No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » A thought or two
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author A thought or two
Distel {Combat BUMpkin} Stolz
Cadet
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2005-01-23 17:20   
One of the things that people used to praise DarkSpace for was its sense of “Community.” Regardless of the lag and the many and sundry game bugs that made play difficult and often impossible, I have seen posts here and on other web sites lauding the wonderful “community” found at DarkSpace. One of the reasons that I don’t play much anymore is that I think this “community” that everyone is talking about is on its way down the tubes.

Players are vindictive and cruel in their appraisal and responses to people who play a faction in opposition to theirs. Posts are impolite and often written with the express purpose to insult and impugn the character of other people. I say “people” because there are actual living, breathing, and feeling people behind the names of the players of DarkSpace. The anonymity of the internet should not be a green light to forget common manners, a sense of decency, and maturity. Having said that, I fully realize that a large portion of the player base is not old enough to know real maturity…it is not realistic to expect a 14 year old to behave like an adult. The problem is that even though immature posters may not in fact be using language that violates the word of the RoC, I believe that many are choosing to use vocabulary that violates the Spirit of the RoC.

I believe the reason that so many people have become so factional is that we no longer have the FA server. It offered the chance for players to play factions other than their MV faction. Additionally, they often had to play with, rather than against, players who opposed them in the MV. This fostered the feeling that we were all players who were playing a game we all liked. This was the source, I believe, of that wonderful sense of “Community” that people used to praise DarkSpace for. But it’s gone now. You simply can’t have a gaming “community” where some, part, or most of the players ridicule, insult, and deride each other for choosing to play the ”opposite side.” If I sat down with a friend everyday to play chess, and he insulted me every time we played, I would soon choose not to play with him. Games are meant to be a fun form of entertainment.
When people take their games too seriously, they cease to be games.

A whole lot of you need to lighten it up a little bit. I realize that Richard Lyle has a busy life…wife, children, and a full time job. He can’t, of necessity, devote anything like a major portion of his time to DarkSpace development/improvement. Many veteran players have left the game because of the current patch. I would suggest that the patch has nothing to do with it. The big Faustino will get that done when he is able. And we have had to wait for them before…often for long periods of time. The real thing that is driving people away is the deterioration in the level of communication between players and thus the loss of that wonderful DarkSpace “community.”

And before you reply, keep this in mind: I am an adult person trying to make a reasonable assessment of an unpleasant and contentious situation. I have not singled out any particular faction or individuals…nor do I wish to. The malaise is wide-spread and players from all factions, new and old alike are responsible. So please don’t take the time to write some lame, half-baked flame to this post. It shows you up for what you are (immature) and furthermore proves my point. I would like to think that the other servers could return and that the patch was soon forthcoming…but that does nothing for the current situation. Maybe we can come up with a solution, but as it stands our “community” is shack-happy, having been locked too long in the current patch and in the current Meta-Verse…and we are taking out our frustrations on each other in a most inglorious way. It isn’t pretty or pleasant to be around.

I like DarkSpace. I would like to continue to come here to play this “game.” But it is not what it once was and our “community” is not what it used to be. There will be a few of you who truly understand where I am coming from. There will be some who can’t, and they will be the ones who flame this post (and prove my point, by-the-way). This game helped me through a difficult time in my life by providing a stimulating, welcoming, and entertaining place where I could forget my real-life problems of having to care for two elderly parents with cancer, and watching one of those parents slowly die from that disease. I no longer find myself drawn to the game as I once was. I think maybe the DarkSpace “community” is showing just a little bit more of the harsh acerbic bite of “real life” than it should, and a little less of the “idealism” than it could.

Too bad.

My best to everyone and as an old friend used to say “Live Long and Prosper”

[ This Message was edited by: Distel Stolz on 2005-01-23 17:22 ]

CowboyFunk
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-23 17:42   
I agree, I think a lot of players in the newbie server are scared of talking because of being afraid of being insulted by a vet.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-23 18:10   
Vets shouldnt be playing on the newbie server in the first place. I have to agree though, but only half of what you said is true.

You forget the possitive side of the community, and the times we spend in the lobby jesting.

I hope this isnt some sort of perminant "goodbye" as I liked fighting against you in the MV and FA (back in ye old day).

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-01-23 18:11 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-23 18:24   
You nailed it on the dot.

And I cant help but notice the truthfulness and how valid each and every point in that post is.

Thank you for finnally laying it down on us

-Ent

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-23 20:06   
I declare this Tru7h.

Great post. I must personly agree

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-23 20:39   
Holy crap...

You pretty much summed up in one post everything I've been thinking about for a good while now, with great eloquence... well said. Very well said.

I most definitely agree that the old FA server was one of the mainstays of Darkspace, even though a lot of players complained that people played in FA instead of the MV, and thus it was removed.

That makes me sad.

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2005-01-23 20:42 ]

Email Bobamelius
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-01-23 22:43   
Yes...I tried to say this in my farewell post...however, i cannot muster such eloquence as you. The langauge i wouldve used probably wouldve resulted in a permanent ban.

Coleseus
Cadet

Posted: 2005-01-24 00:24   
Quote:

On 2005-01-23 17:20, Distel Stolz wrote:
One of the reasons that I don’t play much anymore is that I think this “community” that everyone is talking about is on its way down the tubes.

Distel.. i totally agree with you. Many new players that have joined darkspace have turned the community upside down. Darkspace is not what it used to be when many of us first started off. Even though factions/fleets should have their own team spirits. They should not be insulting the players in other factions. After all, it's just a game. Also, regarding vets playing in the newbie server, i think vets should be allowed to play in it. This also helps us to socialize with the new players. Helping them to experience what we experienced before when we had a nice community. =)

Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-01-24 03:00   
I have only been playing DS for a short while, and am still in the newbie server practicing till I get good enough to subscribe. I look forward to fighting alongside S.W. (thank you for your invite Jebu$, will confirm it soon) at that point. I have noticed that while there is some healthy jesting going on in the lobby and likely on the forum, there is an undercurrent of fear, hate or insecurity affecting the community-basically your post in a nutshell.

Thank you for having the cajones to be blunt and forthright, because obviously you must care about this gathering of players, and would like it to stay a community rather than what it might become. Its funny, it takes someone who knows and lives with loss to understand what it can mean for himself and those around him-maybe the people who need to read this thread will do so, and in so doing learn to avoid losing what we have here.

Steamrunner
(Future Heavy Transport, Bomber Scout & Destroyer pilot of S.W.)

Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-24 03:18   
MMM thought provoking stuff,
To a certain extent the community has evolved along with the game, All communities face the same problems as you have quoted. People become familiar with each other and politeness tends to drop off. New members join, pick up the current levels and attitudes of the community and respond accordingly. Therefore increasing the rate of decline, because they perceive that this is how the community acts and to be a part of that community then there behaviour should be according to community rules.
What is needed is a back to basics approach, get back to common sense, decency in interaction and respect for all players both newbs and vets.
In order to challenge the status quo its up to the mods and the satff to clamp down on bullying behaviour. Dont be afraid to use to kick button. A few reminders dont do anybody any harm.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-01-24 03:38   
well as one that actuly was one of those advocating for the removal of the FA server i mostly have to agree here.

but im smashed between 2 rocks here.

current build / system is not suitet for senario servers takes to long to actuly get working planets.

on the other hand having a fluid battel server where you can get to fly the op sides ships and battel it out is needed since best way to fight anyone is actuly to try out their ships under battel conditions.

faustus/devteam might want to consider someway of an modefied senario server.

but to battel that all just hang out on the senario servers with an empty MV as result, what was the reason for removing the FA server in the first place, i was thinking that with the upcomming influence/command/mission system, could include ways to make the the mv an must play to get ship classes, where some bages thats req for ships, only can be aquiered in the mv and this could include an spicial mv play timer so you can only fly that dred or cruzz if you have flowen xx amounts of time and/or made xx amount of missions in mv.

just a thaught.

could make it possible to have the best of both worlds.

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-24 15:24   
Well said. I agree with it all.

But I think it's a little harsh to say that a 14-year old can't be expected to be mature. I do agree with it somewhat, in which most teens think they are invulnerable due to anonymity. I was a bit startled because I'm 15, and I'd like o think I've acted maturely in terms of manners.

In any case, the community is degrading. Just look at the "Latest Topics" list. See any appraisal? Any somewhat good-spirited post (except for my shiny, happy one). For that matter, any neutral posts giving info? Why do they think by posting something that has been stated 400+ times and is a known issue will help change it faster? It is a proven fact that the more you whine, the worse the problems become. Just look at 1.482. We kept whining and nagging over a lag fix, causing Big F to rush out a patch that just brought more problems. A rant will not solve anything, which is why I think its dumb that people keep posting. All their doing is increasing their appearance as a whiner, not "opening the eyes" of Development to realize "OMG! There's a problem with this game? I thought it was bug-free! How did I not notice all the other 200 flux rants?"

As for in-lobby, the only thing I notice is that any newbie who asks a question is utterly ignored, by regular player/mod alike. We can't get more players/paying customers/more funds for development if we keep ignoring them. We should make players feel confortable here, or else why will they continue to come?

I like this post because no one has criticized the community yet, probably because the people themselves are the problem, and their pride won't let them look bad. This is fresh, new. It might actually be useful, as those who have the maturity to realize their faults will overcome them, and in turn make the whole populous just that much better.

-Axalon

Email Axalon
Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-01-24 19:53   
I bet you have acted well Axalon, he means the majority of younger folks who have spouted off at the mouth and thought with their emotions rather than cultivating any kind of real awareness and humility.

Only one thing about your post that has been different in my experience, and that is all of my questions asked in the lobby have been answered, notabaly by members of S.W. (Depthcharge, Jebu$, Backslash, and another admiral who has UGTO/ICC in his name is just on the tip of my tongue) along with CEC Antdizzle and some others who I regretfully do not remember names of. I asked many questions, some I knew had to have been asked before, and even had a decent debate about. There was a bit of faction flaming last time I was in the lobby, but it still stayed within polite boundaries, and did not have any malice behind it.

Overall, your post goes to show what younger players CAN do that is helpful to making DS a better place, and I thank you for it sir. =o]

Steamrunner

Creeping Shadow
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-24 20:35   
wel said , i juz got a lil to add to this ... it was wonderful as we were a community and me with my bad spelling ... and from what i read every day in forum things have change .... so juz a word of advise we cannot expect a community where peope often come and goes to remain the same .. so best bet is those who already are in the community jus try to respect each other the best you can and treat each other as you would if ya meet them in RL ... some times things may get heated but if u add no fuel to the flame the fire will eventualy die down so juz b cool bout stuffs .... and everyone remember it'z juz a game but the community that come along with the game is of real people so ... bahh with my half ass santance forming skills i can't really say what i wanna but u get the general idea

we had a community once we can have a great communitity again if we all juz respect each other and leave in game aggrestion to your space bar mashing not blame throwing and windging ..... if sum one is bing a (donkey) juz ignore him/her sooner or later he will come to their sense ... dunt add anymore agresstion ...

wuv everyone and hope they wuv u bak

>o.0< ruffie out

|2eason
Grand Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-01-24 21:19   
I said along time ago I would probably be the last person out the door when this game died. Things change, Darkspace and the "community" are not exempt. In five days, I will no longer consider this place a part of my life, at least not in the way it has been the past three years.

The community reflects those who watch over it. When people leave, someone takes their place and the attitudes change. Over time, the staff has slowly changed course with each change of the guard. With my resignation from staff, many began to question the state of their involvement in Darkspace.

Even if you decide to take a break from life, life goes on with or without you. Things change, people change and there is a choice to make. Some ignore the truth and become ignorant in order to see what they want to see, to have what they want to believe in. Others see things as they are and accept it, make their decisions based off of it.

As each new "regime" took office within the staff, the community slowly changed to conform to the new "attitude" that came with it. The people in charge had a choice: Ignore the reality and believe that everything was hunky-doory, or see things for what they are and what is happening and try to do something about it.

So far, things have only gotten progressively worse, which has helped to drive even more people away that saw things for what they are. The more people that have left, the worse things got. The Only way this community can survive in its original form is if the people belonging to that community believe in and practice what they preach. Most of the people that join this community these days are not privy to the Darkspace of old, the Community this place once was. They are given the example of what Darkspace is today, and if people are abusive towards one another more often then not, guess what the new people will learn and think is acceptible.

I could go on all day, and continue to criticize that which I once belonged to, but from my experience, it wont change anything here. There is a problem out there, one that has finally been pointed out. This problem needs to be addressed and addressed correctly or it will only help to destroy that which is now known as Darkspace.

- |2eason -

[-[A]-]|2eason the retired

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029282 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR