No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +15.1 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Meditation classes via DS/Teamspeak
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Meditation classes via DS/Teamspeak
Malarthi
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-07 22:23   
Because no one seems to get the point. This is NOT MEDICAL. This is not in any way phycotheraputic or anything else relating to the mind. You don't need a degree to help a friend. If you want, I'll send out release and indemna freaking cation binding legal agreements to each and every single person who attends. This is stupid, this is assaine, and most of all, it is a waste of time and energy. Either this will happen because people are interested in learning to meditate, or people who want to nitpick will shoot this and every other god-damned idea that I have to ashes and atoms...
My appologies for sound so harsh, but it is late, this is useless, and I had HELL for a day. I kid you not, hell has nothing on today... But whatever. Stop it or I'll just call off the whole damned formality and get people together impromptu style. Also, Backslash raises a good point. Is he in the wrong for giving advice to people without proper certification. After all, wouldn't he be teaching someone, or even worse, assisting them with technical support? Is that wrong? I ask this as an honest question and not to start a stalling flame war. Flame elsewhere, not here. This thread has already gone way to far off topic, and I am considering remaking it every time someone decides to post off topic until you all get the point.

Photox [F|F|I]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-08 06:37   
Quote:

On 2005-02-07 22:23, Darkdna(Modlet) wrote:
Because no one seems to get the point. This is NOT MEDICAL. This is not in any way phycotheraputic or anything else relating to the mind. You don't need a degree to help a friend. If you want, I'll send out release and indemna freaking cation binding legal agreements to each and every single person who attends.

If it isnt medical it can be seen as religious and as such shouldnt be dicussed in DS forums(thats the way im reading the RoC).

Let the flaming continue.....

Helping friends trough teamspeak is giving them religious advising should DS as community support such a action?

........"CALL TO ME AND I WILL HEAL YOU"- My Skype call name is phot.......

:8 oh whatever....have fun

Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-08 08:32   

Anyway, and this is not a flame. Whatever you feel, meditation is psychotherapeutic. i am not allowed to teach meditation to my patients, i am not qualified to do so. I can teach relaxation techniques and medication management, and i can teach cognitive behavioural therapy, etc. I spent 5 years at university, first three as a registered mental health nurse, the last two updating to a masters. And i still cannot teach meditation. Rightly so. Just because the internet enables you to reach a billion people does not give you the right or knowledge to teach. In the field i work there is strong evidence of abuse by practitioners of all disciplines, its why we are regulated and have enhanced police checks. The abuse is not neccesarly deliberate and usually comes through lack of knowledge. I am getting on a high horse because its my profession. And i make no apologies for doing so. Playing with peoples minds is a dangerous game if applied without the knowledge to back it up. Meditation is not rocket science, but still requires a level of professionalism and also a dgeree of empathy, warmth and positive self regard in order to be effective. This is not intended to be a lecture in ethical practice, but ethics is important in the humanistic sciences.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Malarthi
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-08 22:41   
Downey, you may even be right, but the utter arrgence of what you are saying makes me want to IM you with a list of every obscinity I can think of. I ought to do that at some point just to get it out of my system. No harm intended if I do, just venting steam...

On to the point. I have clarified my inital post. I am no longer teaching. I am now advising, much as Backslash does. Does this make it any different. I certainly don't claim to be a certified teacher, and I would hate for anyone to think that I am doing anything more than simply sharing what I have learned and asking if that is helpful to you in any way, and expounding on what I think or do when asked.

By the way, Buddhism (which is how I discovered meditation) has a dualistic nature much like light, it is both a religion and a frame of mind. In the way I am talking about it, it is simply a set of tools that have enabled me to remain calm and able to function in stressful situations. I do not bow to anyone, I do not praise the Buddha's name, I do not make pilgrimages to far away places. I simply sit, wait, and occasionally fast.

My appologies through all of this if I come off as being angery (or stupid in spelling/grammar). I am currently writing this after 14 hours of straight work, with 8 hours of sleep before that, so I am a bit messed up. I am not angery, just frustrated that people do not understand what I am trying to communicate. I always try to remain calm, but very little can anger me. Annoy me, yes, as you are doing Lord Downey, but not anger. I hold nothing against anyone who has posted here, and I would hope that you hold nothing against me. I can see your points of view, and I disagree, but nothing more.

Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-08 23:45   
I understand you perfectly Darkdna. However, since you have the right to do what you do, any others have the right to their opinion, whatever position that comes from, be it medical, layman, what have you. That is just the things you will have to deal with. To avoid such in the future, you might want to start a thread discussing Darkspace and how meditation may affect players, and then say that if anyone wants to know more, they should send you an email or IM. You can direct them to one of many sites on the net that are good, simple, and have no other names, but also have nothing to do with you. If at that point they want to have some sort of TS mediatation class, it is out of this forum's concern I think. You get the idea though.

It is unfortunate things heated up like they did, but that is human nature to get at the truth of something, whether it is absolutely true or not. Arguing will only help if it resolves something, and since this likely won't, there is likely something along the Eightfold Path that will hopefully help you do what you and others think is right, without you forsaking what you want.

Hope I helped-

Steamrunner

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-09 00:47   
The whole point is Dark wants to get some freinds together to share something with. And I'm sorry to say, fact is fact.

This very same arguement is why actual cures to desease are not allowed to happen. Yes we cure minor ailments and such. But real desease are not cured for 10's of years because the medical comunity(FDA, Drug MFG, etc) do not allow cures to be let out. The fact is the FDA has declared DRUGS to be the first and final answer to all known afflictions, mental or otherwise. If someone is feeling bad, and other folks feel the same way it is now immediately classified as a disease. An example being ADD, or Acid Reflux Disease, or OMG "Chronic Fatigue Syndrone". There are simple things that you can do at home to be rid of these things(Like Eating Habits, Simple things you can take from your fridge). Why don't we know about these things? You are not allowed to know, nor is the medical community allowed to tell you. It's against the law. But why you ask? Because ONLY DRUGS can cure diseases. The things in your fridge you can eat are not drugs. Therefore, legally they cannot fix a medical ailment. If someone who made a remedy for say Acid Reflux disease and called it a cure. The FDA would shut them down, because the have not aquired a liscense to produce a "drug".

This arguement is the same crap over again. Lawyers have destroyed most of the legal system. Thats why when you come upon a car wreck and attempt to help a dying person, YOU ARE NOW LIABLE FOR THAT PERSONS LIFE OR DEATH. The family can sue you in civil court for wrongfull death. AND ALOT OF IDIOTS DO. I'm sorry, but meditation is nothing more than being relaxed, I will argue till the hot place freezes over about it being THE MOST rediculous thing I have ever heard to have to get a liscense. The medical community is the MOST corrupt thing I HAVE EVER WITNESSED. I beleive me I have witnessed their cruelty, neglect and greed first hand on many occasions. A preacher needs no liscense to minister.

This is the silliest arguement I have ever heard.

Dark man I'm sorry, I would just drop it, or if some folks have their way greedy people in high dollar suits with legal documents will be at Faustus's door with court orders trying to sue him over the his website being used to facilitate medical practice without a liscense.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Malarthi
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-09 18:22   
This is exceedingly hard for me to type, but I am requesting a lock, as Kenetiks has a point, and no futher amount of arguing will change this. Could someone archive this in a locked forum please, for history sake? Thanks.

Cheers,
Darkdna

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.014449 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR