Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » New Content Management System?
 Author New Content Management System?
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-07 13:10   
Hey guys, I'm thinking of writing a new content management system. I have tried nuke, post nuke, etc, they have features galore, but are not really what I'm looking for. I also see alot of people trying to get a grasp of the theming scripts that run them, and some of the modules don't display information the way I like. I would simply alter the code but as alot of coders know, its sometimes very painstaking to delve into someone elses work and just start modding it on the fly.

So I've struck upon the idea that I might design my own. I would like to start out very simple. I have plans already for the theming engine, and would like to add support for custom mods. But for the basic CMS itself, I would like to know just what features people might want to see, after all I wouldn't create a CMS just for myself, I would like to see other people use it too.

Basicly I just want some feedback on the idea, just see what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance,
kenetiks

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-07 13:17   
Good system management, like setting properties on specific area's of the forum (You are talking about a forum right, as nuke and Pnuke are forum systems).

Also get some good member mangment, like setting time bans etc, setting permisions on a member.

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-07 13:23   
Well, I would like to see an actual CMS come out of this, as Nuke and Post-Nuke have little or no "content" to them. They are more "look pretty and lets talk" kind of thing.

I would like to put in a news management system, but not so prominent as nukes, and allow the user to actually "build the page" on the fly, so to speak.

I don't know I just have alot of ideas floating around in my head...
Its kinda crammed in there ATM...

Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-07 15:04   
Have a look at my site (link in profile). Made from scratch, and completely customizable through the onsite admin section. Features user center, admin center and shoutbox, along with news and faq content scripts. Downside is that atm im still limited to page per page, havent put work into modules yet.

If you want I could send you the source, so you can do some digging...

Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-07 15:14   
Oh yeah and register, i'll let you have a look in the admin section.

Keep in mind tho I'm far from finished... wanted a working site asap, I'm still improving it.

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-07 16:34   
Registration, update, and login systems are simple, of course you can make them as complex as needed to handle a variety of uses.

What I'm looking for is more input on how the actual content should work.

I'm working now on the theme system and trying to make it as versatile as I can. The theme system I want to be as least like most systems now. To me it should be about building the pages the way you want them and not about simple downloading and installing theme packs or themes from other sites, although it will be possible to install other peoples themes.

I want to be able to plug in modules and allow users who can write php to instantly plug in thier scripts to the system. A Good example would be write a script to search google and display results, just plug it in to the site and it will work. Just a bunch of stuff I have ideas for.

I just have alot of ideas to make it really good, but I need some feedback on direction or what features maybe some of you would like to see.

[ This Message was edited by: kenetiks{GTN} on 2005-01-07 16:36 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-07 18:48   
I have a nice suggestion which would drasticly improve almost any user-created site:

-A whole section devoted to where and how to learn to script their own pages (as most people would want the ultimate custumization options yet not know how to do so.)

-Ent

Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-07 22:10   
http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/programming/php/index.html

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-01-08 00:51   
I just wrote my own - although its more like a glorified Newspro than an actual CMS. Site design is maintained through header & footer files that need to be filled with a design you make or have access to - and you need to know exactly where to seperate the tables to fill in the blanks. I can send you a copy of it, but its barely commented, sometimes buggy, and very hard to work with. You can't customize what is displayed from the admin panel, and you have to be well versed in PHP & MySQL to make any changes. The upside is it works with pretty much any website layout known to man

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-08 02:57   
Thanks, but not exactly what I had in mind Darksoul. The coding I can do. I'm just looking more for suggestions that anything else.

I want to keep it very raw. Enterprise is right. A whole section dedicated to how to customize and code for it. Plenty of working examples.

Page created in 0.015773 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR