at long distance or close...but what really annoys me is the removal of (as far as I can tell) all weapons you can swap for railguns/part cannons/psi cannons done? I loved being able to choose between long-medium range high ammo weapons and short range, innacurate, high dmg guns...are there any weapons coming in the fac update which can be switched for railguns? At the present time it seems to me like you're saying stock ships will have an incredably hard time killing other stock ships so we should mod them, but then giving us at most 1 gun to switch it with...We really should have the choice of 3 or more different weapons per weapon type except for specials (QST, EMP wave, Flux, PCMs etc.). It looks to me, in my humble opinion, like your making ships almost impossible to kill without changing weapons, then making it impossible to change weapons, am I jsut missing the revistions to come w/ the factory patch?

[ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2005-03-18 22:30 ]